Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:05:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193326 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Spiked Palus and Weapon Markers
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
My brother and I started a small two-person campaign last night.  We were both tired so I've yet to properly assemble the names and such.  We played two quick rounds of our first tournament.

My Hoplomachus defeated his Thraex by severely crippling his shield arm (after forcing him to drop it).  He asked for missio and it was granted.

The next game, my brother's Hoplomachus (who rolled up a really stellar character) was fighting my Myrmillo (nicknamed "Mediocrates" for his...mediocrity...).  After two turns of constant back and forth counters and slashing my brother gambled on a powerful "killing blow" and boy did he.  He managed to spear my Myrmillo straight through his head, piercing his skull and killing him instantly.

The next two games will be played later - the next one was rolled up as Sine Missione...so that'll be interesting.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2013, 07:30:33 AM »
My brother and I started a small two-person campaign last night.  We were both tired so I've yet to properly assemble the names and such.  We played two quick rounds of our first tournament.

Cool - I'd be real interested in seeing the line up. We played our second campaign turn a couple of nights ago, but it's been so hot here I haven't been bothered to write anything up.  :(

My Hoplomachus defeated his Thraex by severely crippling his shield arm (after forcing him to drop it).  He asked for missio and it was granted.

The next game, my brother's Hoplomachus (who rolled up a really stellar character) was fighting my Myrmillo (nicknamed "Mediocrates" for his...mediocrity...).  After two turns of constant back and forth counters and slashing my brother gambled on a powerful "killing blow" and boy did he.  He managed to spear my Myrmillo straight through his head, piercing his skull and killing him instantly.

Sounds like two very interesting matches. You know we have still not managed to pull off a successful "Killing blow" - so jealous. We had a match where a Provocator's scutum was destroyed, but he still managed to win the bout.

The next two games will be played later - the next one was rolled up as Sine Missione...so that'll be interesting.

Bet the gladiators are both dieing to fight that one.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:53:06 AM by Furt »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #497 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
Yeah, I think we bent the rules a little bit, as the Hoplomachus was rolled up incredibly good (Strength 4, Speed 5...Prowess 4...a beast) - and he faced a normal "3's" Myrmillo of mine.  He rolled a killing blow using my skulls, his laurels, and he managed to roll one six.  He rolled close enough to direct the blow to the head, and then rolled 5 wounds directly to the head...4 of which were bleeding.  The kill actually came from the one stumble result --- piercing the skull.  Either way that poor Myrmillo was hosed from the get go... lol

The crowd enjoyed it, but it was only a three turn game.  The first two turns were a constant back and forth of nonstop counters. 

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #498 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
I've finally managed to get a hex board made, two gladiators painted, dice ready to go, and everything printed off. I was missing some counters, and I couldn't find the playsheets I'd originally printed. Hoping get some blood on the sands in the next couple days...

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #499 on: December 31, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
Looking forward to your first game and thoughts Dr. Mathias. Your arena floor looks great with those barely visible hexes. And I'm loving that Secutor's shield.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #500 on: January 01, 2014, 03:58:40 AM »
Now those are some pretty pics... :-*

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #501 on: January 01, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Great stuff, hope you enjoy the game. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline AJG

• Lurker
« Reply #502 on: January 02, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
These rules look very nice. I am looking forward to when I can buy this.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #503 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
I am intrigued by these rules to see how they stack against Arena Games.

The figures are ready and an arena set for them...if i remember where i put it.  :-I
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #504 on: January 03, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »
Two totally different games...we discussed it a bit earlier.

BOTS is a very in depth game centered around single combat between two opponents (though some of us have taken license and attempted two pairs...).  It is very tactical, etc.  It's not the simplistic popcorn and pretzels game that Arena Games is.

Lots of people, just looking for a quick fix?  Arena Games.

Much more detailed, realistic single combat?  Blood on the Sands. 

The beauty - as you mentioned is that you can play any Gladiator rules set if you have the minis (and lucky for us most of the rule sets are based on hex movement).  I have several Gladiator rules and was looking to make my own when I started playtesting Mr. Furt's product - and immediately changed my mind.  It's that good.  ;)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #505 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
As always thanks Elbows.  :)

I have not played Arena Games, one of the few gladiator rules I have yet to try, but thankfully Elbows has and he has played Blood on the Sands enough to know the differences.

When I designed Blood on the Sands I wanted to break away from a mere beer and pretzel game and try to capture the actual flavour of a gladiator duel, taking into account the unique weaponry and armour.

I really feel there is a place for all these gladiator rules - they all bring different things to the table.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #506 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Furt & Elbows: thank you for the explanation and remarks.  My friend and I shall be trying our hand at Blood On the Sands soon, I should hope.  Please keep us posted on an ETA for a release so we can toss an arbitrary amount of cash at you for your efforts sir!  o_o

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #507 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »
Furt & Elbows: thank you for the explanation and remarks.  My friend and I shall be trying our hand at Blood On the Sands soon, I should hope.  Please keep us posted on an ETA for a release so we can toss an arbitrary amount of cash at you for your efforts sir!  o_o

Will do zbyshko. Thanks for your support.  :)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
As always thanks Elbows.  :)

I have not played Arena Games, one of the few gladiator rules I have yet to try, but thankfully Elbows has and he has played Blood on the Sands enough to know the differences.

When I designed Blood on the Sands I wanted to break away from a mere beer and pretzel game and try to capture the actual flavour of a gladiator duel, taking into account the unique weaponry and armour.

I really feel there is a place for all these gladiator rules - they all bring different things to the table.

So far yours are my clear favorite!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #509 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »
I've played Blood on the Sands, Arena Games, some ghastly Two Hour Wargames one (Red Earth, Blue sky? - a super dry "nothing but charts" nonsense game), and I've read through Munera Sine Missione (an adaptation of an earlier rules set).  I played one other one, Viktus I believe? 

Of the bunch I've only enjoyed or found benefit in Arena Games (good party fun, we play it when we have 5-6 people and everyone grabs a gladiator at random and we play a free-for-all) and Blood on the Sands.

A beauty of Blood on the Sands is that the core rules are so excellent that (as I've done frequently...) you can adapt other things to the game without much problem.  You'll never want to run a huge melee battle with the rules, but we've successfully played pairs vs. pairs, and we'll be playtesting animals soon, and I've even built a Pontus to try some ad hoc games of "Single Retiriarius vs. two Secutors" etc.).

I might try to play a game via Skype with one of the English guys on this forum...and I'd be curious to see if we've both been playing it similarly (the biggest test of a set of rules...if two people reading them solo come to the same conclusions about how the game is played!).  Many of us have been providing a lot of feedback to Furt and each rendition of the rules is tighter and better - not that the first was bad to start with!

Due to the single combat nature of the game you could definitely play a fight on hexes measured on a single piece of paper (I just had the idea that someone should produce a small MDF sheet with hexes and a carry handle on the side!  lol).  It's a little paper-intensive with cheat sheets etc., but it would make a very very easy travel game.  Something you could set up on a coffee table in a hotel room.  I think Mr. Furt is doing this right by taking his time.  My own gaming project has become difficult as I released all of my components while I'm still polishing up the final rules (something I won't do my next game...).  While people might be chomping at the bit, I think the end result product you'll get will be 110% of your expectations, and I think it's mostly due to Mr. Furt taking his time and making sure it's good enough to release before doing so.