Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:06:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193366 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Furt,

Can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you've finally made it. Big congrats!
If bringing it out complete with miniatures would prove too expensive or too time consuming consider doing it without.
There are already quite a few 28mm (and other scale as well) gladiator figures on the market.
I know that many are a bit  of a 'fantasy' type without much regard to historical accuracy, but we're getting there. The latest four packs by Paul Hicks are quite good with just a few minor details -probably- not exactly right.

My advice is that if you do decide to bring out your own accompanying range of figures to stay in the 28mm scale, and at first restrict yourself to the basic ones ( Murmillo, Thraex, Secutor, Hoplomachus, Retiarius, Provocator) Known details are good for these 6 types. Possibly a few different poses? Later on you can add the more 'exotic' ones like the Laquearius, Dimachaerus, Arbelas, Cruppelarius and so on.
Oh, and if you ever commission a Dimachaerus ask the sculptor to give him 2 curved knives à là sica.  :D

Wishing you all the best with this venture Furt and hopefully I'll be able to buy your game soon!

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Go deluxe with some cheap bendy plastic Boardgame figures as "inspiration" perhaps, otherwise what's wrong with piece of card in a plastic holder? Worked fine for most of my childhood.  :)

Focus on the rules furt, and box art/packaging/stat cards. :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Wow, i was away for some weeks and when i returned i saw this thread with a great news.
Congratulations Frank. You did it. :)
Looking forward to be abble to buy the game.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
This is fantastic news - Well done Frank.  can't wait to get my hands on a set of the published rules.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Again thanks gents.  :)

It will certainly remain a miniatures game, but we are not entirely sure yet how complete the game components will be. There are discussions about providing miniatures and everything else required to play, in a board game type setup. Of course there will be nothing stopping us war gamers from being able to use our own toys and terrain, of the scale we choose.  :)

If a full-on board game option doesn't come to fruition I think a full rules set (cards, etc...maybe some dice) would be perfect, and if a Kickstarter happens I'd suggest simply teaming up with someone who produces (or wants to produce) a line of gladiator miniatures.  Win-win.  I'd guess nearly half of your potential sales will be people who already have a bunch of painted gladiators, so I think two options may be a good way to go (one fully loaded, one just rules?).

Can't wait to see what you do from here.  I've been so busy changing stuff in my own life I haven't touched a paintbrush this year!  I need some more motivation to paint some gladiators.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Sorry missed the latest posts here.

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes - it is much appreciated.  :)

The decision to include miniatures is no longer my decision alone. It is a real dilemma considering the "for or against" argument of providing miniatures or not.

Rest assured everything is being considered, from metal miniatures to cardboard standees. But the jury is still out...  :?

The amount of counters etc is also being revised, with the intent to reduce and improve this component of the game.

We have also considered the option of a game with the lot, and a cut down version with rules and sheets etc. Again not an easy decision.

I have total faith that my publisher will make the right decisions for BotS. He is both an avid wargamer and boardgamer so has a good grasp of what is expected.

I received a production schedule yesterday, which was very exciting and daunting to boot. Now I remember why I got cold feet facing this all alone.  :o  :o  :o

Things should start heating up later in the year for BotS, but the game is still a little way off.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:47:15 AM by Furt »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Can't wait to see what you do from here.  I've been so busy changing stuff in my own life I haven't touched a paintbrush this year!  I need some more motivation to paint some gladiators.

I have noticed a distinct lack of posts from you Elbows - real life can suck can't it?

In regard to your gladiator miniatures, you already have such a lovely ludus, I should use your hiatus to try and catch up!!

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
I have total faith that my publisher will make the right decisions for BotS. He is both an avid wargamer and boardgamer so has a good grasp of what is expected.

Sure you can do a "lighter version" for wargamers with rules, sheets and tokens only....but if your publisher is involved in board games, I'm sure he knows there's an audience out there for board games with a lot of stuff in the box and minis...it's fashionable since a few years and the rise of the crowd-funding.

A board game could touch a larger population (Gladiators have a strong selling potential) and in my opinion, BotS is calibrate for that kind of game...a complete game in a box. Rules are really good and fun, coupled with a nice board and "killing" historical minis, it could really be the greatest gladiator game ever...But keepin' in mind boards and minis are expensive stuffs to produce.

And of course I'm serious.

Wish you the best Frank...Whatever will be the final format, this game really deserved to be published.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Thanks Eithriall, your support is appreciated mate.

Miniatures are certainly expensive and with such a vast selection already available it becomes a real dilemma.

My biggest fear is ousting any wargamers that only want the rules, but really the game was never going to cut it as a rulebook only.

Hopefully the quality and design of the components will warrant the purchase.  :)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
I want the Game, in a Box will be a Bonus for me. Rules only is Not the Option, like you Hand Said it before. So I have to take it complete.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
2 hours reading this thread😁 embarkingon vladiators myself now and watching this thread keenly for release dates as gladiator rules seem to be a bit of a holy grail😋😋

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Welcome aboard....  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
We're playing again tomorrow night  :D

cheers

James