Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193434 times)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Examples of Counters
« Reply #375 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
Fantastic counters  :-*

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #376 on: November 18, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
Thanks all - sounds like that's a thumbs up then.  :)

Also, here is a quick glimpse of how the armatura will be presented in the book.

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #377 on: November 18, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
Looking really, really good. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #378 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
That is really very nice.  :D

I look forward to being able to play this game once released, the effort gone into the graphic representations is brilliant. Should be a lovely rulebook just to look at.  :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:53:08 PM by Ray Earle »
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Examples of Counters
« Reply #379 on: November 18, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Frank, it all looks just fantastic!  The counters, the Style Entry  (Hoplomachus is my favorite!)

AND I have an opponent (who is not my lovely fiancee) lined up for Thursday night and I can get a legit full game in!  I'll post up the AAR with pics over the weekend! 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #380 on: November 18, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Very nice. And I´m going to paint this gladiator from "Brigade Games" in this moment!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #381 on: November 18, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
Is the game actually going to be sold as a printed copy, or is it going to be print and play? I would love to have all the counters on thick card or chits.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #382 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
AND I have an opponent (who is not my lovely fiancee) lined up for Thursday night and I can get a legit full game in!  I'll post up the AAR with pics over the weekend!  

That's good news TBC, not that playing with the fiancee is a bad thing - I wish I could get my better half to have a game!  lol

Is the game actually going to be sold as a printed copy, or is it going to be print and play? I would love to have all the counters on thick card or chits.

Now that's the real dilemma axabrax. Being a struggling "backyard" game designer, doesn't leave a lot of options. The task of publishing a hardcopy book and having the necessary sheets and counters printed on decent card stock is going to cost a lot of green stuff, compared to releasing this in PDF form as "print & play". Although I would love to see BotS in actual book form, it seems unlikely at this stage. The only alternative would be to KS it, which I'm not really keen to do. There is also the dice dilemma to consider - whether I get some made professionally (very expensive) or let everyone make their own with blank dice.  :?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:29:58 PM by Furt »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #383 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »
As someone else suggested, just make the dice images available as a download.  That is what the SAGA folks did, or else come up with a table of comparison numbers/images.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #384 on: November 18, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Actually, with the pdf now, I think I can just print to a clear vinyl 'paper' then cut and stick those to the dice. 

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #385 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Now that's the real dilemma axabrax. Being a struggling "backyard" game designer, doesn't leave a lot of options. The task of publishing a hardcopy book and having the necessary sheets and counters printed on decent card stock is going to cost a lot of green stuff, compared to releasing this in PDF form as "print & play". Although I would love to see BotS in actual book form, it seems unlikely at this stage. The only alternative would be to KS it, which I'm not really keen to do. There is also the dice dilemma to consider - whether I get some made professionally (very expensive) or let everyone make their own with blank dice.  :?

I wonder how much it cost to produce Stargrunt and Dirtside, both were softcover staple-bound IIRC and both included two sheets of heavy 'chit' counters.

I looked into having some BotS dice made for myself and they're not cheap. If enough people got together I would bring costs down, but I know I wouldn't want to take a leap of faith and get stuck with hundreds of extra dice.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #386 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
As someone else suggested, just make the dice images available as a download.  That is what the SAGA folks did, or else come up with a table of comparison numbers/images.

The dice symbols will always be available with the rules or as a download to make your own. Alternatively you can of course use standard six sided dice, the symbols have a corresponding number, but you do lose some of the flavour and ease of play IMOP. My intention was never to market the dice, but others have expressed a want for "proper" dice and I guess it would be nice as an option.

Actually, with the pdf now, I think I can just print to a clear vinyl 'paper' then cut and stick those to the dice. 

On the play test dice sheet I describe how I do my own dice, quite simply - print on normal paper, cover with contact than cut out and stick to blank dice with PVA glue. I'd love to hear the results TBC of an alternative way.

I wonder how much it cost to produce Stargrunt and Dirtside, both were softcover staple-bound IIRC and both included two sheets of heavy 'chit' counters.

I must admit I have not looked into boardgame quality counters, simply because I believe the price will be way too much. The counters deserve to be on nice card stock for sure. Personally I mount mine on a vinyl tile that I cut up. It makes the counters weighty and sturdy.

I looked into having some BotS dice made for myself and they're not cheap. If enough people got together I would bring costs down, but I know I wouldn't want to take a leap of faith and get stuck with hundreds of extra dice.

That's the key. Lots of 1000 are the only options really for anywhere near an affordable price when buying custom dice. Considering each player needs a maximum of 12 dice, that's about 80 sets.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #387 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
Furt,
        Any closer to having the rules available? I have an actual Hobby Shop about 20 minutes from me that stocks the 54mm Pegasus sets.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #388 on: November 19, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
The campaign rules have been passed on to a select few for an initial going over, then I'd hope for that part of the rules to be play tested further. So we are still a way off yet Nick.   :(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #389 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

On the play test dice sheet I describe how I do my own dice, quite simply - print on normal paper, cover with contact than cut out and stick to blank dice with PVA glue. I'd love to hear the results TBC of an alternative way.

I copied Frank's instructions and they have worked out fine. It only took about an hour and the cost of the blank dice was minimal.

Hoping to get a few matches in this week with the beginnings of a campaign. :)