Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690912
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193444 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW Armatura Sheets6/9/13**
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
I rest my case.

And he MUST be right.

After all, he IS a Doctor!

:D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »
 lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2013, 12:45:41 AM »
Pics and AAR coming up from this past weekend at Southern Front (convention in Raleigh, NC)...once I can be assed to get my camera out of the car!

lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2013, 06:20:36 AM »
I was able to play a couple of games one-v-one with one of my buddies and then we recruited my buddy's dad and a couple of fellow game designers to partake in a 2 vs. 2 game.  Overall, a lot of praise, and a very very hectic fight.  The two-v-two game ended up being over 8 turns, and was the longest game I've seen played, just a constant back and forth, constant respite, reengage etc.  Very intense stuff.  I was off to host a game and didn't see the end, but two gladiators bled out and one chopped off the arm of the remaining opponent.  Lots of fun was had lots of blood was spilled.  While not caught in a photo the Thraex valiantly defended his fellow Provocator when his shield was stripped off of him, fighting off both opponents.  The addition of the pali made it very dangerous, with many gladiators being knocked prone while fighting with their backs to the posts.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2013, 07:04:39 AM »
Good to know it's workable as a four way game.

I've noticed that you're using pen strokes to indicate wounds, it's something that Malamute, Mason Jimbibbly and I were discussing last time we met (and BIbbles the Parader was victorious).  We were considering if it would be a good idea to have some check boxes at each location on the Armatura sheet so they could be crossed off as wounds occur. It reduces the need for counters and makes it easier to do the post match admin just in case the Armatura sheet gets knocked and the counters go everywhere.

Dr D

PS - is the double thumbs up now the de-facto post match Parading pose? lol

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »
I've noticed that you're using pen strokes to indicate wounds, it's something that Malamute, Mason Jimbibbly and I were discussing last time we met (and BIbbles the Parader was victorious).  We were considering if it would be a good idea to have some check boxes at each location on the Armatura sheet so they could be crossed off as wounds occur. It reduces the need for counters and makes it easier to do the post match admin just in case the Armatura sheet gets knocked and the counters go everywhere.

I strongly concur with that. Boxes to be ticked off reduce the effect of general clumsiness suffered by many gamers (me included).
As much as I like the all new, artful armatura sheets I would recommend to include the basic versions as well – these are ideal for one-off use, no need to laminate them pretty papers. ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
Good stuff  :)

How did the poles on the bases effect the game? If pressed up against one does it count as being pressed against a wall?

Don't see why not  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
Great stuff Elbows. They looked like they were enjoying themselves. :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW AAR 9/9/13**
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
Yep, we just mark wounds with the marker, then add tokens (I forgot I actually have hundreds of "bleeding" tokens I should be using!).  Regarding the posts, yep we just throw them in there for a minor obstacle.  If you're backed against a post you do count as being backed against a wall.  Thus you risk being knocked prone, etc.  Also, when using multiple gladiators, movement becomes very paramount.

Like most one-vs-one gladiator games, the movement is not super important.  With teammates it becomes much more so.  With our house rules there is a huge penalty to being pinned between two opponents etc.

It was a load of fun, and everyone had a blast (don't worry about the looks of consternation in the pics!)  lol

PS: The Myrmillo suffered a 4-wound stab which bled 4 friggin' times!  That was what led to his downfall (he and the opposing provocator both became spent at the same time, leaving the provocator and Thraex to battle it out).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:48:53 AM by Elbows »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
Thanks Elbows for that AAR. Your game looks great and it looks like it was a great success.

I think your multi-gladiator tweaks will come in quite useful for some special events etc, although having not tested them myself, still fear it may leave a long lull for the gladiators not actively attacking/defending.

The addition of the pali will certainly stir things up, in a similar way as fighting in a smaller arena - making movement and positioning much more important.

As much as I like the all new, artful armatura sheets I would recommend to include the basic versions as well – these are ideal for one-off use, no need to laminate them pretty papers. ;)

I have already discussed this with Dr Mathias a while back, who, as could be imagined, was not phased by the thought of simpler armatura sheets in the slightest. Keeping the old style sheets and adding some boxes, is of course not a problem. I did toy with the idea of check-boxes in an earlier version, but thought it looked a little too Battletech and I didn't want the need for a pen/marker anywhere while playing. Others have said the same about the counters of course. I guess it comes down to personal preference, regardless, I would still suggest using counters for marking fatigue, bleeding, favour etc.

I think that's a given.  :D

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

Bibbles....? Bibbles...?
Is that you, mate...?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Bibbles....? Bibbles...?
Is that you, mate...?

lol

A bit thinner perhaps and the moustache ages him, but it certainly looks like Bibbles. ;)

lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »
My arse it does  :-[

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
My arse it does  :-[

James, you are much more handsome than that man and have slightly better taste in clothes.  ;)

Don't let them steal your glory mate - haters!  >:(

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
Haters gonna hate  ;)

cheers

James