Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63539 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Hey guys, I recently took some halfway decent photos of my fantasy minis collection and I'm planning to post them here. My group plays Song of Blades & Heroes (and all its expansions) so a lot of these figures were painted up as warbands for that game. Others are taken from my D&D collection...I GMed and played in a couple of old-school, wilderness-hex-map-based games a few years back.

In keeping with the spirit of Song of Blades & Heroes, my game group uses minis from all sorts of manufacturers and game lines. I'll try to explain the origins of the figures in my collection, though some may be lost to the sands of time.

You can follow along with my game club's exploits at our blog: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:31:29 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [UP FIRST - Stonehaven Dwarves!]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »

Last November, I received my batch of loot from the fully funded Stonehaven Dwarven Adventurers Kickstarter campaign. As this was the first (and to date, only) Kickstarter I've ever been a part of, I've gotta say it was a great experience. The Stonehaven guys sent out timely, informative updates throughout the process, and my miniatures (15 dwarves covering a ton of possible archetypes and loadouts) arrived basically on time.

Since then I've been working my way slowly through them. Here's the first batch of completed figures. From left, we have: bard, berserker, fallen king, necromancer, mage, rogue and highwayman. Very cool figures, with tons of character! Those are resin flagstone bases that were supplied with the Kickstarter.

I undercoated these guys in light gray -- as opposed to black, my longtime undercoat -- and tried to give the figures a brighter, more colorful paintjob than I usually do. What can I say, the sculpts seem a bit more lighthearted than my the typical dark fantasy guy from Reaper or Games Workshop.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
Here's a bunch of adventurers! This picture is sort of a microcosm of my miniatures collection -- a bunch of different minis, different basing schemes, but with loads of character in each figure.

From left: Reaper knight with greatsword, Reaper elf warrior, unknown archer guy with cool armor made out of a lizard, Chainmail half-elf warrior

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »
Hi Patrick, every mini looks fantastic! I really like your painting style, it is very smooth. Loads of minis with loads of character here and I like the different bases, I find that every base suits the mini.

Welcome and keep this thread going,
 Damien

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
Great stuff!!

I checked out your groups blog; very nice. I'm really starting to get more of an interest in skirmish level gaming, SOBH in particular. I can foresee spending quite a bit of time reading through it.

In case you're interested, your unknown archer guy is an old Ral Partha figure. Chaos archer, or Chaos bowman or somesuch. I've got some of them around somewhere, if I remember correctly, they came 4 or 6 to a blister pack with multiple poses.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:18 AM »
Thanks Damien and Chaos Wolf for the warm welcome.

If you guys would like to read more about SBH, check out this campaign page. We ran a SBH campaign last summer and played about 20 games over the course of 7 sessions. It was a real blast, and very inspiring. Writeups and photos galore.

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/p/iron-isle-song-of-blades-heroes.html

More pics for this thread coming soon!

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:00:36 AM »
Good looking mins you have there. Those Stonehaven Dwarfs are full of character.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:46:04 AM »
Looking good. I really like the dwarves you've done. Did you get the troll too?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
No, I didn't get the troll. I wonder if I've missed my chance?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
OK, up next are some mounted figures. I've always liked having a handful of cavalry figures on hand, either for skirmish gaming to to represent a fighter who found a horse or something.

These guys are Warhammer Chaos knights, so I painted them up in a generic "evil" paint scheme. You'll notice that a lot of my figures get the magic dip -- I'm an impatient painter and I game fairly often, so I tend to speed through the final steps so I can just get the mini done and onto the battlefield. Magic dip (in this case Minwax Polyshades) helps that process quite a bit, though I know I'll never win any painting awards for it.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
I picked up this old Grenadier pack at GenCon a few years back for $1! It's one of my favorite sets: two versions of the same warrior, mounted and on foot, for maximum versatility in the dungeon or in the wilderness.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Alright, time for some bad guys! These are the first (and only) gnolls in my collection, but they were loads of fun to paint. At least one of them is scheduled to hit the table tonight in an introductory game of Song of Blades & Heroes that I'm running for a friend.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Cavalry and gnolls!]
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
Ah, more bad guys. Ostensibly these guys are orcs from Nin-Gonost, a hybrid board/miniatures game released by Adiken. I typically run them as hobgoblins, though, as they look rather sneaky and my orcs tend to be more barbaric and vicious-looking (and green). Nothing special with the paint job -- just drybrushed armor, GW Dark Flesh for the skin and a few highlights. The basing scheme is supposed to look like cracked lava terrain...eventually I'll do a group of armor-clad paladins in the same basing to do battle against these guys deep underground.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Hello Patrick, lets first start with the Grenadier warrior pack that you bought for a dollar! , you lucky ...... I love Grenadier miniatures and only find them on Ebay for way too much (I really have to find a convention near me)  :)  I really like how you painted him and as always the bases look good too. As for the Gnolls, really nice paint jobs on those old Chainmail miniatures, I have a few too and they are well sculpted; you really did a good job on them. I don't know anything about the last guys but they look pretty cool and the paint jobs are nice too.

Keep 'em coming,
 Damien

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
As for the Gnolls, really nice paint jobs on those old Chainmail miniatures, I have a few too and they are well sculpted; you really did a good job on them.

Ah ha, Chainmail! Thanks for helping me ID these guys. I'd like to pick up a few more, and now I know where to look!

The Adiken miniatures happen to have a pretty interesting backstory, which unfortunately is all too common in the gaming industry. The company grew too fast and collapsed, with lots of stock unsold and just sitting around in some guy's garage. I blogged about it a while back: http://rpgdiehard.blogspot.com/2010/04/adikens-miniatures-and-fall-of-gaming.html