Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Choshu War of the Mid-1860s  (Read 2337 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
The Choshu War of the Mid-1860s
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »
I have been toying with Colonial in 28mm for a while, as you do....  I looked at The Zulu and Sudan wars, before realising that the figures would A) Cost a lot of money and B) never get painted this decade. 

So, I had recently read the Foundry Book on this period and realised that I had an ACW army and a Samurai army that could be used in this war.  The US, in all honesty, only played only a small part, the ACW was in full flow and the British, French and Dutch were key players, but, putting history aside, is it do-able?  Certainly the Japanese armies were in a state of limbo at the time, the old and the new were mingling, so I could get away with the 17th C figures at a pinch.  I hasten to add that this is some years before the events of The Last Samurai and, contrary to the film, arms and equipment were more advanced on both sides.

Thoughts?

Anyone else done this?

If it works, then I get a colonial period to play with no cost.  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Choshu War of the Mid-1860s
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »
There would be very few 16th-17th cen armoured figures that you could use as the Shogunate and the opposing clans had already started to adopt uniforms of differing types.

You could at a push get away with using some ACW troops with head swaps or possibly French of the same period.

If you're not too bother about historical accuracy then go for it  :D

The figures coming out from Bac Ninh Miniatures are for the Boshin war but will certainly do for the vast majority of what you're thinking.

There's not that much info available on the seperate clans but the general consensus is that a daimyo would pay for his own clan outfitting using/copying western styles and weapons etc.

Just go for it and see what happens  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »
Thanks, James, will look out for these figures. In all reality, how often do gamers use the figures they have for a game? If I can pit US against Samurai with the scenery I have, it will be a Colonial period on the cheap, especially if I buy a few more modern Japanese to give a flavour......

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
I remember reading about about Lord off of on of the out lying islands, who was practicing piracy against foreign ships. And I think A confederate corvette was credited with sinking his fleet.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:32 AM »
The Bac Ninh figures look good, I also see from their site how close to ACW uniforms they are.  Does anyone make Jinghasas that could replace the kepi on the Perry plastics?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
The Bac Ninh figures look good, I also see from their site how close to ACW uniforms they are.  Does anyone make Jinghasas that could replace the kepi on the Perry plastics?

You could try the 'dreaded' Wargames Factory ashigaru for the head swaps but I'm afraid they will be too big. I tried with some metal Perry ashigaru head swaps onto their plastic ACW and the match wasn't good  :?

The other problem is the style of jingasa, everyone knows the flatten type but the more conical was quite popular along with the 'folded' version.

If you're happy about the accuracy just to play the game then go for it :D

I'm going to wait for Bac Ninh to bring them all out  lol

cheers

James

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
Yes, I think I will wait and get a couple of units of their troops and then make the rest of the army up from my Samurai, just so that it looks more 19thC..... Any news on the range?  :P