Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:06:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gripping Beast unarmoured Dark Age warriors  (Read 15291 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Re: Gripping Beast unarmoured Dark Age warriors
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
The GB Saxon/Viking Plastics work fine with the WestWind heads, as mentioned it takes some cuting to get the heads in place and a bit of green stuff to. Used the combo on my Swedish Crusader for my Baltic Crusade project

I used mostly the pict hood heads just adding a collar and on some a tail on the hood.

like on this sledge rider mad of a GB plastic Saxon and a WW hooded head, more pictures here
Elegant, Michael!  :o
Some lovely work on your blog too.
Thanks for the information.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
Thnaks glad you liked my Sledge rider.

The sprue look very good indeed, the only thing I miss are some bow arms...but one cant get everything... ;

Best regards Michael
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:43:28 PM by Dalauppror »

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Argh, my poor defenseless painting score!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Mostly very nice, I think spear shafts, and axe handles are a bit too thick, though. I would not carry a weapon to battle, if my hand cold not obtain a full grip on it.

I know, durability/brittleness may be a deciding factor - but at first glance, I thought they were sculpted with open hands without the weapons, like the Wargames Factory ones.

Other than that, they fill a gap in the market nicely, and the hand-issue can be ignored in order to fill up those rear ranks in the shieldwall.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »
Yeah, that is a matter of preference I guess - anatomical/historical accuracy or convenience and durability.

I prefer the chunkier weapons - the Wargames Factory ones are too tiny and flimsy and don't look as good to me (not to mention the other shortcomings of the WF figures...)

I wonder how many different sprues there are, we only got the one picture...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
Yeah, that is a matter of preference I guess - anatomical/historical accuracy or convenience and durability.

I prefer the chunkier weapons - the Wargames Factory ones are too tiny and flimsy and don't look as good to me (not to mention the other shortcomings of the WF figures...)

I wonder how many different sprues there are, we only got the one picture...

Based on the description of making 40 warriors with up to eight of them with swords/axes, and one sword/axe per sprue (as far as I can see), I'm going with this is the only sprue in the box and you get eight replicates of it.

I would have preferred some bare legged versions to make up Picts/Welsh, but I can very cheerfully bulk out Saxon, Anglo-Saxon and Sub-Roman armies with these. If I want hats or helmets, I can sculpt them, if I want clean shaven I can use (e.g.) West Wind heads or even try resculpting them myself. At this price if I ruin one its no great loss (even for someone who is as much of a miser as me!), so why not?

Bring 'em on!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
Still not entirely convinced to go back to GB's plastics (thegns left me with a slightly bad taste in the mouth), though I am very tempted.

I might have to see if I can get some of those sling bits for conversions, though.  Most likely a bit cheaper than GW's skaven upgrades...

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 01:00:10 AM »
Based on the description of making 40 warriors with up to eight of them with swords/axes, and one sword/axe per sprue (as far as I can see), I'm going with this is the only sprue in the box and you get eight replicates of it.

I would have preferred some bare legged versions to make up Picts/Welsh, but I can very cheerfully bulk out Saxon, Anglo-Saxon and Sub-Roman armies with these. If I want hats or helmets, I can sculpt them, if I want clean shaven I can use (e.g.) West Wind heads or even try resculpting them myself. At this price if I ruin one its no great loss (even for someone who is as much of a miser as me!), so why not?

Bring 'em on!

So if this is the main sprue, would there not be a command sprue as well?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:51 AM »
They might be found in the Axillary of Justinian's Byzantines, in the Goth hordes that fought across Europe in the twilight years of the Roman Empire, lining the Shieldwall at The Battle Of Hastings, supporting the Thegns of Alfred The Great or the Hirdmen of his Viking enemies, or even raiding unsuspecting villages ...

They forgot to mention the armies of Middle Earth, Westeros and Hyperborea ;)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
So if this is the main sprue, would there not be a command sprue as well?

Based on my reading of what's on the GB web site, no. It mentions being able to make horn players, and you can see the hands holding the horns on the sprue picture, but makes no mention of specific command. If there IS a command sprue, well and good, but I'm not expecting one.

Also, I would expect any command figures would have to tend to be more specific toward a particular army, which would undermine the "generic" nature of these models to fill out the gaps in lots of different armies.

Besides, there's plenty of really nice command options available separately, and if the main bulk of the army is this cheap, shelling out a bit more for the command isn't so painful (ooh, I don't believe I just said that! lol)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
Finally I can finish my Wildlings and mountain clans for my Westerosi armies!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
Can't wait to get my hands on a box of these for my Saxons and Vikings.

Shame there are no bare-legged types for Scots and Welsh, but I didn't expect there would be. I think I'll try filing away the trouser details to give them bare legs, this will be trickier with those wearing the baggy trousers though. West Wind's 'British' heads will work well for the Welsh with their short hair and lack of beards.

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
They look superb and cant wait to get a set to have a play about with :) Also imagine if you mix and match heads from the previous two sets it will give even more variety to forces and units 8)