Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691048
  • Total Topics: 118366
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Murdoch Mysteries  (Read 1934 times)

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
Murdoch Mysteries
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »
Just started watching this, quite good and a bit steampunky. its on alibi..

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Murdoch Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
Have watched several episodes last year via Netflix. Rather enjoyed at first, tired a bit, I'm sure  enthusiasm will soon wax strong.

Steam, yes, and great whimsy on occasion, but very little 'punk'.  ;)

As you can tell, I'm 'one of those': the great unwashed, to the inestimable Messeur Chadwick.

As soon as you can, though, I also suggest the mostly grim Ripper Street, in contrast to the mostly sunny Murdoch.

Doug

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
Actually beast, there are several great Steampunk episodes - Tesla visits on several occassions, and there is even a suit of mechanical battle armour that appears, along with other Steampunk devices. It's not a central feature of the show, but it is there.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
Tesla was present from the first, but, outside of Murdoch's 'dandy' episode, what I've seen has been mostly prim and proper throughout. As for what constitutes 'Steampunk', I fear we shall have to agree to disagree.

Haven't got to any impermiable suits, but, as I said, soon shall be watching again.

Doug

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
Some episodes do concern troublesome issues - especially women's rights. Plus you've got some shady political intrigues. One of the later episodes features a group of anarchists portrayed rather positively (although their ideology is dismissed as silly) and contrasted with a government agent.
Nevertheless, I agree that the series is mostly sunny and more "steam" than "punk". Although I would argue when it comes to what amount of "punk" is required to call something steampunk.

and there is even a suit of mechanical battle armour that appears
Do you happen to remember in which episode does it appear?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:40:49 PM by Sarmor »

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
Some episodes do concern troublesome issues - especially women's rights. Plus you've got some shady political intrigues. One of the later episodes features a group of anarchists portrayed rather positively (although their ideology is dismissed as silly) and contrasted with a government agent.
Nevertheless, I agree that the series is mostly sunny and more "steam" than "punk". Although I would argue when it comes to what amount of "punk" is required to call something steampunk.
Do you happen to remember in which episode does it appear?

My wife and I have cranked through all the DVD's of this show in about 6 months... I'd be hard pressed to think of many things Murdoch himself has invented that are NOT anachronistic in some way.  Often the technology is technically period, but nobody ever used it the way he does...

I'm having a hard time remembering or finding the title of the armour suit episode.  It's Season 2, I think.  Also, "The Annoying Red Planet" was basically a Victorian episode of "the X-Files", complete with mysterious government flying machines, and the whole thing being covered up at the end.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:04:22 AM »