Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193377 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #630 on: July 08, 2014, 07:08:03 AM »
I really like there homepage and I checked some youtube videos of Amor Mortis. Like Frank, I wish there were such groups around...

That is an awesome shot you have captured there. The troupe look like real professionals.

I have spent countless hours looking at reenactor images and watching their youtube videos in an attempt to capture the feel of a real gladiator duel. They helped me determine how I wanted the game to flow, with back and forward pushes and lulls in between.

I wish such troupes existed in Australia, but alas no.  :(

You're welcome. Rather often I'm envy the British for their plenty of excellent wargaming shows. Maybe Roman history and reenactment are some things we could be envied then.    ;)
Joking aside as far as I know the Roemertage in Xanten are one of the largest gatherings of Roman reenactors. The Amor Mortis group is a very experienced group of gladiators but no professional actors or stuntmen. They're reenactors and try to perform real fights. Even though with blunt weapons I presume.

Thanks for the comments Monty, unfortunately play testing is pretty much done mate.  :)
Nothing to worry about. So I hope to be able to get the chance to acquire the finished rules soon.   ;)

Thanks for the comments Monty, unfortunately play testing is pretty much done mate.  :)
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Murmillo

• Lurker
« Reply #631 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »
Blood on the Sands looks bloody awesome! So good that I have to create myself an account to say so. I need to save all my sestertii in order to buy it as soon as it out to play. Just go (more or less) to the whole thread and it looks more than solid. Wonderful job Furt and Dr., just a wonderful job. Really looking forward to Blood on the Sands!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #632 on: July 09, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Blood on the Sands looks bloody awesome! So good that I have to create myself an account to say so. I need to save all my sestertii in order to buy it as soon as it out to play. Just go (more or less) to the whole thread and it looks more than solid. Wonderful job Furt and Dr., just a wonderful job. Really looking forward to Blood on the Sands!

Thanks Murmillo and welcome to LAF mate. Is that you in your avatar!?!?

With all of the garbage reality TV shows out there, it should be awesome to see a show based on modern contestants learning to become gladiators. 

Now that's a cool idea. More like Ultimate Fighter, than Full Metal Jousting, but I get it. Come on Jerry Bruckheimer you are missing a golden opportunity here!!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #633 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
I don't want to derail too much but having any none-celebrity fighting for their lives would get me watching  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Murmillo

• Lurker
« Reply #634 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
Thanks Murmillo and welcome to LAF mate. Is that you in your avatar!?!?

I would love the idea but at the end it is just a picture to represent my favourite armatura. I'm a scutarii.  :D

Now that's a cool idea. More like Ultimate Fighter, than Full Metal Jousting, but I get it. Come on Jerry Bruckheimer you are missing a golden opportunity here!!

I would love this idea and according to Junkelmann M. fighting with wooden swords is not that dangerous so it could be possible. :D Smashing shields, tridents, chanting supporters - sounds good to me!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #635 on: July 10, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
I don't want to derail too much but having any none-celebrity fighting for their lives would get me watching  :D

cheers

James

Or may I submit the idea of real "celebrities" actually fighting to the death...that I'd watch.  I can think of dozens I'd like to see skewered on the end of a trident...
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #636 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
Or may I submit the idea of real "celebrities" actually fighting to the death...that I'd watch.  I can think of dozens I'd like to see skewered on the end of a trident...

Maybe we could add extra spice to it by bringing in hardened criminals for a pro-celebrity version?
Cheaper than paying to keep them in jail :~}
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #637 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
Jimbibbly, Dr De'Ath and I sat down last nigth and had another quick game of BotS.

Its perfect for a filler game when the thought of laying out loads of terrain, miniatures etc is too much  and you don't have a great deal of time to play.

It didn't take long to refamiliarise ourselves with the rules and once again I watched as Mark's level Three Myrmillo was given a damn good pasting by James Level four Thraex. The increased skill togther with James strength five really made the difference. All Mark could do was take the hits and wait for a moment to strike.

Unfortunately it never came, James soon had Mark up against the wall, one severe cut to Marks leg followed, and a round or two later mark was on the floor begging for Missio after a killer blow to his abdomen.

Sadly for Mark the crowd was not impressed and he was dispatched without mercy.

We did not have time for me to enter the arena and I would have been very nervous of being paired with James Thraex.  lol

Watching the game again reminded me how well conceived the rules are and how much fun we at the end of last year with the campaign. One the winter is upon us no doubt we will begin again. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #638 on: September 03, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
How has this been coming along? This is one of the few games I can get the Little Lady to play more than once!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #639 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
any idea when these rules will be available for the herd of waiting people?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #640 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
My regular Skype opponent has internet issues, so our campaign has ground to a halt (and not soon enough...I think I lost about 4-5 matches in a row before his internet crashed - he believes I sabotaged it).

I have some Noxii who need skewering, and I'm still...patiently waiting to have my new arena constructed.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #641 on: September 04, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
.....James soon had Mark up against the wall, one severe cut to Marks leg followed, and a round or two later mark was on the floor begging for Missio after a killer blow to his abdomen.

:o :o :o

Sounds like things get quite rough at your place these days!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #642 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
My regular Skype opponent has internet issues, so our campaign has ground to a halt (and not soon enough...I think I lost about 4-5 matches in a row before his internet crashed - he believes I sabotaged it).

I have some Noxii who need skewering, and I'm still...patiently waiting to have my new arena constructed.

I'm generally free :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #643 on: September 04, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
TBC, you can PM me if you'd like to try to set something up.  My buddy and I both use similar hex maps and we numbered them for ease of use when plying via Skype, but I'd be down for some games, for sure.

I work night shift here, so at +5 GMT I'm not sure how that works with you European fellows.  I'd be awake in the middle of your morning most of the time.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #644 on: September 05, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
James soon had Mark up against the wall

Well, you know  ;D

It was a bit of a mismatch but it's the only way I can win  lol

Roll on the darker nights  :D

cheers