Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690888
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193314 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW AAR 9/9/13**
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »
My arena is quite small and it's made for some interesting games as it tends not to be a good thing to be up against the wall  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
What would the author, and anyone else who's played BoS, say is the optimal size for a circular arena (in inches) for this game?

Ultimately the arena size is up to you. Even the hex sizes are unimportant, as long as they fit your choice of figure well.  :)

Mostly, the size of the arena will effect how important maneuvering becomes to avoid hitting the wall. In a larger arena this aspect can be almost ignored, but in a smaller arena it becomes a threat that gladiators need to figure into their moves.

I personally play on an oval grid 11 x 9 hexes. This is "small" enough that the wall rule still comes into effect.

The arena in the first posts of this thread was a little too small. A good couple of attacks from your opponent would find you hitting the wall very quickly. But this could work for more of a "death pit" kind of arena.

But to answer your question, for a circular arena I would say 11" in diameter would be optimal.

Depending on where you live, I'm sure jimbibbly could whip you up a great circular arena in no time.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
My project will probably end up around 14"x20" (enough room for two vs. two combats).  It will have 1.5" hexes most likely...will post when a rough draft is made.  Also, no reason you couldn't use various size set-ups.  By varying the size you'd be varying the type of fighting immensely.  A fight inside a small patron's courtyard might be more close and bloody than a normal arena, where the Coliseum would obviously give you a large fighting area etc.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
I need to write mine up!  My Hopomachus skewered my Myrmidon.....  It was awful!

I'll get to this once I get home from the States!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
Too Bo Coo, if you end up near South Carolina while you're here, let me know - I'll host a game or two for ya!  lol

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
I'm not sure why I get why you would need a larger arena for 2 pairs of gladiators. Other than an increased chance for collisions between men, pair 1 has a surface to fight on and pair 2 has a surface to fight on, both the same size. Why do they need more room?

The game also isn't really meant for multiple combats, is it? Is the idea that you would have two separate games going on in the same arena? Or could one player control a pair of gladiators?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Nope, all personal preference.  :D

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
I need to write mine up!  My Hopomachus skewered my Myrmidon.....  It was awful!

I'll get to this once I get home from the States!

Please do Too Bo Coo - I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not sure why I get why you would need a larger arena for 2 pairs of gladiators. Other than an increased chance for collisions between men, pair 1 has a surface to fight on and pair 2 has a surface to fight on, both the same size. Why do they need more room?

The game also isn't really meant for multiple combats, is it? Is the idea that you would have two separate games going on in the same arena? Or could one player control a pair of gladiators?

Elbows has been experimenting with running multiple pairs of gladiators, something the rules were not originally designed for, but apparently work. I haven't had the opportunity to play test Elbows tweaks properly, but do intend to when I have completed the campaign rules for play testing. Regardless, multiple gladiators in the arena would be a "special event", not a common occurrence. I think a "normal" sized arena would still suffice though - as Elbows said it is his personal preference to make a larger one.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Yep, and while I don't imagine I'll be needing another Gladiator rules set, why not be prepared?  Occasionally my buddies like to play Arena Games for a more beer-n-pretzels (read: drunk) approach.  Games like require much more movement/space by comparison and we often play 4 people per game etc.   I am also going to shoe-horn some rules together to fight small groups of slaves, perhaps animals etc.  I also find that a slightly large arena/mat makes it a bit more accessible when you're gaming.  Also, something about the size of an arena showing off how well developed your town or province is anyway... lol

I think the beauty of BOTS though is that you can make it very travel friendly, as far as the arena goes.  A simple sheet of paper can suffice, or some of the beautiful small cookie tin arenas which are so popular here.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
All sounds good. I think pairs of Gladiators and a Gladiator vs an animal would be nice to have, but larger than that I may go for a different system--which is fine. I have no issue with using BOTS for man-to-man and something else when I want a grand melee. I'm thinning about investing in the Steve Barber Arena actually as it's about 11" across, which is perfect size according to Furt  :D I'll just need to find a way to create a hexed sand insert for the arena floor...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #310 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm thinning about investing in the Steve Barber Arena actually as it's about 11" across, which is perfect size according to Furt  :D I'll just need to find a way to create a hexed sand insert for the arena floor...

I am sure one of Jimbibbly's would work just fine.
 ;)

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
This looks awesome! So good that I had to create an account on this forum to say so ;)

Now I'm off to order some models...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
This looks awesome! So good that I had to create an account on this forum to say so ;)

Now I'm off to order some models...

It is awesome and is truly a very enjoyable game. ;D

Frank, how are those campaign rules coming along. ??? :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
It is awesome and is truly a very enjoyable game. ;D

Frank, how are those campaign rules coming along. ??? :)

I have to admit I've been a bit slack posting on the forum lately, but haven't been sitting on my laurels. I've managed quite a few play test games (the photos sucked) and even ran a game or two at a local convention, where BotS was well received.

And I have been working hard on the campaign rules and really do hope to have them ready soon.  :)

I'm just tying up a few lose ends and then they'll be ready for you blokes to pull apart!!  lol

After that I need to do a QRS (jimbibbly has requested that a few times) and then I will finally try and complete the rulebook proper. I've heard a few times now that even though the game may be 80% finished and is good, it is the last 20% that could make it great. And that 20% is proving a challenge! 

On another note I've been jotting down notes for a BotS fantasy and "death pit" (hope that's not a GW term) supplement that I hope to produce as well. I've even painted a few figures with a fantasy twist that I've wanted to paint for some time.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
All sounds good Frank  8)

You're certainly onto a winner with this one  :)

cheers

James