Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) 28mm sci fi traffic hazards: banner/splash contest  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm sci fi traffic hazards kickstarter: banner/spash contest
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
I have to agree with the people who say you need pictures on a plain background. It would also help if you had some of the cars painted in simple color patterns. The picture is just too busy. I'd love to find some sci-fi cars to populate a Cyberpunk style future, and I like quite a few of yours, based on the 3D file pics. I just need some better images. The other thing you need to show is a human miniature next to the cars. Without that human the buyer will never know how big the car is. You can't just say it's a 28mm scale car because no one can agree how big a 28mm car is supposed to be. 

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 02:22:30 AM »
The other thing you need to show is a human miniature next to the cars. Without that human the buyer will never know how big the car is.

I concur.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:49:31 AM »
The other thing you need to show is a human miniature next to the cars. Without that human the buyer will never know how big the car is. You can't just say it's a 28mm scale car because no one can agree how big a 28mm car is supposed to be
That sort of defeats the purpose of showing a human figure next to the car miniature too, tho. Namely, miniature manufacturers and gamers really don't agree on how big a 28mm human is supposed to be either.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done at all, but it doesn't beat plain old measurements, such as get given with Dropzone Commander minis for example.

Offline atropos907

• Lurker
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »
Much appreciated everyone!

I do appreciate the opinion, even if they may be from the vocal minority or otherwise not in line with the average silent consumer.   It looks like the competition was a wash as it is now the 20th, but this thread was educational.

I have been painting a few 28mm "showgirls" for scale comparison in between some 40k stuff for a commission.  Ive been largely silent as I liked the differing viewpoints presented and preferred to see how the thread naturaly played out even with no entries.   I almost piped in a few times to "defend my vision" or what have you but decided that if this really was the reaction I was getting I should let it play out rather than influence the responses.

At present Im waiting on a test batch of minis back from a spin caster and a resin caster to gauge feasibility of making these.  One siad they shipped this week, the other said they would ship by Monday.  I suppose its also a test of reliability.

And even if I decide not to bother with a kickstarter or selling these this was educational and amusing.  While I can pressure cast these myself, I haven't the time to do production runs of resin, and I havent the facilities for pewter.  Besides, Im still getting everything on that list eventually for my games =)

Happy gaming!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
Having scrolled through the Kickstarter page and seen the actual casts, I think that the project owner is doing himself a huge dis-favour with the garish paint schemes.

I know he is trying to make things look futuristic and 'concept' but the plain resin casts that he showed, highlight the look of the vehicles much better. They actually have smooth lines with nice panel lines and sharp casting... the painted vehicles have a lot of implied texture and a covering effect so you can't actually see what the vehicles really look like.

There is nothing wrong with having the ultra-bright, ultra-detailed, glossy paint schemes on the display pieces (which highlight the owner's vision) but he really needs to have plain/basically painted versions of each model to show off the actual product.

Some of these vehicles look excellent (especially the cargo carrier and reverse trikes) but I got a much better idea of what they looked like in the plain resin pix.

The scenery and gaming mat is great and really suits the theme that the cars have been designed for but I can see much more profit in selling the vehicles for other styles and battlefields and I think that plain paint jobs would expand the interest in these ten fold.

Judging by the fact he has mentioned painting commissions, I believe that he should view the Kickstarter as 'selling a product' rather than 'showcasing his painting ability'.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:56:02 AM by Inso »

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
Having scrolled through the Kickstarter page and seen the actual casts, I think that the project owner is doing himself a huge dis-favour with the garish paint schemes.

Agreed, they look too much light hot wheels toys and too little like a prop that should blend in with the rest of your terrain.  I'm also not wild about using stretch goals for weapon mounts on the existing designs. Making a sleek car and then sticking a blunt turret mount on it seems a touch silly.

That said I believe I'll back for some of the wheeled vehicles.  They are a little more expensive than Antenociti or Old Crow, but being in the US, the shipping differential should work out close to a wash.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
But still...that airbrushing is out of this world. Each time I see his airbrush works I want to destroy my Iwata...
Love the paintjobs, but not interested in the cars at the moment. Too high tech for me (I'm back in my Warzone flow ;)).
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”