Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Plastic Vistula Legion and Waterloo book on pre-order  (Read 8941 times)

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
Re: Warlord Plastic Vistula Legion and Waterloo book on pre-order
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
Another strange one on the plastics front. I always seen plastics as the way to get large armies quick. How many boxes of Polish would you actually need before you go oh i have enough.
Going by warlords info you need 6 max.
3 regiments of 2 battalion each (meaning 6 battalions)
Each battalion being 6 companies of 140 men (840 total)
Black powder is around a 25-1 ratio for infantry so each battalion is 33.6 models (or 32-34 rounding)
Each box is 36 models so that's 6 boxes and leaving you 12-24 spares.
Simple.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:42:12 AM by King Tiger »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
For what it's worth, Roger Murrow is going to release some Vistula Legion figures later this year in his Muraswki range. The figures will be sculpted by Paul Hicks, who already did Roger's superb Duchy of Warsaw figures. 

I picked up a sample of the Muraski Poles with my last Eureka order and I have to say they are fantastic. I am afraid I will fail my discipline test and order a load of them before long despite the fact that I have piles of unpainted napoleonics sitting around already.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
Is there only one Paul Hicks?  Can he be cloned?  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »
Is there only one Paul Hicks?  Can he be cloned?  :D

Nope, but he happens to be the reincarnation of the goddess Mahakali (the ten-armed version, that is, as opposed to the four-armed Kali, who clearly can't match Paul's output).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
Hmm... the Front Rank minis have the closed lapels but not (as far as I can see from the small pics) extended all the way down to the waist, as is the most common variety in illustrations.

I don't know what is more correct...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »
Warlord also have a Polish sculptor on staff, which I am sure helped.

I do trust them on these, and can imagine they will end up in my army at some point!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »
Oh man, Paul Hicks VL, like his DoW ones. I'm in finally the French can have some interesting reinforcements in the Penninsula!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
I have received my box and had a quick gander at it.

I'll knock up some shots and a full description shortly.

There are plenty heads, mostly in shakos rather then czapka, but there at least 10 or so of these plus a few bearskins and pokalems.

There are 4 metal figs, 2 Officers, a Sapper and a Drummer.

Full review to follow....

:)

Offline Lord of Jerwood

• Scientist
    • Jerwood Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
anyone know how they compare to offensive one ?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
Ok,
Review time.

Opening the box there are 8 sprues of plastic figures.

There are 4 metal command figures and a selection of metal heads.

The bad news is indeed that the plastic figure sprues are the Warlord French.

Each sprue has 3 centre co figs and one flank co fig. As you can see there are 7 czapka heads and 11 shako heads with the sunburst patter plate.  The other heads are French shako with the lozenge plate which features an eagle or number 2 or 3.

The metal figures are two officers, a drummer and sapper. These are nice and have plenty of relief for painting. The drummer is in the imperial livery.

Relief on the plastic figures is perhaps a little lighter than on the Perry plastics, but is similar to the Victrix figs.

I make the figs approx 28mm foot to eye and overall they are probably less chunky than Front Rank but slightly more so than Perry.

All poses are march attack and the only assembly required is the head and the pack. These latter pieces are marked with Imperial "N", bugle or grenade.

Ok now for a comparison with the uniforms!

As these figures are based on "mid" French they have the long coat with square cuffs. There is nothing obviously " Polish" about the uniform other than the metal czapka. Warlord have said that this is because the Vistula Legion was equipped from a variety of sources including French regular line uniforms. Unlike other Polish regiments this does seem to have been the case, and a trawl through various Google sources seems to back this up, or at least confirm that uniform varied quite a bit.

Overall they are nice figures, quick to assemble - but the metal head/plastic body interface is a fiddle to fix and probably needs a pin to make secure. The uniforms are a real mix - 1812 drummer, 1807/8 inf in long coat not kurta. I know Warlord say they've got a Polish expert advising on the uniform and I've read their notes on the figures but I can't help feeling disappointed by them - I think they've tried to cover too many bases here.

They'll paint up well and if you are not a button counter then you won't be too worried. If you are you will give these a body swerve. If like me you are somewhat inbetween you will be trying work out how to use them somehow!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the review, those do look good, and with the various points/counterpoints I think you've summed it up quite well as to usage. Probably will get two boxes myself for my French Army - I think they're "Just Historical Enough" for me! :D

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
Many thanks for the review and pics. Definitely take a swerve to miss these recycled French....

As others have said, the Murowski Poles are fantastic....so give them a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Never was a fan much of the warlord French, and the laziness of these really puts me off, I can't stand plastic-metal combi models much, and with the price, uniform and just general laziness I'm not suprised allot of the comments and opinions of these are underwhelmed customers.

I also wonder from previous warlord experience if the metal command are tiny in comparison to the plastics?, hard to tell from pics.

Another letdown honestly, I was hoping plastic bodies and heads, with just the command in metal, which still would not make me buy them, I'm just not into the whole leather bondage thigh high boots thing these French seem to love showing off.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
According to my sources stockists are avoiding these WL Poles. I'd quite like some Poles to add to my French but not these

I've just picked up my copy of the AT2 and very nice it is too. I have to declare a vested interest though as i get an honourable mention by Ady Mc (playtesting)
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"