Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63785 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
When I first came across those Rogues I was a relatively young man. While they are no longer "state-of-the-art" minis, you did a SPLENDID job on the Old Lads! GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Great paint job on some old Grenadier minis, I really like the one with the lantern.

Thanks! You might not be able to tell, but that's not his stock sword. The original was all bent up, so I clipped it off and replaced it with a plastic sword from a Mantic undead sprue. Sidenote: Mantic's plastic bits scale really well with old 25mm stuff.

When I first came across those Rogues I was a relatively young man. While they are no longer "state-of-the-art" minis, you did a SPLENDID job on the Old Lads! GREAT WORK!

Why thank you! I agree, they're old sculpts, but full of character. I've got more old stuff in the lead mountain, including a personal favorite: the Grenadier potion-tester!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Wow!
What a cool collection of painted miniatures you have assembled!
The games look like a lot of fun!
 :-*

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Very nice!! your solution for making caves and tunnels is very interesting!!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Very nice!! your solution for making caves and tunnels is very interesting!!

Thanks! They are actually torn-up pieces of mattress foam, sprayed black and brown. Another guy from my game club did a whole tutorial on how he made them. Check it out here --> http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/08/terrain-tutorial-caverns-and-rocks-fast.html

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Now that is an original idea, thanks for the link, I hope to do this someday soon.

Damien

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Your idea of making dungeons and caverns without a floortile is just great ! I never thought about that. It's the best way ! and it's always possible to make an entire table with hexes or squares and put the scenery on it....Very clever. And simple. And good looking !

I was trying to figure out what I liked so much more about this dungeon set than some others, and it took sundayhero's post to point it out! It seems organic. And the mattress foam rock-hewn section is great, both visually, and imagining my character as she passed from temple/dungeon to the rocky unknown.

And you can't have a dungeon and dragon without a hoard! So old-school. I love it!
Jev

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
My favourite mini from the hirelings box are the two carrying a chest. I made a quick shot of them, next to a similar mini from Reaper:

Anybody knows if those old Grenadier fantasy figures are still available anywhere?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
My favourite mini from the hirelings box are the two carrying a chest. I made a quick shot of them, next to a similar mini from Reaper:

Anybody knows if those old Grenadier fantasy figures are still available anywhere?

I wanna say I have that Grenadier sculpt, the two guys carrying the treasure chest. Not sure where it might be, though.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Here are two ugly dudes. The guy on the left is an ice demon from Reaper's Warlord series. His sword is awesome in a menacing, over-the-top kind of way. Perfect for a villainous creature. The guy on the right is a Ghost Miniatures troll from Old Glory. He also has the distinction of being the most overtly terrifying miniature I've ever painted! If I was a kid this thing would give me serious nightmares! I was at a convention in April and managed to pick up all the other troll sculpts from the Ghost Miniatures line, so I'll be painting up his buddies very soon....

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Old Glory Troll!]
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
YET ANOTHER trip down Memory Lane...with moi, it's actually a slum. The one really Old Grenadier that has stuck in my memory is a crossbow armed Halfing hiding in a hollow tree trunk...Grenadier had a flair for dramatic minis back then.

The last two are ones that I hadn't seen before. They sure painted up VERY NICELY. Having no will power whatsoever I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the lead...I think.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
YET ANOTHER trip down Memory Lane...with moi, it's actually a slum. The one really Old Grenadier that has stuck in my memory is a crossbow armed Halfing hiding in a hollow tree trunk...Grenadier had a flair for dramatic minis back then.

I had the boxed set with the Halfling assassin in the tree trunk with the crossbow....I loved the Monk with the spear, and the half-elf fighter/magic-user.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
Here are the results of a fun little project last weekend. In between weeding and planting our herb garden, I tried to see how fast I could paint up these Ral Partha skeletons, which I purchased for 50 cents a piece at Little Wars in April. Approximate time spent through the entire weekend: 90 minutes! (Also, Minwax dip is a wonderful thing.)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Ral Partha Skeletons!]
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Speed painted & dipped or not, the Undernourished Lads turned out TERRIFIC...they all look so happy, although I guess they can't help that things being what they are. GREAT additions to a FINE Project!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Ral Partha Skeletons!]
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
Awesome! I love those skeletons! We just unearthed Lord Soth's Charge from our box o' lead and you've made me look at those skellies in a new way.

Keep 'em coming,
Jevenkah