Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarven Forge Game Tiles Kickstarter  (Read 8007 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Dwarven Forge Game Tiles Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »
Not a precise like for like comparison, but the EU distributor of the current range sells the Classic dungeon room set for £85 (it doesn't mention P&P)
which contains
4 x Swinging Doors
12 x Floor pieces
1 x Floor Pit piece
13 x Straight Wall pieces
1 x  Straight Wall Secret Door piece
10 x Corner Wall pieces
41 pieces in total

The Kickstarter deal is with P&P to the UK about £76 (provided you don't get hit for import duty)
14 x Straight Wall pieces
12 x Floor pieces
6  x Corner Wall
2  x Swinging Door
34 pieces in total

Considering £33 of that is P&P, you would hope that the prices of the new sets will drop drastically, when they are shipped by the EU site later this year.
If they strat selling those sets for 40-50 quid I could see me picking up a couple

Don't forget to add on the International shipping cost. IIRC, most pledge levels say "Add $75" or "add $100" for international. Or is that waived within the EU?

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
Don't forget to add on the International shipping cost. IIRC, most pledge levels say "Add $75" or "add $100" for international. Or is that waived within the EU?

Yeah, the £75 includes shipping at the current exchange rate. My biggest worry would be getting hit for a fee from the customs and excise guys, they've withheld goods from me in the past until I paid import duty :(

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »

I think he is pointing out that it is better to wait until the EU distributor has the sets instead of buying through the Kickstarter.  Then there is just usual postage from wherever DW.EU are and no customs and import duties.

They look interesting - I'll keep an eye on them coming into stock in Europe.

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »
They funded 200 000 dollars in two days?!?!?  :o

I'm not to familiar with Kickstarter but that's amazing! Perhaps something for Greece or Cyprus to look into.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
I think he is pointing out that it is better to wait until the EU distributor has the sets instead of buying through the Kickstarter.  Then there is just usual postage from wherever DW.EU are and no customs and import duties.

They look interesting - I'll keep an eye on them coming into stock in Europe.

Mike

Aye, that's pretty much it, although I'm tempted to plump for the 2 sets deal, the prospect of overzealous customs men holding them to randsom is enough to put me off.

They funded 200 000 dollars in two days?!?!?  :o

I'm not to familiar with Kickstarter but that's amazing! Perhaps something for Greece or Cyprus to look into.

The Reaper kickstarter really set the standard.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

I guess the nice thing about these crowdfunding websites is the way the roll market research and capital raising into one.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
I have a stack of Dwarven Forge boxes as tall as I am...but I think I'll hop in for two sets, just so I can have some spare room to work with.  I have a bunch of the specials sets, so I could use some simple normal rooms.  It's quite reasonable for us U.S. folks.

It's sad to see the shipping so bad internationally - I think they're probably trying to avoid too much shipped overseas...scaring people off with prices. lol

My buddy got in for 10 sets (which with the current stretch goal means he'll get about 12 actual sets)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
Weighing up the cost against buying something like Ainsty scenery, I make the cost of the Ainsty equivalent of 2 sets to be £110.

The DF cost is $120 + $70 postage = £125.00  (on xe.com).  add VAT for £25 + £8 handling comes to £158

With all the extras promised that still isn't too bad...  of course you don't get it until October and Ainsty is currently 20% off :-)

Mike

Offline Harrowed

• Schoolboy
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
Yikes, shipping is very expensive!  :o

I would just play with my hirst arts molds for a while I think. Good deals for folks in the US though.

If you're close to the border you could get it shipped to a UPS store there and then go pick it up.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »
I am a few hours from the border, so gas and time would cost me just as much.  Its a pretty big hassle for something that I don't have a direct use for!  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 04:10:47 AM »
One good thing for me about this kickstarter is it gave me the impetus to paint my own dungeon (resin dungeon, not some pervy sort of dungeon).
I might just post a pic of it in my dungeon creation thread. I fact I will.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
Looks like some diagonal pieces were just unlocked.  I had put in for 2 sets at the $120 level, and I just did the math.

Original 1 Set:
14x Straight Walls
12x Floor sections
6x Corners
2x Doors

A single set - taking bonuses into account:
22x Straight Walls
18x Floors
8x Corners
3x Doors
2x Diagonal Floors
2x Diagonal Walls

With the bonus stuff it has effectively turned every 2 sets into 3 sets.  That means my buddy who ordered 10 freakin' sets will end up with around 15... lol  Almost too much dungeon...

(bonuses only apply if you pledge for two OR more sets)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
I seen the link, looked at the prices and thought thats amazing... Then I saw the price of shipping. I'm sorry but there is no chance I'll be backing this one- just far too expensive! I'm really dissapointed, I'd have backed this one as well.

Cheers
Andy

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
They should have gone with a lightweight material instead. I'd have gone for it without the insane shipping.

Now if someone could do something like it in hardfoam or light plastic... ;D

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
Part of the shipping problem is they use a contracted shipping/distribution company (at least for their regular business) who charge inflated rates.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
Part of the shipping problem is they use a contracted shipping/distribution company (at least for their regular business) who charge inflated rates.

I understand they are using normal American post for this - the items are simply heavy and they've had to allow for the sets doubling in size by the time the Kickstarter finishes.

Mike