Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brink of Battle nominated for an Origin Award!  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Brink of Battle nominated for an Origin Award!
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
Wow! To my surprise and delight, we got nominated for Best Historical Miniatures Rules!

You can read about it here http://gama.org/OriginsAwards/tabid/2720/Default.aspx
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Brink of Battle nominated for an Origin Award!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
Well done rules look interesting.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
Congratulations Faust!! You deserve all the accolades heaped upon you for these awesome rules.

Cheers,
 Damien

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Congratulations Faust!! You deserve all the accolades heaped upon you for these awesome rules.

Cheers,
 Damien

Thanks bro!  Hey, when are you moving down here to California?  :o  lol

We need to consolidate BoB supporters to my compound.   ;)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:01:59 AM »
Is this compound a Armageddon/doomsday prepper type thing 'cause I am there! We could play post apocalypse games all day (you are coming out with a supplement aren't you) lol

Who knows maybe I'll come and visit one day,
 Damien

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »
Is this compound a Armageddon/doomsday prepper type thing 'cause I am there! We could play post apocalypse games all day (you are coming out with a supplement aren't you) lol

Who knows maybe I'll come and visit one day,
 Damien

I'm building an orbital platform instead of a bunker. Only way to be sure..... lol

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
I just had a look at the sample on wargames vault. Mr Faust, your forward (ha and you thought no one would read it!  :D ) should be the mantra of game design. I agree with everything you said regarding how a wargame should be. After reading that I understand exactly why you are up for the award of awards. In fact I am so impressed with your clarity of thought you just scored a sale.

May I be so bold as to ask a few quick questions. I pay by echeque which means I will have to wait 2 days for the money to go into paypal.

I take it the rules can handle PA gaming or low/mid tech sci fi or could do so at a pinch with a few house rules?

If I wanted to do something like trojan wars skirmishing with 'super hero' Heros ala the iliad. How would that work in your system? Chariots? Shield walls?

Would it be possible to do ahistorical matchups. For example something like amazon indians vs illegal loggers. One side has stone age weapons and the other modern firearms?

I realise lots of this may be well outside what you were designing for being a historical ruleset but I would love to be able to have a universal ruleset that handles all the sort of weird games i come up with.

Thanks for your kind words and your business Scurv!  Let me tackle your questions one at a time.

It looks like your echeck went through. I just saw another sale notification from WV so I'm assuming that's yours.

The rules are great for PA gaming.  I had suggested to Prof. Witcheimer that they would work beautifully for the LAF PA figs, but he was already underway with the SBH variant.   :D 

We have two current releases that are free which will give you more of the sci-fantasy PA type of game.  First is the Sci-Fi Gear download from our website at www.brinkofbattle.com  and can be found in the Downloads tab.

The second component is the free Epic Heroes 'ashcan' pdf from Wargame Vault.  That will give you a hint at some of the Traits and Gear we will have in the finished product releasing around June.

You can either play the PA stuff more realistically with the current main rules, or you can add the Sci-Fi & Fantasy bits to make it more akin to Gamma World, etc.

The Iliad stuff you want to run sounds more akin to using the Epic Heroes supplement.  In the final version, players will first pick their Legend Level.  This is the 'power' level, or gradient if you will indicating how High or Low the Fantasy elements are in your games.  So, for Trojan Wars/Iliad type stuff, using the Heroic Legend would be perfect.  That's the lowest 'level' and gives the Hyperborian, Greek Epic, 300 level of fiction/flavor without having Gandalf running around on the back of a Balrog.  lol

As for a-historical matchups, you will find that the Gear costs are secretly balanced to allow for this, even though presented as a defined period type of ruleset.  There will always be some 'fuzzy' areas between periods, so I decided to reflect some balance by having firearms and such cost a pinch more, even though they are priced primarily relative to their frequency of use in their specific period.  When in doubt, reduce the price of the gear from previous periods to reflect their greater availability.

Chariots and such will have to wait until I'm happy with the mechanics I've sketched out for the Vehicles book.  Shieldwalls are already reflected by the Shieldwall Trait.  Though at first blush, you might not feel that it is the same as a group moving forward with their shields up, once the Turn has ended and your guys are snug in their position, it works out very well. 

As to the last sentence in your post, I wrote this to establish myself in the Historical gamer community first to create a 'baseline' of what the Human soldier can do.  From here, I can jump to the sci-fi and fantasy genres and build around the Playable Realism that I set up with the historical rules.  So, yes, it will be able to handle whatever you can creatively throw at it!  lol

Prof Witcheimer told me that if BoB gets enough popularity here on LAF, that we'll get a dedicated Child Board.  Until that time, I've set up the "Official" BoB discussion thread for all manner of questions here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39468.0

If you are on Facebook, you can friend 'Bob Faust' and I will add you to the group.  We kick different ideas around and also show what we have going on for projects etc.

Finally, if you go to the Downloads section at www.brinkofbattle.com you can download the Playsheet, Force Rosters, Gear and Trait Tables, and Sci-Fi Gear materials for free. 

We're very glad to have you aboard!

Noch Weiter!

Bob

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:42:57 AM »
I bought the bundle.

Having had a very quick look through I like what I see alot.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:31:21 AM »
TBH its very well laid out with lots of examples of play. Its a clear and coherent document.

There is only ONE thing I would suggest. Nothing to do with the rules themselves either. That is a few nice illos in the rules. I love the silhouette chaps and I think they are quite stunning in their simplicity but it would of been nice to see a few battle scenes in there to fire up the imagination even more. (the rules themselves start suggesting great games that BoB can cover but some illos are always good for art tarts like me.)

Thanks for your feedback Scurv.  I hear you loud and clear on the art part.  It was a command decision I had to make for the main rules that wasn't easy, believe me.  We were up to over 55K words and at 139 pages, I opted to make it 100% useable rules, and leave the art for future supplements.

That being said, in a future edition or such we might add some.  My main goal was to have a core set of rules that would create the foundation for supplements of historical or fictional genres.  These would be full color, with gobs of pictures and artwork and 'fluff' or historical accounts.   :)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »
One thing I hate is when the background is set in stone and it's imagineering is worse than my own imagination. Yes Battletech I'm pointing at you!   

I know exactly what you mean.  I want Epic Heroes and all other genre supplements to have the In My Traveller Universe effect. You get customer buy in by allowing them to tweak your backdrop, without stifling their creativity.

Offline GWRoberts

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 04:46:46 AM »
exactly.  :D Traveller did it really well.

And Traveller5 is doing it, once again, with the core rulebook.

Very, very little fluffy background.

Lots and lots of rules.

Some folks are already whining about how Marc Miller has ruined Traveller! :o

I'm thrilled with it! No more "official" universe! Let's do this thing, Bob!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »
The fantasy supps artwork is sweet though.   

I'll let Alan and Gib know.  They are working on some great stuff for the book.