Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: And I proclaim this place to be known as... Obsession!  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: And I proclaim this place to be known as... Obsession!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »
I can do you a number of Henry repeating rifles and some Springfield rifles. Drop me a PM and we can sort something out.

That's very kind mate, will do. Cheers.

Oh, and I feel like I saw a resin of an Old West gun rack somewhere...maybe I'm just inventing things in my mind..hmm... :?

I DO have a rifle cabinet for my sheriff's office, that might be it? Part of the resin furniture from Frontline Wargames.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
Yeah, that's probably it.  :)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 02:34:25 AM »
It's been a bit quiet I know, but too much work and other commitments have had to be dealt with. I have only managed to finally paint my 12 horses  :'(.

BUT I'm having faith in the resurrection of Ye Ole West! I have roped in a guy at my gaming club, possibly two that have enjoyed the games we've played and now we are looking at purchasing Dead Man's Hand (have to wait until payday Friday).

Then I might also invest in a few more Sarissa buildings (The Corner Hotel is mighty tempting), a couple of Artizan minis and depending on the paycheck, maybe those Blue Moon civilians too...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:20 AM »
Legionnaire,

My group has adopted a "host your game" philosophy which works really well with skirmish games.  If one of us likes a game or genre enough we take sole responsibility for hosting it - providing all the terrain/rules/miniatures.  If others players like it enough they are encouraged to buy some minis, or even terrain etc. (if they really like it!).

It's expensive for the hosting player, but it keeps from developing a Warhammer style issue where everyone has to invest tons of money just to play a simple game.  For instance, I have a full Old West set-up and a couple of friends just have 10-12 models to represent their posses/gangs when we play.

However, I also have enough models to cover 3-4 posses/gangs.  It seems to work well so far, as it's always hard to get more than a couple people who really like one genre ---- yet everyone in the group would of course love to play a fully fleshed out game.

Most players don't feel too bad about buying up a dozen models to play...as long as you bring the goods for them to play on! lol

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »
Thanks to all of you, I spent the better part of the past 5 days building my Western Town from scratch, and I don't even have figures for it yet.  I'm thinking of naming it Purgatory, just can't decide what state to place it in.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »
Legionnaire,

My group has adopted a "host your game" philosophy which works really well with skirmish games.  If one of us likes a game or genre enough we take sole responsibility for hosting it - providing all the terrain/rules/miniatures.  If others players like it enough they are encouraged to buy some minis, or even terrain etc. (if they really like it!).

It's expensive for the hosting player, but it keeps from developing a Warhammer style issue where everyone has to invest tons of money just to play a simple game.  For instance, I have a full Old West set-up and a couple of friends just have 10-12 models to represent their posses/gangs when we play.

However, I also have enough models to cover 3-4 posses/gangs.  It seems to work well so far, as it's always hard to get more than a couple people who really like one genre ---- yet everyone in the group would of course love to play a fully fleshed out game.

Most players don't feel too bad about buying up a dozen models to play...as long as you bring the goods for them to play on! lol

I have been struggling to get people interested in playing "my" games down at the club, but I believe that my recent MDF-purchases have managed to sway people my way. And I don't mind putting up the terrain/ minis for people to have a game with, after all, the reason why I play is to have fun!

Thanks to all of you, I spent the better part of the past 5 days building my Western Town from scratch, and I don't even have figures for it yet.  I'm thinking of naming it Purgatory, just can't decide what state to place it in.

I wish I had 5 days to spend on the hobby  lol.
How about Montana FifteensAway?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:56 AM »
Nick,

I don't know if I'd go with the FifteensAway state.  No one else will "get it", I fear.  (But thanks, Legionnaire, for the nod.)  However, Purgatory can be placed in several states (or territories) and be immediately believable (and probably 19 out of 20 people won't know it isn't a real place, even in the actual western state).  I'd say any of these states: Colorado (they have a resort so named), Arizona, Utah, or California.  It is often forgotten that the first real Wild West state was California -- and it all started with the gold rush of 1849.  I am struggling with the same issue of where to place my fictional county (still not revealing the name until I finish the courthouse with the name on it - you will all be jealous, just wait and see).

Legionnaire,

Worry less about getting people advance interested in a game and just show up ready to play with something that looks cool and you'll get players.  Always seems to work that way.

And for all, stay tuned for when my The Whole Wild West, All At Once game hits the convention circuit here in California.  It's still a long ways out because it is so huge but it will be cool.  Recruiting people to help put it together, so far there are four of us.  And, no, Legionnaire, you can't have my buildings but you can come on over and play with us if you are in the area.   :)

Curmudgeon in Chief

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
Payday tomorrow, so here is a short "I want" list:

- 1 large MDF building (watched the first seasons of Deadwood so I was thinking something like The Gem...)

- 1 Scaffold (Sarissa/ Battle Flag?)

- 1 set of Dead Man's Hand (haven't decided on if I shall buy any of the gangs as well, have quite a few minis and I thought I'd buy some Artizan and maybe the Blue Moon Manufacturing Tombstone Civilians.)

- Probably walls and the 4Ground Thunderboxes set.

Roll on tomorrow...

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
That's a mighty fine town you have there Legionnaire!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »
That's a mighty fine town you have there Legionnaire!

Cheers Groove51, and I plan on getting a few more buildings, but unfortunately that's not going to happen this month  :-[. There was a cock-up with my bank shifts, and I may not being paid for them until next month!!!

So my hobby expense this month is only going to be Dead Man's Hand (which I've ordered today...)

And I wanted a hotel  :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Been a looong time since an update, been very busy since I became a qualified TA (Theatre Assistant, surgery) at the end of April, single parenthood and starting to play music with some friends again  :). Finally had the time (and energy) to paint up the four civilians from 1st Corp, a bartender, two saloon girls and a doctor.

Below is a comparison shot with a Black Scorpion "fatty", a Reaper Not-Josey Wales and an Artizan gunhand.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
Looking good - what's with the leaning girl?  Is she supposed to be leaning over something? (railing, piano, patron?).

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
Looking good - what's with the leaning girl?  Is she supposed to be leaning over something? (railing, piano, patron?).

It's the way she's sculpted, in the picture on the company page she's dangling over a railing, but maybe I was drunk when I based her.  lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
A man with a clown icon, Theater Assistant, and surgery.  Now that conjures up one hell of an image in my mind.   lol

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 12:27:45 AM »
A man with a clown icon, Theater Assistant, and surgery.  Now that conjures up one hell of an image in my mind.   lol

What can I say? I'm a man of many talents  lol.