Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:40:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63797 times)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Those wraiths look really good and I like the way you handle black. I still have a hard time getting it highlighted properly. Do you work up to your highlights using lighter shades of grey or do you use very light blues?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
It's actually all drybrush, starting with dark grey and working up to almost white. Never tried the blue as a starter...sounds like a challenge!  :D

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
OK, here are some photos from a recent game night! Six players showed up and we managed to play 6 games of Song of Blades & Heroes in my tiny little basement game room. You can read the full blog post here --> http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/05/back-in-saddle-with-song-of-blades.html

My undead took to the field to defend their captured keep against a band of roving adventurers. Here they are forming a shieldwall as the attackers close in.

The battle was joined basically right in front of the watchtower, which I unfortunately wasn't able to photograph in these pics. It's a cool 2-story affair made of Hirst blocks. Here are some skeletons moving into the big fight that was developing.

As my opponent's mouse knight (yes, it was a mouse in full plate armor with a sword) was moving to seize the objective, my undead wraith fell upon him, scythe a-swingin'.

Later that night, my dwarven warband withstood a charge by a cohor of chaos knights. It was a fierce fight, but the dwarves' secret weapon -- a giant bear! -- won the day.

All in all it was a great game night. Check out the blog post for tons more photos!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Game night pics!!]
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
Good stuff - keep posting!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Awesome miniatures and terrain!
It looks like you guys had a great time.
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
VERY COOL STUFF! To appreciate just how cool, a visit to the Blog is a must...the additional photos are WONDERFUL.

Awesome miniatures and terrain!
It looks like you guys had a great time.
 :-*

I can but echo those sentiments. Keep posting!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
Just fantastic! Both the minis and the surroundings look so well done. Great details! Awesome paintjobs! I'll be on your blog soon to read about the whole adventure.

Looks like a fun group!

Jevenkah

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
Glad you guys enjoyed the pics and blog. Patrick did a great job of hosting and it was the first chance most of us had to play on the new batch of buildings and dock that he recently added to the terrain collection.  A great time was had by all.

My force was the Chaos Knights.  We soundly defeated the Celtos Orcs in a Treasure hunt, but our second battle against the dwarves went differently. Though we quickly found the magic item, we were killed or fled so completely that at the end of turn 5(?) not one of us was left on the table and the dwarves had only taken two casualties.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
Such nice work, your gaming area looks great and the miniatures are very nicely painted indeed. Great work. Very cool stuff.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »
Hey guys, I've been experimenting lately with using movement trays to enable my circular-based skirmish guys to fight in ordered ranks. We've been looking at playing some larger-scale games, maybe Kings of War, so I'll need a way to quickly move big blocks of troops around the table. Here are some work-in-progress shots of my two dwarf regiments in their movement trays. These are made by Litko and come with 26mm circular holes cut for each figure.

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
It's nice to see someone else play with old Grenadier and Partha figs. I find the amount of detail on them to be very surprising. I have to admit your posts are inspiring me to get out my figs and build up some warbands!

Offline Bloodysword

• Scientist
I really enjoyed the battle reps. spent some time looking through the blog, nice job.  I really love that Chaos Champion. Great figure and nice paint job.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
I really enjoyed the battle reps. spent some time looking through the blog, nice job.  I really love that Chaos Champion. Great figure and nice paint job.
Thanks!
   He was fun to paint. Unfortunately someone had cut off the left arm weapon before I got him, but a shield covered it nicely.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Those Dwarfs are very nice - especially the top set. Are they Grenadier minis?

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Looks like mighty fine adventuring to me. Love the figures, carry on!