Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:27:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules  (Read 106203 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
Doesn't the first quote contradict the second? The theme seems to exclude much more now. And as I don't own any historical miniatures I can't score any bonus points  :? ?

As a general concept I don't wish to exclude entries. They do however need to fall within the theme boundaries. Round 5 has been amended to historical subjects only, as it was already becoming difficult to define the boundaries for non-historical entries.

As Captain Blood has said, using any theme for a round might exclude some entries due to personal preferences. I'm sure purely historical gamers will face a similar dilemma for round 10.  They potentially lose 30 points rather than the 20 in round 5, for choosing not to follow the theme.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »
Last year I choose not to paint a LoTR entry because I was using the LPL to push a couple of my projects forward and therefore lost 20 bonus points. I did, however, submit a "new" entry and got 10 bonus points.

:D

Of course, I have no illusions about winning any LPL that I may enter, but for those who seek LPL stardom, the painter must be able to show his ability to paint a wide range of miniatures and genres.

That, along with many, many other attributes (photography, setting, composition, etc.) is what makes the LPL stand out.

;)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
- a south Vietnamese CIDG or Mike Force (clashing with VC/NVA)
- Russian cossacks in German service (clashing with USSR Russians)

The Vietnam example is ok, as it originated as an internal conflict into which other nations were drawn. Your entry would need to feature at least 5 Vietnamese on each side to qualify.

The second example is of a larger conflict (WW2) in which troops from the "same" country are on opposite sides.

Forgive my oversimplifications, I'm just applying limited knowledge with common sense.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Last year I choose not to paint a LoTR entry because I was using the LPL to push a couple of my projects forward and therefore lost 20 bonus points. I did, however, submit a "new" entry and got 10 bonus points.

:D

Of course, I have no illusions about winning any LPL that I may enter, but for those who seek LPL stardom, the painter must be able to show his ability to paint a wide range of miniatures and genres.

That, along with many, many other attributes (photography, setting, composition, etc.) is what makes the LPL stand out.

;)

A fair point.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Great!  Glad to have that clarified...I've already ordered the appropriate historical figures for round 5...and hope they get here in time for me to pretty them up! (though they are quite pretty to begin with... ;) )

Cheers....thanks again for all your work guys!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

former user

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
The Vietnam example is ok, as it originated as an internal conflict into which other nations were drawn. Your entry would need to feature at least 5 Vietnamese on each side to qualify.

The second example is of a larger conflict (WW2) in which troops from the "same" country are on opposite sides.

then again, Syria Campaign 1941, Vichy FFL versus Free FFL, how about that?
What if we get back to the core idea of the LPL and say - all fine if they wear absolutely different uniforms? After all that is the point?
It would be easy to present SCW or RCW with combattants who sport only minor differences in uniform or only a coloured armband?

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
Oh my ... same procedure for every season ...  :-I

I think the rules to participate in this little painting competition are quite simple and easy to follow, just read them thoroughly. The bonus themes are clearly defined; in case you're unsure if your planned entry will meet the requirements, please ask before. And if you don't plan to participate in the LPL, we don't need any obscure suggestions of exotic war or civil war theatres and how they could meet the bonus round or not. Expendable.

What could indeed be very helpful to read are Captain Blood's "Thoughts on how to succeed in the LPL": http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=29564.0

:)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
What if we get back to the core idea of the LPL and say - all fine if they wear absolutely different uniforms? After all that is the point?

Don't think that was ever the core idea, to be quite honest.

Here are the bonus rounds for the last LPLs... seem quite specific in many cases:

LPL 6

Old Metal - specific
The Worlds of J.R.R.Tolkien - specific
Maritime/Naval - specific

LPL 5

Civilians and bystanders - broad
Africa - specific
Scenes (or teams) from famous movies! - fairly specific

LPL 4

Conan the Barbarian! - specific
Zombies - specific
Victorian Sci-Fi - specific

LPL 3

Germans - fairly broad
Saddle up! - broad
the Lost World… - specific

LPL 2

Conquistadors - specific
Mad Science - fairly specific
Not sure of round 10

LPL 1

None

This year we have ...

HQ Group ... very broad
Civil War ... fairly specific
Science Fiction - specific

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
I'm still really unsure if I'll be able to participate due to lots of reasons, but for my first entry I plan a couple of spies going through a mission brief with a head honcho pointing out the mission objectives. Would that suffice for a HQ? :) Or are we talking "War HQ" and not such things as a Gangster boss and his posse etc?

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
for my first entry I plan a couple of spies going through a mission brief with a head honcho pointing out the mission objectives. Would that suffice for a HQ?

My guess:
- The head honcho should at least have a fancier hat and a bigger cigar than anyone else.
- If there's one boss and the rest are more or less henchmen, it's the whole group rather than a command group, no?

Three guys with fancy hats would have a better ratio already...

Then, my humble and honest question. How broad is round 10's sci-fi? It says "recognizable connection to science fiction". So does it mean basically anything with a ray gun or rubber-mask humanoid appearance? Or does it have to be from an established, recognisable sci-fi universe? Star Wars is probably OK. How about Space Marines (TM) vs Chaos Space Marines (TM)? Or generic post-apocalyptic if they've come up with tech toys? We have another name for that genre, true, but a lot of post-apoc literature can actually be found in the sci-fi shelf. There's tidy sci-fi and gritty sci-fi...and "invented on the spot" sci-fi. That's what makes it fiction, after all.

(Disclaimer: At the moment I'm not shoehorning anything in as I don't have any plans yet. It just helps to know beforehand...)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
I really do not envy Overlord with the task of running this.

When I read the rules and themes for bonus rounds etc, it all seemed quite straightforward and simple.

It appears that I was very wrong in my assumption, this all seems very complicated now...

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

On a serious note, I'll do my entry anyhow and if it qualifies as a bonus entry, then it's just a bonus.
Besides, I think it might be a case of me being a bit simple with the associations and that I immediately assumed that HQ was something military.

@Dolmot. There will be only one hat I'm afraid. But two uniforms and a cigar is involved...

former user

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
so what is the point then? apparently there is still need to discuss the bonus entries?

I must admit the proposal to simply ask before painting the entry has a point and makes things easier
we should not make it complicated vor @Overlord

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:13:34 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
LPL 1

None

This year we have ...

HQ Group ... very broad
Civil War ... fairly specific
Science Fiction - specific

Season 2, round 10: Back Of Beyond (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5473.msg60271#msg60271)

Season 1, round 5: World War II: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=2585.msg26697#msg26697
Season 1, round 10: Cthulhu: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=2923.msg30325#msg30325

I like the bonus rounds and thank you Overlord for the update on round 2, at the very least it's a lot clearer.

Other than that, I'd better get started on my HQ group or all this talk of bonus rounds will have been in vain!  :o
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
There's always the Rutger Hauer option, paint what you like and say fuck the bonus  ;)

Gentlemen for me this sums it up... I don't have any illusions to win LPL7 but I want to participate just to make a dent in my lead/plastic pile. If I own miniatures that are useful in a bonus round than that is a bonus  ::) if not well bad luck for me and good luck to the opponents (who are probably better painters anyway)...

And to be honest if we get really philosophical: we all live on the same planet and we form one humanity so every conflict on earth can be explained as a civil war... or is this stretching the rules  ;)

Regards,
Za