Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63802 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Kings of War game, 7/31!!]
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Here are a few photos from a recent game. My dwarves (you can see them on pages 7-8) were attempting to conduct a ritual atop an enchanted clifftop but were stymied by Tim's kobolds! Then my dwarf mage lost control of the magic he was summoning, and a massive portal opened in the aether atop the cliff....with zany results! Read the full blog post here --> http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/08/dark-days-of-qaarra-session-5.html

And here are some pics from the game!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: SBH game, 8/29!!]
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Looks like a fun game.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
The Games & the minis involved in The Adventure are SPLENDID! GREAT REPORTS & PHOTOS!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »
Long time, no update! Well, let's remedy that. I busted my hump and managed to get a decent amount of my Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles painted in time for last month's game night! Josh and I ran through a medium-sized dungeon using the Song of Blades & Heroes basic rules (even though they have a fantastic dungeon-crawl supplement called Song of Gold & Darkness). Here's the blog post from our game: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/10/exploring-underworld-with-dwarven-forge.html

And here are some pics to get you started. I ran a warband composed of my Grenadier Ratscum guys, plus some old Chainmail gnolls and a Reaper Swamp Shambler. Josh's warband was a group of Hordes Circle guys, and we quickly found that 30mm and 40mm circular bases are way too big for dungeoncrawling! They look great on the table but they make it very difficult to move around the cramped corridors of the dungeon.

Props to Josh for the atmospheric photography!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Dwarven Forge dungeon, 10/28!]
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
Those tiles and figures look great together! Is the treasure horde Dungeon Forge too? Awesome looking adventure!

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Dwarven Forge dungeon, 10/28!]
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
That's a change...Beasty Guys vs other & larger Beasty Guys. The minis, dungeon terrain, & game look FANTASTIC. GREAT STUFF!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2013, 05:29:36 AM »
I'm not sure it's the same one, but yes the DF kickstarter had a treasure pile available.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.

The treasure pile is a plastic piece from Acheson Creations. They've got some great stuff at really affordable prices...I picked up this particular piece from their booth at a game convention a few years back. It fits really well with the Dwarven Forge stuff!

If you're curious, Acheson is running a Kickstarter right now for a motley array of fantasy terrain and monster figures. It's an odd mix of stuff but I pledged a few bucks because they're a good company that has given my group a lot of fun over the years (and truly, that's what Kickstarter should be all about...rewarding companies you appreciate, rather than racing to unlock pledge goals).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/244627251/fantasy-worlds

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
The lead parade marches on! In this update, I've gotten started on a unit of dwarf cavalry. These are boar riders from Ghost Miniatures, and I got a whole bunch, armed with a variety of weapons, from my LGS on clearance for about $1.50 per figure. They're not the best dwarf cavalry out there, but they do have a nice old-school vibe going. These two guys are armed with blunderbusses.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Dwarf cavalry, 11/13!]
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »
Not state of the art perhaps, but the Dwarf Boar Fellows look SPLENDID...VERY NICELY DONE!
Ghost seems to have a nice assortment of cool minis at very reasonable prices...now if I could just make a dent in my backlog.

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
HI, I really like the coat of the right hand one. Good work!

Cheers
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
Not state of the art perhaps, but the Dwarf Boar Fellows look SPLENDID...VERY NICELY DONE!
Ghost seems to have a nice assortment of cool minis at very reasonable prices...now if I could just make a dent in my backlog.

I agree, Nala! They've got kind of a primitive charm to them, for lack of a better phrase. I think they'll look quite decent in a big ranked unit of 10 riders (that's my goal anyway).

HI, I really like the coat of the right hand one. Good work

Thank you! Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ghost Miniatures used a bunch of Old Glory sculpts.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
I haven't been neglecting my undead army! It's big enough for a medium-sized Kings of War game right now, but I've got plans to expand it even more, starting with these two standard bearers. They'll work great in either KOW (where they count as independent models that move around the table and inspire units of troops) or skirmish figures for Song of Blades & Heroes (which has some nice, simple rules for standard bearers on the battlefield).

This guy is a converted Cryx pistol wraith from Warmachine ... I cut off the pistols and replaced them with a custom-made standard and a sweet-looking sword.

And this guy is an actual Citadel Undead standard bearer from Warhammer. I got this one as part of a swap with a fellow club member who knows I do undead.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Wow love the Cryx conversion and I've always enjoyed that particular GW one too. Looking good on the PJs and basing too.  :D

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
Love the minis! Is coatl from Black Tree?
It's nothing, sir. Just a burn from a ray gun.