Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193355 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Spiked Palus and Weapon Markers
« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
James WON a bout?  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  o_o

Impossible!

;)

Frank, I think your spiked palus look brilliant. Great addition to the game  :)
Richard, don't make Jokes about James. Or Germanicus will come again to the British Arena.... :D
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Humboldt

• Student
  • [Spheniscus humboldti]
« Reply #436 on: December 01, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
It is my first post here and I need to admit that I fall in love. I always want to enter this charming and somehow miraculously tabletop world but never found the entrance (no partner, to big armies, money et cetera). I'm a scholar of ancient history and stumbled a couple of weeks ago over a nice paper about gladiators and after a google research I land on your blog and on this forum. And from the point I see all of those pictures (such wonderful painted miniatures, lads - I guess I will never be able to do it by myself) and your game here I decided to enter this arena, so to speak. Thankfully I already found a retailer who offers Crusader Miniatures (not that easy), so I guess this will be a good start.

I already read that you are working on single player rules Furt which is somethin realy good for me because I'm not quite sure that I'm able to convince my girlfriend to play with me. But may I asked some other questions? At some point will be there some rules for equites? Maybe a little bit tricky because of the different dynamic of the battle but a nice addition fot the opening of the games nonetheless. Another question I have in mind is how bloody or more specifically deadly will 'Blood on the Sands' will be related in terms of realism and gameflow (maybe a balancing act). Also, will there be some campaign (and experience) rules? Just curious.

Sorry for my English. Keep up the wonderful work!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #437 on: December 01, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
It is my first post here and I need to admit that I fall in love. I always want to enter this charming and somehow miraculously tabletop world but never found the entrance (no partner, to big armies, money et cetera). I'm a scholar of ancient history and stumbled a couple of weeks ago over a nice paper about gladiators and after a google research I land on your blog and on this forum. And from the point I see all of those pictures (such wonderful painted miniatures, lads - I guess I will never be able to do it by myself) and your game here I decided to enter this arena, so to speak. Thankfully I already found a retailer who offers Crusader Miniatures (not that easy), so I guess this will be a good start.

Welcome Humboldt to LAF, a most amazing place! Don't doubt your own ability to get some gaming going, especially after seeing all of the inspiration here. Gladiators is a great way to start, needing so few figures.

I already read that you are working on single player rules Furt which is somethin realy good for me because I'm not quite sure that I'm able to convince my girlfriend to play with me. But may I asked some other questions? At some point will be there some rules for equites? Maybe a little bit tricky because of the different dynamic of the battle but a nice addition fot the opening of the games nonetheless. Another question I have in mind is how bloody or more specifically deadly will 'Blood on the Sands' will be related in terms of realism and gameflow (maybe a balancing act). Also, will there be some campaign (and experience) rules? Just curious.

I have contemplated single player rules for Blood on the Sands often and I've been working on rules for beasts in the arena that may transfer across to gladiators as well. I'm sure you could convince your girlfriend to fight you in the arena.  ;)

From what I have heard of equites they actually entered the arena mounted and then dismounted to fight on foot. They would not be a far stretch to simulate this, but mounted combat could be tricky.  :?

BotS can be deadly, but in my own experiences most gladiators will survive their match and live to fight another day, as long as he can sway the crowd. I have only had a single gladiator killed instantly in the arena, but the majority of matches involve the losing gladiator asking for missio.

There are campaign rules being playtested at the moment.

Thanks for the interest and again, welcome to LAF.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Humboldt

• Student
  • [Spheniscus humboldti]
« Reply #438 on: December 01, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and your reply, mate! Not quite certain about my girlfriend but I'm sure I could have fun in any case. :)

Mounted combat and maybe the transition dynamics could be indeed tricky. I was just curious because crusader miniatures offers some equites and I thought about buying it at some point. But best news at this point is that you working and testing campaign rules. I've made up my mind yesterday about some dealings like the different career stages (maybe pre-prime, prime, post-prime, end and retirement coupled on the number of fights and therefore also experience (and maybe popularity)) et cetera. It is really fun to plan things and details like that.

