Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690824
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm hanomag help  (Read 3671 times)

Offline sentepid

• Student
28mm hanomag help
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »
Hi all. I'm gearing up to play a campaign based around a squad of panzer grenadiers in Operation Barbarossa in 28mm.

I want to model their half track transport (yes, it could statistically be a truck but I want a half track).

Has anyone done size comparisons between the various manufacturers of of the 251? Warlord have a 1:56 version and this is attractive as I am not an experienced kitset builder. On the other hand, the Tamiya 1:48 model might be a better scale fit, given the 'heroic' modelling of many figure manufacturers.

This is not supposed to be a debate on 'correct' scale, I hasten to add. I'm just interested in how they compare to the eye without going to the trouble of buying them all ahead of time.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Re: 28mm hanomag help
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline sentepid

• Student
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
It sure does. Thanks.

What are others using out there? Is there any kind of 'popular' model?

former user

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
this would be my advice
http://www.berlin-1945.com/scale-models-gallery/148-tamiya-sd-kfz-251-half-track/

I personally think that scale does matter, especially when it comes to APC where You can see the figures inside. 28mm is not an accurate scale of 1/56.
Both links unfortunately do not show how 28mm figures "fill in" to the interior. If this is an issue for You, I would check the net for comparison pics

I also think this one is cheapest
http://www.hlj.com/product/AFV48007
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:09:19 AM by bedwyr »

Offline BattlewagonBruce

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
For me the Warlord one is excellent. It is designed to be put together and used by wargammers. Tamyia make superb kits, but are display models. The 251 was not a big vehicle - I've been in one. I think we sometime oversize vehicles by our modern standards. I am amazed that a panzer grenadier section could squeeze into the back with all their kit on. We just about managed to fit a section with SA80's into the back of our FV432's when I was in Germany in BAOR and they are so much bigger!

I might be a little biased as I painted the halftracks that are on the box art!
I did find them a pleasure to put together and paint though.

with a diecast Panzer 4 I did up.

I used old 1970's corgi diecast toys for these tow and refurbished them with my own cast parts. The Nebel is Offensive Miniatures.

Note: One photo removed due to number plate showing banned sign.
The aerial recognition flag (shown on the afv) was not removed as you could not fully see the symbol

Thank you
Helen
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:39:42 PM by Tank Girl »

former user

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
my respect for Your amazing brushwork @..Bruce, and I do respect anyones taste when it comes to that issue, but

I think reality shows clearly how the size relation between vehicle and passengers was

Anyway, here is an article that adresses the issue
http://frontkaempfer.blogspot.de/2011/04/sdkfz-251-comparisons-in-28mm.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:07:49 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
The scale debate rumbles on... While its certainly true that heroic scale minis look a little on the chunky side when compared with their more accurately scaled vehicular counterparts, the rule surely has to be; 'do you like how they look together?'
 Personally I favour 1/56 scaled vehicles & then put them on bases (unsurprising what a difference it makes, after all, they boost the height of the infantry mini by a couple of mm's).
 I would however make sure that all the vehicles of a type were by the same manufacturer as there can be considerable variance.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
Personally I prefer 1:48th scale vehicles although I know that this isn't everyone's cup of tea but with bulky figures I think they work the best and I will quite happily use Tamiya etc models too.

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
The scale debate rumbles on... While its certainly true that heroic scale minis look a little on the chunky side when compared with their more accurately scaled vehicular counterparts, the rule surely has to be; 'do you like how they look together?'
 Personally I favour 1/56 scaled vehicles & then put them on bases (unsurprising what a difference it makes, after all, they boost the height of the infantry mini by a couple of mm's).
 I would however make sure that all the vehicles of a type were by the same manufacturer as there can be considerable variance.

What Ballardian says, especially the last bit- avoid mixing vehicles from different manufacturers- so don't mix 1:48th SdKfz 251s with 1:56th ones. personally, I'd even go so far as to say stick to a scale once you've chosen it. I know of a few people who mix scales.
I'm going to add my 2p's worth here. Please remember that most of the guys who think that 1:48th looks better with 28mm figures don't base their vehicles, and this means that the vehicle has to be larger to achieve the same relative height to the figures' heads.
If you use 1:56th vehicles, the vehicles are closer to the figures in proportion, but need to be put on bases.
Have a look at http://mainly28s.com/how_to/measuring_scale.html to see some more reasoning.

(Oh, and I am biased, to a degree, as I made some vehicle masters for Bolt Action way back.)
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »
If you use 1:48 scale vehicles you'll need to use large buildings. Most 28mm wargames buildings are 1:60 to 1:70 scale, you can't place a 1:48 tank next to these.   

former user

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
If you use 1:48 scale vehicles you'll need to use large buildings. Most 28mm wargames buildings are 1:60 to 1:70 scale, you can't place a 1:48 tank next to these.   

Yes this in fact puts the spotlight on - how does the surrounding look like?
it has always been a tendency to make vehicles and buildings a bit smaller in 28mm in order to fit everything on a tabletop. Only problem is when it gets cramped together with miniatures

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Alternatively wargame WWII in a scale in which accurately scaled vehicles are readilly available 1/72nd 20mm.

Offline sentepid

• Student
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
It is a thorny issue.

All my figures are based GW pedestal style (consistent with everything else in my collection) so the 1:48 would make sense. But I'm not really a kitset modeller, so building the tamiya model is a bit daunting.

On the other hand, I don't really find the sight of a vehicle on a base to be particularly attractive. Nor do I want to rebase all my infantry. Something has to give!

Thanks for your comments, guys. I appreciate the thoughts and images.

former user

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »
hmmm
assembling resin kits can be tricky too, I for my part favour plastic - it is so much more forgiving

the question of the passengers - well, I can't imagine that it is possible to use based miniatures in any vehicle, no matter what the base looks like. Usually people keep it empty and put one or two inside symbolically and take them out when the whole section is deployed. Otherwise You could make two sets, like with mounted and dismounted cavalry
or You make a dummy block of seated infantry with spare helmets and heads that You can take out when the section is deployed.

it is up to You and the size of Your army

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
1/48 vehicles are to big ... I'll second the Warlord Games plastic SdKfz 251 kit ... it is the finest 28mm version of this vehicle I've seen.  It is also very easy to assemble.