Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:50:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690532
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63711 times)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Skeletal Dragon!!]
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
Cool Orcs, but that Dragon  :-*. I have been eyeballing that mini for a long time; you did a great job on him (and I love the mish mash of bases too).

Cheers,
 Damien

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
Cool Orcs, but that Dragon  :-*. I have been eyeballing that mini for a long time; you did a great job on him (and I love the mish mash of bases too).

Thanks! (I won't tell you what I paid for him.) This is the first dragon mini I've ever painted, so it's something of a milestone.

Here's a little change of pace...a few photos from a Song of Blades & Heroes campaign game we played last summer. My undead guys were defending a watchtower from some marauding raiders.

The undead met their foes at the foot of the watchtower, with the Pumpkin King riding around to catch them on their flank.

The barbarians brought terror bird cavalry!

....and a massive winged coatl!

Here's the epic scrum that developed at the gates of the tower. Turns out one of the barbarians was in fact a werewolf...and he turned into his wolf-form once he was taken out of action!

High atop the tower, the coatl attempted to go toe-to-toe with my liche lord...and it failed! The coatl's death caused a morale check for the barbarians and they fled the field in defeat.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
Now, we all know this is an illithid, or mindflayer, but of course Reaper can't use that terminology, so they had to package this guy as something else. He's D'Khul, Bathalian Sorcerer (14511) and I got him in a random bag o' lead a while back and just now got around to painting him. As with most of my painting, it's a quick, no frills 'job designed to get him onto the battlefield fast! He'll probably be leading some undead legions in my next game!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
I really enjoyed the tabletop pix. I don't know much about different rule sets, but a game where you can put anything you fancy together sounds fun!

I'm all about the fun in this hobby.

Jev

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
I like it a lot!!  :o :-* donīt know what a mind flayer is but It could be a perfect Lovecraftian creature!!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I was at Little Wars, a game convention outside Chicago, last weekend and I picked up a big bag jammed full of old Bob Olley Dwarf Warriors from Ral Partha...got the whole bag, maybe 50 figures in all, for $20! Talk about a bargain...but now I have to paint it all. So you might not get many updates from me in the next few weeks as I start working on these dwarves. I've already settled on a paint scheme that looks decent.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:26:44 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Here's another little vignette. Most of these aren't my miniatures...they belong to the other guys in my game group. Tim and I put together a pretty cool dungeon + cavern layout, filled it with monsters, then covered the whole thing with pieces of paper. We revealed the dungeon bit by bit as the players explored.

Here you can see Karl's elven warband at the entrance to the dungeons.

More nasty creatures appeared as the warbands ventured deeper into the caverns beyond the dungeon. Is that a mummified body .... or a victim covered in spiderweb?!

Here's an overhead shot of the entire layout: dungeons + cavern.

As the evening drew to a close, the adventurers found themselves face to face -- in true dungeoncrawl fashion -- with a majestic red dragon and its accompanying treasure horde! They fought off the dragon, but a frost giant lurking deeper in the caverns convinced the explorers to beat a hasty retreat. They survived the dungeon, but only barely!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
This is a TREASURE TROVE of COOL minis & interesting/inspiring ideas. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
What DeafNala said! Great dungeon and cavern, I am really enjoying the pics with all those different minis on the table top; we need more of those.

Cheers,
 Damien

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
I should mention that I am a backer of the just-completed Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles Kickstarter....it's scheduled to ship in November. So by late 2013 I expect to be doing even more dungeon delving with my new toys!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-game-tiles-revolutionary-miniature

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Wow, that's alot of really nice terrain you have there.  That's the kind of dungeon crawl i could get into!   >:D
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Dungeoncrawl!]
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:43 AM »
Your idea of making dungeons and caverns without a floortile is just great ! I never thought about that. It's the best way ! and it's always possible to make an entire table with hexes or squares and put the scenery on it....Very clever. And simple. And good looking !

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »
Your idea of making dungeons and caverns without a floortile is just great ! I never thought about that.

Yes, we did it out of necessity at the time, but you're right -- the dungeon terrain and caverns look quite decent on a black felt mat. I've also considered using actual vinyl floor tile pieces to create large areas of flooring on the cheap.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Here are a couple of brave (or reckless?) old-school adventurers from Grenadier. I am absolutely in love with old models that are doing something other than fighting....so we have a lantern-bearer advancing cautiously with sword drawn, and a thief about to throw a flask of oil, probably onto an unsuspecting orc guard!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Great paint job on some old Grenadier minis, I really like the one with the lantern.

Damien