By the way I realy enjoy reading both your blog and this thread. So many interesting input, it is amazing.

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2013, 09:09:13 AM »
Hi Furt, what are the chances of these being ready before Christmas as the wife needs something to buy me  ;)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #440 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »
Hi Furt, what are the chances of these being ready before Christmas as the wife needs something to buy me  ;)

Nil, unfortunately.  :-[

The campaign rules still need work and play testing. I am trying gents...

Offline Humboldt

• Student
  • [Spheniscus humboldti]
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

As I'm pretty new and quite unfamiliar in the tabletop word I'd like to ask you what kind of aspects your campaign rules cover?

On a side note, I'm really pumped up about your game and Gladiators atm. I spend the whole Monday in the university library, reading present literature. Also I order nearly all available Gladiators from Crusaders (Murmillones & Crupellarius, Secutores & Scissor, Retarii & Laqueaius, Thraeces & Hoplomachii, Provocatores & Dimachaeri and the Officials), so I will be ready to spread some blood on the sand. :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #442 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
As I'm pretty new and quite unfamiliar in the tabletop word I'd like to ask you what kind of aspects your campaign rules cover?

The campaign rules have the players (lanistae) and their ludi competing against eachother to become the most influential for the gladiatorial game year (between 6-12 game turns). Each lanista must maintain a stable of gladiators from the differing armaturae to insure a good selection of matches. Gladiators improve through training and success in the arena, but may also be killed (obviously), become wounded or have their attributes reduced through serious injury. Lanista spend their wealth on assets (like a larger domus, ludus etc or talented doctor or medicus) and in buying new slaves or even trained gladiators.
The bulk of the campaign game is the arrangement of matches (libellus gladiatorum) and fighting them. Some subtle tactics can develop when choosing the pairings, to deny an opponent for example, the use of his better gladiators. Their are some "special events" that include fights to the death (sine missione), two gladiators against one veteran (suppositicius), obstacles being placed in the arena, gladiator against beast and possibly a free for all combat.

Offline Humboldt

• Student
  • [Spheniscus humboldti]
« Reply #443 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, Frank. Sounds splendid. I really like the concept. Particularly the possible longevity! Definitely some rules I realy look for especially with the movement of the fights itself. A total package you are working on, mate. In theory, and for matchmaking aspects, how many schools are possible side by side?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, Frank. Sounds splendid. I really like the concept. Particularly the possible longevity! Definitely some rules I realy look for especially with the movement of the fights itself. A total package you are working on, mate. In theory, and for matchmaking aspects, how many schools are possible side by side?

Thank you Humboldt.  :)

Any number of players is possible, but of cause the more lanistae, the more matches, the more time required. Some matches can stretch out while others may end more quickly.

The campaign aspects do not take much time at all after run through them a few times.

I can only suggest if playing a campaign with 4 or more players to run some matches simultaneously on separate boards.

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #445 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »
Nil, unfortunately.  :-[

Not a massive problem here, will ask for cash instead  ;)

Just out of interest do you have a rough price in mind for this yet?

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »
LOOOOOOONG overdue AAR's

This was my experience for 2 hours a week or so ago...  I kid you not.   I was simply too embarrassed to post these up.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
Yup, all dressed up and no one to take me to the Dance...lol

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
And today Za dropped by and we were able to get in two matches!

My Hoplomachus squared off with his Murmillo.  We both got lucky where my Gladiator had a 5 Skill and Za's had a 6 Strength.  The name of my game was not to be hit....

We had a GREAT time!  The rules were clear and after a practice play through we got in two good games and well, a Hoplomachus with a 5 skill and a spear is a DEADLY foe, especially one who has a compulsion to lop off the legs and arms of his opponents...  Yes, that happened both times.

This is how our second game ended....

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
Some highlights!