Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:46:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Airfix Generation  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Airfix Generation
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
Ooooh the Junkers 52!!!  The number of wargames we had that started with one of us coming into the room, JU52 held aloft to the accompaniment of 'Where Eagles Dare' playing on a record player.  The German Inf officer firing the pistol was Derren Nesbitt, then they released the Alpine troops wooooooooot!!

'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Mjolnir

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
Careful with the swastikas in here; I don't know if a picture of a model kit box violates the rules, but remember, it's a German forum.  ???
Argonor
I'am very sorry!
I removed the pic to be certain ;)
In Flanders we don't have such regulations, so it's hard to remember...

Michael
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:11:08 PM by Mjolnir »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
Argonor
I'am very sorry!
I Flanders we don't have such regulations, so it's hard to remember...

Michael

Argonor's right, and thanks for acting so quickly. As reference for all future posters, yes, box art and completed models are subject to the relevant legislation as well, so no swastikas in this case, please.

Apart from that, wonderful images, those. I guess it's a "sign of the times" re changing tastes - I really like the exquisite clean art you get on Revell boxes nowadays, for instance, but those vintage pieces definitely have a special charm of their own.

Offline Mjolnir

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »
Argonor's right, and thanks for acting so quickly. As reference for all future posters, yes, box art and completed models are subject to the relevant legislation as well, so no swastikas in this case, please.

Apart from that, wonderful images, those. I guess it's a "sign of the times" re changing tastes - I really like the exquisite clean art you get on Revell boxes nowadays, for instance, but those vintage pieces definitely have a special charm of their own.
I think I still have some old catalogue's at my parents 8)

Sorry for the swastika. In Ghent we have a building in the center of town, and in the brickwork on the outside you
can see a form of a swastika.
It has been there for years and nobody who thinks about it..

Offline duivelindoosje

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
to match mjolnir germans

here come the french

still have the figurines ( yes with bicycles and one with a pigeon)

dont know about the box

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
Argonor
I'am very sorry!
I Flanders we don't have such regulations, so it's hard to remember...

Michael

No problem on my behalf, but we don't want the Prof. to get any trouble from the authorties  :)

You can always cover the symbols in question in some image editing software before posting.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
My own memories were spending my weekend pocketmoney in either Woolworths or Redanas in Swansea.

Then trying to build and apply the transfers in a record - breaking time.

Just to show that things never change this very week I have been sitting with my Wife's Cousins son - and building an Airfix Spitfire, his first Airfix kit - and he's doing a very good job of it, in fact he's bought a second kit - the Dogfight Doubles P40 and Mitsubishi Zero.

Tony

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
My first Airfix box was the US 7th Cavalry!

And some times later, I had the Airfix Indians.

My first opponent in a game with Airfix miniatures was... my own grandmother! There was no game rules, just the miniatures on the table and do what we can.

Remember? In the Indian box, there were two or three indians crawling on the ground with a knife in their hand.

When my US cavalry charged the Indians, my grandmother let these Indians to face the cavalry. When I brought the US cavalrymen upon the crawling Indians, my grandmother said that the Indians cut the tendons of the horses legs with their knives.

AAAargh. My first defeat in a wargame! And the first time I heard that someone could want to hurt a horse. :'(

(OOOPs no! it was my second defeat in a wargame. My first defat was before this, with bigger miniatures. I was defending a fortress made with wooden construction toys, and my aunt used a miniature crane to bring her soldiers on the battlement. I thought it was treason I had never imagined that someone could do anything with a crane on a battlefield >:().

Never trust family. ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:25:38 PM by Patrice »