Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Project in mind - post Martian Invasion Britain  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Project in mind - post Martian Invasion Britain
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
Even though I havent had much time to go near the hobby lately it hasn't stopped my brain cooking up ideas.

I'm thinking about starting a project set in post War of the Worlds Britain.
The Martians are dead and gone but only after they have laid waste to most of Europe (they lasted a few months rather than a few weeks in my setting) so it will be factions or individuals roaming the ruined landscape/cities and seizing or defending territory, food, provisions etc............. There's oodles of possibilities for factions and characters.

So basically the usual post apocalyptic setting but in Victorian style  ;).

Terrain wont be a problem as I can use my current builds along with some ruins and a generous sprinkling of Red Weed (in my setting it survives longer than just a few weeks too). I dont think I'm going to have a problem with rules either.

Where I could do with help is figures. Any input on what figures you think I can use for this type of setting would be appreciated? I want to try and steer away from anything too steampunk as the games will be set within a year or two of the invasion and before alternate history really takes off.

Cheers.
TC   

Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Project in mind - post Martian Invasion Britain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »
Some of the new IHMN British faction would be a good start - the mix of military, civilian and mad science uniforms and equipment would fit in perfectly with a Victorian post-apocalypse setting.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »
To be fair, the Martians do a good job of wiping people out in a few weeks :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Bigcountry

• Student
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
You could always set it a few years after the Martians have dies off and have various nations struggling covertly to gather as much of the remaining working Martian technology as possible. Wells never talked about what kind of things the Martians left behind in their cylinders.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:50:42 AM »
You could always set it a few years after the Martians have dies off and have various nations struggling covertly to gather as much of the remaining working Martian technology as possible. Wells never talked about what kind of things the Martians left behind in their cylinders.

He didn't but there is a wonderfully tantalising peice right at the end that could open up a whole host of opportunities  :D

But yeah, Mars first dear boy, Mars first  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
Even though I havent had much time to go near the hobby lately it hasn't stopped my brain cooking up ideas.

I'm thinking about starting a project set in post War of the Worlds Britain.
The Martians are dead and gone but only after they have laid waste to most of Europe (they lasted a few months rather than a few weeks in my setting) so it will be factions or individuals roaming the ruined landscape/cities and seizing or defending territory, food, provisions etc............. There's oodles of possibilities for factions and characters.

So basically the usual post apocalyptic setting but in Victorian style  ;).

Terrain wont be a problem as I can use my current builds along with some ruins and a generous sprinkling of Red Weed (in my setting it survives longer than just a few weeks too). I dont think I'm going to have a problem with rules either.

Where I could do with help is figures. Any input on what figures you think I can use for this type of setting would be appreciated? I want to try and steer away from anything too steampunk as the games will be set within a year or two of the invasion and before alternate history really takes off.

Cheers.
TC   

Victorian post-apocalypse!

Great idea!!

:D
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
Victorian post-apocalypse!

Great idea!!

:D

As long as it doesn't involve Zombies ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

Agreed - lets keep this real. :D

Blodwin

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »

Oh Gawd, dear lad, we had the same terrible vision!  :o

Not that I'll be surprised when we see the post.  ;)

Post invasion herds of human 'cattle' might fit the bill, without actually calling them such.

Doug

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
Agreed - lets keep this real. :D

So Martians are in then  :D

cheers

James

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Bullshott, I've already got my eye on a few of those gems. Cheers though.

Dewbakuk, they did indeed but it was confined to the south east so I've given them a bit longer to spread the devastation (sounds ghastly really).

Bigcountry, I gave that idea a thought but I want to keep it simple(ish) for now. If I keep it to just after the Martian's demise then it'll be more chaotic and less ordered. Mind you, with Europe in turmoil it'll only be a matter of time before Uncle Sam pops over the pond to have a poke about as around that time the U.S was just starting to flex it's muscles on the world stage anyway. Same could be said for a few other nations too. It's certainly something I'll consider in the future once I've got the project up and running.

Aint going to happen sunshine, there is absolutely no place for them in this project. It's Victorian post apocalyptic fisticuffs between humans ......... the Martians might pop back later but again that's waaaaaay off in the distance. 

So, any ideas on figures chaps?

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
The Lord Curr figures were already mentioned. The Perry's Mafeking figures would do nicely for armed militia's.

There are any number of Celtic tribesmen models that could be used for the Salopian hordes that rapidly convert to barbarism.  lol

former user

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Without having really an insight into what You are intending, imagining a victorian post apocalypse looks for me like any kind of colonial miniatures after a rough campaign plus basically any kind of frontier population from the Old West.
I Don't remember how "War of the Worlds" treated the less "civilized" or less densely populated regions of earth, but I would expect them to be less affected because of lacking infrastructure and/or less "offer" in human cattle.

I would expect Canadians or Australians to come back to Britain to reinstall the administration (28 weeks later scenario minus zombies)

my view so far

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
America got hit too remember, at least on the East Coast :)

Figure suggestions would mostly be what you already have/know about to be honest. Westwind for street gang type figures, Lord Currs company, troops from the colonies, big game hunter types etc. The British South Africa Company figures by Northstar could be a good start for well armed types, a simple head/hat swap changes their location instantly as they just become guys in jackets or shirts.

Also, there are a couple of Iron Kingdoms rpg figures that might work. I have them put aside to make a VSF/Steampunk Firefly style crew at some point.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »
There are any number of Celtic tribesmen models that could be used for the Salopian hordes that rapidly convert to barbarism.  lol

That's been going on for years.  lol

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.