Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:59:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690727
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bretonnian foot knights  (Read 17292 times)

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
Bretonnian foot knights
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »
Hi all,

I've finally made a start on my forces for a Warhammer 3rd edition game I'm planning with Christian. My army will be mainly dwarves, but also a contingent of foot knights, as well as some wood elves. I will post any painting updates on this project in this thread in future :)

Started on these guys on the weekend:

Have posted the WIPs on my blog:
http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/

I've got a whole unit of these to paint! So far I've only done highlighting on the blue and burgundy guys' tunics. Added the bleached bone to half the top of the third knight's tunic after Christian pointed out he looked a bit Christmas-y with the red and green. I like how it's turning out so far.

Hope to post up some finished pics of at least these three and my gladiatrix too, over the Easter weekend. We'll see how many others I manage to do! Thank goodness for public holidays ;)

[EDIT] I've made the pic a bit bigger so it's easier to see!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:42:30 PM by Painting Princess »
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Bretonnian foot knights
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »
Looking good so far, even though the picture is really tiny.

How large will this unit of foot knights be exactly? And will you be using all old metal minis? If so, that'll be a sight to behold indeed! 8)

I'll check in after Easter to see the progress... ;-)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
I'll keep an eye on these. Always like a bit of old school.

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
Thanks stone-cold-lead!

Looking good so far, even though the picture is really tiny.

How large will this unit of foot knights be exactly? And will you be using all old metal minis? If so, that'll be a sight to behold indeed! 8)

I'll check in after Easter to see the progress... ;-)

Thanks, I've made the pic a bit bigger; you can also click it bigger on the blog too :)

Off the top of my head, I think it's 15 figures. It's a mix of original Citadel minis from the 80s and "ex-Citadel" Foundry casts. Same sculpts though.

I've also got a monk, which will be a character, and a musician, which I'm told is quite hard to find. Looking forward to painting him!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Liking them so far PP and loving the sound of that gladiatrix!!  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
Nice work. :)

Off the top of my head, I think it's 15 figures.

Is that about average for any unit?  What about units in an army?  I'm seeing bits and pieces of 'oldhammer' leaking onto a few forums, and it's tempting.  But I think I'd be more tempted if 3rd ed skewed towards warbands - or at least fewer minis than the current trends of hordes and 40K apocalypse, etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:19:20 PM by Vermis »

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »
Liking them so far PP and loving the sound of that gladiatrix!!  :)

Thanks, Frank :)

Is that about average for any unit?  What about units in an army?  I'm seeing bits and pieces of 'oldhammer' leaking onto a few forums, and it's tempting.  But I think I'd be more tempted if 3rd ed skewed towards warbands - or at least fewer minis than the current trends of hordes and 40K apocalypse, etc.

Thanks, Vermis!

I'm not sure if that's the average ... I kind of just bought enough to have even ranks. I've already got about a billion of the newer GW Bretonnian minis that I got for my very first army (which, coincidentally, is still not finished!). I wanted this to be small, more like a warband rather than a proper unit. We were thinking along the same lines, of having smaller forces rather than a massive army. The dwarf units are also going to be quite small.

I took a couple of pics of the unpainted figures last night, minus the three above.

Maybe I'll take a few pics of the other units I'm planning to use in this game over the weekend ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:14:47 PM by Painting Princess »

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Is that about average for any unit?  What about units in an army?  I'm seeing bits and pieces of 'oldhammer' leaking onto a few forums, and it's tempting.  But I think I'd be more tempted if 3rd ed skewed towards warbands - or at least fewer minis than the current trends of hordes and 40K apocalypse, etc.

Back in the day 20 foot to a unit was pretty average, 10 for mounted perhaps. If you were using the points system then 2000 points for an army was the norm. Then GW's prices went up and WD started to show smaller armies (some as low as 500 points) and units of say 10 foot or 5 cavalry being used.

If you look at the old RoC books they have sections on creating Chaos warbands of various sorts and they can be very small. Wouldn't take much to convert that to other races/army types.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
Ta you two. :)

I wanted this to be small, more like a warband rather than a proper unit. We were thinking along the same lines, of having smaller forces rather than a massive army.

Then GW's prices went up and WD started to show smaller armies (some as low as 500 points) and units of say 10 foot or 5 cavalry being used.

I've latched onto Kings of War (and unit bases) for mass battles.  I'm very indecisive and I don't want to go throwing everything up in the air again!  But if WH 3rd is as much fun at it seems to be, I wouldn't be opposed to a wee army to try it out.

On-topic: another thing that attracts me to oldhammer is all the oldschool minis on display.  That's a nice spread of metal, PP!  :-*

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

On-topic: another thing that attracts me to oldhammer is all the oldschool minis on display.  That's a nice spread of metal, PP!  :-*

Yeah, I was browsing Foundry's ex-Citadel stuff this morning.  ::)  I really must resist putting in that order.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
You've got yourself some Cool Old Guys there...the Talisman Priest is an old friend; AND you're doing a FINE job giving them a new lease on life...the green,red, & white knight is my favorite of the three. Keep up the GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »

Thanks, Vermis! There are some really nice old figures - I like the character they have that some of the newer figures don't.

Yeah, I was browsing Foundry's ex-Citadel stuff this morning.  ::)  I really must resist putting in that order.

It's hard to do! I wanted mounted knights as well, but then I thought: "I'm going to have to buy enough mounted knights for a unit, and I'm going to have another Bretonnian unit ... too many minis!" It's got to stay small, otherwise we might as well be playing the current edition ... ;D

You've got yourself some Cool Old Guys there...the Talisman Priest is an old friend; AND you're doing a FINE job giving them a new lease on life...the green,red, & white knight is my favorite of the three. Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Thanks DeafNala, your positive comments and encouragement are always appreciated! :) I got the Talisman priest on eBay recently. He made it through the somewhat extensive round of eliminations to be elected Bretonnian Monk of 2013 ;D Took a bit of searching to find an interesting mini! I didn't want him to look too sombre or bishop-y ...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
If you check out Foundry's Ebay store they've got their ex-Citadel stuff at £9 a pack and the same £4 flat rate postage as they offer in their web store.

Must resist... shiney...

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
Hello Princess, I can not wait to see these guys painted up, I love these old metal Citadel/Foundry knights. I have been itching to buy some for years now. I really like your painting style and know you are going to bring these guys to life (especially that Talisman cleric). I'll be watching this thread closely.

Cheers,
  Damien

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Hello Princess, I can not wait to see these guys painted up, I love these old metal Citadel/Foundry knights. I have been itching to buy some for years now. I really like your painting style and know you are going to bring these guys to life (especially that Talisman cleric). I'll be watching this thread closely.

Cheers,
  Damien

Thanks, Damien, for the lovely comments!

Sadly I didn't get as far as I'd hoped over the Easter weekend, despite finishing my gladiatrix. I have the unfortunate tendency to get all excited about "almost finishing my knights!!" and then being reminded that they also have shields ...

SO ... I have only fully completed one knight of the trio; the others are awaiting their shields ... Here he is:

And some detail behind him - the pic is a bit fuzzy:

You can also see some more pics of him on my blog: http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/first-completed-foot-knight-for.html

Hope you all like him!