Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:16:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Plastic Vistula Legion and Waterloo book on pre-order  (Read 9043 times)

former user

Re: Warlord Plastic Vistula Legion and Waterloo book on pre-order
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

it says on the box (plastic and metal)
these are basically french with metal heads, so this wasn't much of a tooling effort.....

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
I assume the troops are plastic and command is metal, that is the usual Warlord way.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
I must admit that I thought that the Polish troops were wearing the Kurta (sp?) jacket which had the lapels closed all the way down - certainly by the time they went to the Peninsular.

Seems like a poor choice for a conversion from their French infantry - if that is what it is

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
Hmm,
If I am not mistaken all companies should have czapskas, right?
And is it just me or are these "just" their plastic French with new heads?

I must admit that I thought that the Polish troops were wearing the Kurta (sp?) jacket which had the lapels closed all the way down - certainly by the time they went to the Peninsular.

Seems like a poor choice for a conversion from their French infantry - if that is what it is

I might be wrong, because I’m far from being a Napoleonic Uniforms expert, but I find these "Polish" figures very odd… I too would expect all the troop to wear czapskas and the close coat (like the Bavarian one). Also, the box art seem odd as well with troopers in long tailed coat and the drummer in the 1812 Bardin regulation Livrée Impériale…

I liked their French Infantry but really dislike the fact that single sprues are so expensive (considering they are unboxed, plastic figures…)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:15:34 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
HURRAY! finally Waterloo, at last I can have rules that are biased towards the useless British and that knock everyone else who actually fought in that campaign....

And HURRAY! plastic polish that are almost as expensive as the metals from front rank miniatures.....Jesus Christ warlord.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Calimero, you ate right.  I did some checking, the drummer is 1812, but the rest wear much older uniforms......

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
 Actually the shakos are correct for the Vistula legion, but the coats and shaking plates are wrong. http://empire.histofig.com/IMG/jpg/pologne02.jpg

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
So, basically, this is an attempt on scoring some extra money on an existing set of sprues, ignoring all existing references to actual uniforms (and 'cleverly' disguising the fly-away lapels on the grenadier by painting the waistcoat in the  lapel-colour - a feature forgotten in the box art).

Certainly not cricket.  :-[
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
I was all enthused when I saw these. Cheap plastic Poles, decent sculpts - just when I'm on the lookout for a little variety to add to my French.

Then, hmmm, something's not right. Box art was a clue then, shakos, cuffs.....I'm no expert, but I'd like the figs to be accurate. I know the uniforms changed a bit and the unit wore many items of French kit but overall something is lacking.

http://empire.histofig.com/Vistula-Legion.html

C'mon Warlord....tell me I'm wrong!

Ok....
So I may be wrong.....

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.skh.wat.edu.pl/index.php/mundury-legii-nadw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.skh.wat.edu.pl/index.php/mundury-legii-nadw/%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DbIw%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1467%26bih%3D692&sa=X&ei=R9pWUYjqGvGTiAfahICYDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ7gEwAA 

See TMP http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=300798   for more background. I think that there is sufficient variance in the uniform worn and sufficient evidence  in the above for me to buy a box, along with a slice of humble pie!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:03:34 PM by Emir of Askaristan »

Offline 14th brooklyn

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
This is what Paul from Warlord posted on TMP the other day when it came to historical accuracy:

Afternoon gents,

We researched these extensively, aided and abetted by Polish speakers and their Polish language reference books. We chose to go with the uniforms as depicted in Gembarzewski's mighty tome on the subject (don't ask me the title – it's in Polish!). It's worth noting that the sculptor is also Polish and relied on help from contacts back in his homeland in addition to Gembarzewski.

Rest assured, these miniatures are correct – as much as we can know of something that happened so long ago. Don't forget the Vistula Legion, whilst equipped largely in the French uniforms were proud of their Polish roots and often sought to exhibit this in their attire.

We're very pleased with the result of this set and especially Peter Dennis' box art.

Cheers and Happy Easter!

Paul

Honestly... This left me deeply in doubt. Essentially what he said is: "We have the info from a book I can not name and it is supported by unnamed contacts of the sculptor. But all are from Poland so it must be correct." If you supply sources like that in a scientific paper it would get smashed and basically... The first step for sculpting minis is historic (=scientific) research.

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Bronislaw Gembarzewski was an officer in both the Imperial Russian and Polish armies and a founder/director of the Warsaw military museum. His research is considered very very good he was able to use a lot of material and original pieces that were later lost during world war II. 

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
Rest assured, these miniatures are correct – as much as we can know of something that happened so long ago.

Hmmm. Sounds like a bit of a disclaimer there. I suspect the cheapness and ease of using existing sprues has more to do with how they look here. Typical Warlord, to be honest, nearly all their "new" barbarian types use those old Celt bodies still.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
Well, the rifleman is the sweetener figure.......

Swift and Bold  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:53 AM »
Hmmm. Sounds like a bit of a disclaimer there. I suspect the cheapness and ease of using existing sprues has more to do with how they look here. Typical Warlord, to be honest, nearly all their "new" barbarian types use those old Celt bodies still.

I was going to say - regurgitated models with a couple metal command minis, or swapped heads is...well, it's the Warlord way.  I can't express how pissed I was (before understanding how warlord works...) when I originally ordered a box of each ECW faction..only to find it was the same damn sprues with different sticker flags tossed in the box.

I want to like Warlord stuff but I get so damn tired of their shady practices...I haven't bought anything else since.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
For what it's worth, Roger Murrow is going to release some Vistula Legion figures later this year in his Muraswki range. The figures will be sculpted by Paul Hicks, who already did Roger's superb Duchy of Warsaw figures.