Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 699
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley at RECRUITs  (Read 6285 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Pulp Alley at RECRUITs
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »
Pics were taking moments before I yelled "get your drinks off the table!".

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
Whoa - that is a really good table

minis are great too

it must be fantastic playing on scenery like that :o
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
A really great board.  Beautiful stuff.  I really liked the rocket pack on the ground; at first glance I thought it was diver's gear.  Very nice.  Please tell me how it was done.  Thank you.  Richard

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
Just an old GW space marine jetpack out of the bits box. Metal washer, cork "rock" & jetpack. Nothing to it.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Looks amazing ...

So an 8 player game with 5 or so figures on each side?

How long did it take to play?

Did you alter any of the standard rules to make it work better? I can't get my head around moving one figure from your force at a time with a game that big, it sounds a bit disjointed?

Did you have any encounters (monsters/wild animals) and if so, how did they fit into the rounds/activation?

(I'm looking at a 4 player game which is as much versus the environment as each other and trying to figure out how it will work)
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
Great looking game and encouraging to see all the younger gamers. It reminds me of the encouragement I got from older gamers when I was a young punk in the 70s who had read a couple of Featherstone books and was intrigued. 40 years later.... hope that happens with them too.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
Excellent job.  Thank you.  Richard

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
So an 8 player game with 5 or so figures on each side? How long did it take to play?

I got to see several turns on Friday, and I think that was the 7-player game. Just guessing, but I think they probably played for about 4 hours.

Did you alter any of the standard rules to make it work better? I can't get my head around moving one figure from your force at a time with a game that big, it sounds a bit disjointed?

As far as I could tell, it was straight Pulp Alley mechanics. I think there were a few factors that really held it together --
1. The Pulp Alley mechaincs are designed to play fast, so they didn't get bogged down.
2. The player with Initiative (whoever it happened to be at the moment) really helps to keep the game moving by almost acting as a mini-GM.
3. Most importantly, Jaye is a seasoned veteran of BIG table games and plays with 6-8 players on an almost weekly basis. The extra work he did before the game, laying out the backgrounds and goals for each league, really helped hold everything together.

Did you have any encounters (monsters/wild animals) and if so, how did they fit into the rounds/activation?

This sort of stuff easily fits into the turn sequence as Perils, either from the Fortune Cards or pre-planned -- which is how he handled the big monster on top of the mountain.

I'm looking at a 4 player game which is as much versus the environment as each other and trying to figure out how it will work.

The peril and plot point mechanics in Pulp Alley are intended to cover environmental dangers and encounters. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Dave
Pulp Alley

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Friday was 7 players, Saturday 8. All were done in the 3 hour allotment by players who had never played the game, and few who had never wargamed. A testament to how great the rules are.
RECRUITs is special kind of con. As the name suggests, it is geared toward bringing new (younger) players into the hobby.
-J

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
Thanks for the response. :)

I'm not sure how the perils are used in place of an encounter ... I see how they work, but some locations will have a creature and the idea is that Combat will ensue rather than a test.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
You can model it however you want to suit your taste. You want it more to be a major encounter that the characters must fight? Give the creature stats. Want it just to be a peril (pit of snakes) do it that way.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
If it's an encounter then i guess i just play it as another player controlled by me? For initiative then every player will nominate the creature "faction" to go first? I guess that's not a bad thing; I need to play test a bit.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »
If it's an encounter then i guess i just play it as another player controlled by me? For initiative then every player will nominate the creature "faction" to go first? I guess that's not a bad thing; I need to play test a bit.

In our upcoming Perilous Island campaign book, we handle encounters both ways -- just depending on the scenario/situation.

Resolving an encounter as a peril works really nice for quick and/or less-violent stuff. For example, maybe you have a character encounter a bouncer as he tries to make his way back-stage at a nightclub.

And in one of the Perilous Island scenarios, involving living-dead, some encounters start out as perils -- and if the challenge is failed, then a model is placed on the table.

Ssendam, your idea of running the encounters as a GM controlled 'league' also works very well. FYI --- in non-GM'd games, we usually activate the non-league characters at the end of Action Sequence, after all other characters have activated.

There are lots of ways to do this and none of them are wrong. Its just a matter of picking what works best for your players and the scenario at hand.

HAVE FUN

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 03:54:05 AM »
Looks like a really fun game. The additional pictures on the Baron's blog for the Pulp Alley leagues are fantastic. So for that matter are the other campaigns.

Will the upcoming campaign book include the set up (leagues and plot points) that the Baron ran? That looks like it would make a great introduction to the game.  I just received my copy in the mail, so I am still working my way through what is included.

Thanks,
Tom
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »
I'm not affiliated with the game. Just ran one.
-J