Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Upcoming SAGA releases  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Upcoming SAGA releases
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
A beauty of a building even though a hefty price, would look stunning on the table

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
All very impressive!  Although I am dying for a King Arthur supp too, I also have a Rus force, and this is just what I'll need to get excited for painting it!

I really wish they had included a 4th, Mongol, or at least generic "Asian Steppes Archers" board--although I guess maybe you could use Byzantines?  I suppose that would be a somewhat unrealistic expectation however given that they don't have a Mongol range of minis! They do, however, have some Asian auxiliary types.

The Great Hall is awesome--I'll be interested to see what kind of scenarios they come up with for it. They really need some kind of small siege rules....

Ax

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
Alex mentioned a Steppe Nomads Swords for Hire unit to appear in the new supplement over on his blog.

I guess that's as close as you are going to get!  ;)

http://mousquetstomahawks.blogspot.se/2013/03/une-surprise-surprise.html

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »
I get why people are interested in an Arthurian supplement but I feel that is extremely easy to convert for oneself as the combat is very similar historically. The crusades on the other hand introduce all kinds of new warfare and thus I think is a more needed rule set.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 11:31:57 PM »
That's a good point.  I have played a few games of SAGA using my arthurian figures - so far have used viking rules for the saxons, and Anglo-Danish for the Romano-British.  If only my dice rolling were good enough I could actually beat the viking battle board, lol.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
Damn Canadians! So calm and rational and purposeful! If it weren't for Coffee Crisps and the Canadian Ballet, I'd have no use for the lot of you... ::) ;)

I want pretty boards, mock historical nonsense, and a good batch of eye-candy, and that is why I want an official SAGA Arthurian supplement.

So there. Did the Sabres actually beat the Leafs this year?  lol

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
It's pretty sure that they will release a Crusades book first. It was mentioned in passing on a recent Meeples & Miniatures podcast, where Gripping Beast associate Mike Hobbs is appearing every now and then. Given the Beast's portfolio, though, I'd guess they are aiming at the later and/or northern Crusades as well.
After that, again pretty sure, they will turn towards the sub-Roman period. But if that's going to happen this year or rather on the verge of 2014 and beyond, who knows?

In my opinion, Gripping Beast/Studio Tomahawk are pushing it a bit, anyway. From what I gathered, SAGA has turned out a great success, and that's despite steep pricing, supply issues etc. Hence, do they really need to squeeze money out of each and every bit of it?
Of course, people are constantly demanding 'official' stuff. And as long as people are willing to pay for it, who could blame the guys at GB/ST for meeting that demand? However, I for one would welcome some kind of 'free' support, be it 'unofficial' factions, amendments or (and that's my main quibble) additional scenarios and campaign ideas channelled by GB/ST. It's hard enough if you want to introduce people to a new – and great! – system with such a substantial entry fee. :(

Rant over, sorry for that.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »
There are plenty of un official supplements out there. Of the top of my head there is already a crusade one for the First Crusade, a Peloponnesian War supplement and a Trojan War supplement. LeadAsbestos some of these supplements have great looking battle boards to boot. All it takes is one person to get like minded individuals together and you can make your very own Arthurian supplement.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
I've also seen a Hundreds Year War supplement over on the studio tomahawk forum, available for free.

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
Wow, that's ace! Price however, is not.
I think the price is arrogant and bold. 12 pge for nearly 12 pounds? Sounds like a bad greeting of Games Workshop. THe reason to buy stuff from serious companies. Hope the sell very less copies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
I think the price is arrogant and bold. 12 pge for nearly 12 pounds? Sounds like a bad greeting of Games Workshop. THe reason to buy stuff from serious companies. Hope the sell very less copies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? I was on about the Great Hall. I'm not sure I understand your post.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
What? I was on about the Great Hall. I'm not sure I understand your post.

It seems that folks don't want to pay premium prices for a high quality product that they enjoy, that has a high resale value, and that has the potential to give them years of enjoyment. This is why wargames companies for the most part cannot survive. If I want them to continue, sometimes I have to give them money! ::)

Pricey, yes. But I like what they are making, the new supplement and the Great Hall, and if I can afford them, and see a use for them, I'll bite. Yes, I could go cheap ,and get some Old Glory minis, and a set of photo-copied rules. But I won't! Just print out some paper chits, or better yet, imagine you had some sweet minis, and buy nothing!

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »
Sory, I talked about the "new" supplement. 12 Pages for 12 Pounds. It includes the Wargames Illustrated Byzantine Stuff and Rus. The Great Hall is ok, the supplement not.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
It seems that folks don't want to pay premium prices for a high quality product that they enjoy, that has a high resale value, and that has the potential to give them years of enjoyment. This is why wargames companies for the most part cannot survive. If I want them to continue, sometimes I have to give them money! ::)

Pricey, yes. But I like what they are making, the new supplement and the Great Hall, and if I can afford them, and see a use for them, I'll bite. Yes, I could go cheap ,and get some Old Glory minis, and a set of photo-copied rules. But I won't! Just print out some paper chits, or better yet, imagine you had some sweet minis, and buy nothing!

Well put. I love the Great Hall and would love one but apparently £200 is not even the full retail price, and based on my limited understanding of laser cut buildings I'm really not sure the price should be so high. That said, I will probably get one if I manage to save up (which I won't)