Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:35:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63763 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: The Inn, repainted 4/14!]
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
VERY NICE additions to your terrain! The Inn is a STRIKING piece with lots of Swashbuckling/brawling potential. AND the other piece is intriguing; i.e., it is a cool little building & attractively painted, but its function or possible inhabitants are a mystery. That's what I really like about it. GREAT STUFF!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Guard Shack, 4/15!]
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »
Your inn looks fantastic! Great job with the brickwork. I think you may have just given me the inspiration I needed to redo some wall pieces this holiday!

Always fun catching up on your stuff,
Jevenkah

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
VERY NICE additions to your terrain! The Inn is a STRIKING piece with lots of Swashbuckling/brawling potential. AND the other piece is intriguing; i.e., it is a cool little building & attractively painted, but its function or possible inhabitants are a mystery. That's what I really like about it. GREAT STUFF!

I agree, it's ... generic, but in a good way. Thanks!

Your inn looks fantastic! Great job with the brickwork. I think you may have just given me the inspiration I needed to redo some wall pieces this holiday!

Glad you are inspired. I feel that way whenever I come onto these forums and see everyone's fantastic projects!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »
We got together for a game last week and managed to craft a wonderful large-scale skirmish game using Song of Blades & Heroes set in the main city of our campaign world. It was a 2 vs. 1 game, with me controlling the  merchant guild and some town militia vs. two smaller chaos warbands.

Check out the full blog post here: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/04/blood-soaked-back-alleys-song-of-blades.html

Here's the setup at the start of the game:

The chaos warbands entered from several different points on the map, and I was tasked with dispersing my merchants to different locations, which led to a bunch of different small fights erupting in the back alleys of the city.

Lots more pics at the link above!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Game report, 4/22!]
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
If the game played as well as it looks, you Guys must have had a grand time. GREAT WORK!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
 Great looking board set-up.Nice collection of miniatures too.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »
That board looks pretty cool, I'd love to game there.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
The re-touched and new buildings made a great backdrop for your game. Sounds like it was a fun time! Glad to hear your winter might be over too!

Thanks for the update,
Jevenkah

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:38 AM »
If the game played as well as it looks, you Guys must have had a grand time. GREAT WORK!

I was one of the players in the game and I can attest that it did play as well as it looks.  The "moving objectives" and the use of some improvised height rules (making it more difficult to go up and down) really brought a new dimension and interest to the scenario.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
Hey guys, just a brief update here. I had been struggling for months to get inspired to finish this guy. He is some sort of undead monster from the World of Warcraft board game. I've found that these "miniatures board game" type of games tend to have really awesome, unique miniatures, so I've been keeping an eye out for cheap pieces here and there.

Anyway, I stooped to my task earlier this month and got him in passable tabletop condition. He will be a monster for my Song of Blades & Heroes games, or a god in my Of Gods & Mortals games, or some sort of loathsome behemoth in my Kings of War games!

Look closely, he wants to give you a big hug with his splintered ribs.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
In any game setting or simply in a display case, that Big Dude will freak people out. You did a FINE job on a WONDERFULLY disturbing mini. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
That is revolting! Well done!

Jevenkah

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
OK, time for another game report. We were excited to try out Of Gods & Mortals, written by Andrea Sfiligoi and released last year by Osprey. The game might be best described as large-scale skirmish featuring gods, mortals and legends drawn from history and mythology clashing on the battlefield. Based on our reading of the rulebook, OGAM games are quite a bit larger than the typical SBH game, with maybe 20-25 figures per side in OGAM compared to 6-12 figures for SBH.

Both games share the same basic rules engine, which means we already knew 75% of the rules before we even opened the rulebook. We've been looking for a good framework for doing large-scale SBH games, so Tim and I carved out some table space at last week's club night to try out OGAM.

We built two 900-point armies: Norse/Celt-inspired undead guys for Tim, and Egyptian-themed undead guys for me. Undead vs. undead -- what could go wrong?!

Read the blog post here: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/05/of-gods-mortals-game-report.html

And here are a few pics from the game.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Game report, 5/15!]
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
We've started our third annual summer fantasy campaign using Song of Blades & Heroes, which means its time for more battle reports! Check out the campaign synopsis here: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/p/quake-and-mourn-song-of-blades-heroes.html

Our first session brought 6 players, and over the course of the evening we managed to play at least 6 games (switching players & battlefields between games). Here's the report from the evening: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/06/quake-and-mourn-campaign-session-1.html

And here are some pics of my warband in action! I was playing a hodgepodge chaos warband featuring all sorts of evil and nefarious figures that I have been wanting to get on the battlefield, including a mindflayer, gnoll, orc, necromancer, dark templar and a few others. Sometimes it's fun to just eschew the typical "orc raiding party" style warband and just put together a bunch of evil dudes.

Here they are slaughtering some orcs:

And here they are receiving a cavalry charge:

And here are the warband members posing atop this rocky outcrop:

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Campaign kickoff, 6/29!]
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
I finally got around to painting up Nethyrmaul the Undying, that huge undead dragon from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter. Maybe he'll hit the battlefield sometime soon!!