Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:30:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mekton... added details of new Mecha models  (Read 3436 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
(KICKSTARTER) Mekton... added details of new Mecha models
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
Seems that R Talsorian Games Inc are re-launching Mekton as a rpg/squad skirmish game and judging by the little video will be re-making and adding to the original series of mecha models.  At least those they show there are the same as the ones I have in my collection.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1888572386/mekton-zero?ref=live

Looks as if it will reach funding easily enough but may lose out a bit on big money considering the runaway success of Robotech already. Still, it was the best Mecha combat system for Gundam style gaming so great to see it back.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:37:04 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Mekton is back!.......R Talsorian Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
I find the rewards a bit strange. A bu per sticker and a tshirt being the first tiers with a PDF. Why not just sell the PDF at a cheaper price without the shirt and sticker, that's just pure profit with minimal effort. Not a huge amount are going to be after the shirts. And bumper stickers!!?! Seriously?
The concept looks cool though.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »
Looks...mediocre, but I really just can't think of a worse time than to do this during/on-the-heels-of Robotech's KS.  I wish them luck - what scale are they going with?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Strange, the first lines say it's not a relaunch, but a wargame compatible with the RPG. If you scroll down it starts to look like it an RPG for itself.

I always liked Mekton and the Algol setting. I'lll propably buy it when it comes out (No I won't back it, I have no credit card and dislike KS marketing anyways)
Far less active than I used to...

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »
Ok, I'll admit I am kind of a Mekton fan. Never to round to running it but my god have I spend hours generating characters and mecha for it. Its flawed, but I love it.

I find the rewards a bit strange. A bu per sticker and a tshirt being the first tiers with a PDF. Why not just sell the PDF at a cheaper price without the shirt and sticker, that's just pure profit with minimal effort. Not a huge amount are going to be after the shirts. And bumper stickers!!?! Seriously?
The concept looks cool though.

FAQ adresses this, its not perfect but I guess not as bad as it looks either.

What if I don't want a T-Shirt or Bumper Sticker?

You can exchange the T-Shirt or Bumper Sticker for credit to be used on Add-Ons, (That will open up later in the project), such as Mecha Minis and Unit Patches.

The T-Shirt will get you 15 Dollars of Credit.

The Bumper Sticker will get you 10 Dollars of Credit.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »
That's a bonus.
They need to make it more obvious than just in the FAQ though.  :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »
Chances are this reaches goal today already. I am very curious what we will be seeing as stretch goals, the past few projects I have had interest in had their stretch goals announced way in advance. (as extra incitement I suppose)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
This has passed its funding goal so hopefully they will give some details of the stretch goals....and fingers crossed, they will include some of the minis.
The minis in the video seem to be from the oop RAFM 1/300 range:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/rafm/mekton.html

It would be great to see them available again outside eBay.

The Mekton I and II rules were far better for skirmish combat than the similar vintage Robotech RPG. Mekton seemed to be a tabletop game first and foremost with an rpg veneer. The Robotech rpg was the other way.

It looks as if this new version is adding more rpg/storyline to the skirmish game. I hope more details will be forthcoming on the tabletop side of things which is what really interests me about this KS. The addition of Gashopon style creatures and bioengineed mecha is interesting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:22:31 PM by robh »

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
Oh they made Castle Falkenstein! A true gem i the rpg genre.

But I'm not really looking for a rpg and I spent all my Cash on Robotech Tactics. A bit strange timing for this KS.
Too many projects... not enough time...

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
The addition of Gashopon style creatures and bioengineed mecha is interesting.

Bioengineered mecha were allready in Zeta+. I hope they will take some of the money and pay some codemonkeys to give us a Mekton generator. Building Zeta+ mechas by hand can be discouraging.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
First stretch goal has been revealed. 25k (about 2k away) all pledges of $200 or more get 10 mecha models free, 5 each of 2 types. Lower pledges get the opportunity to take the models as add ons.

If these are the same RAFM models as released previously (link above) they are excellent.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:30 AM »
Good to hear I hope RAFM will bring back the Project: Rimfire character minis. (and I strongly hope Mike Pondsmith will publish an update to that campaign book for the new system)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Mekton Kickstarter......added details of new Mecha models
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:05 PM »
The mecha models are new and are going to be around 1/400 scale ???  mini-mecha!

Seems the aim is to get models that are 28mm high with the game designed for lots of them in combats. Pondsmith comments on them being sculpted currently but nothing  as to plastic, resin or metal production.

The old RAFM range was nominally 1/300 but individual mecha models varied from that, to 1/285 or to 1/200 so these will be considerably smaller.  No details yet if the later "Greek series" designs will be included but they do bear a striking similarity to the Agendi Mecha drawing on the KS page so possibly there will be mini versions of them too.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:39:01 PM by robh »

Offline spacecowsmith

• Librarian
Re: Mekton Kickstarter......added details of new Mecha models
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:34 AM »
Hmm its a bit of a shame they went for such an odd scale. If they were 6mm or even 10mm they would probably be more popular.
http://talesfromfarpoint.blogspot.co.uk/

An Adventure in small scale gaming and 2nd Edition 40k!