Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: stripping paint in seconds... really!  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... IīM power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
Re: stripping paint in seconds... really!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »
Mindenbrush you donīt put in a container, you have to brush directly on the mini. Just wet the toothbrush on the cleaner and start brushing the mini. Try that way and you will see that It works just fine. Donīt be lazy brother! lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:05:54 AM by Diceplague »
"Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas."
http://diceplague.blogspot.com.br

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »
Edit: oh, waitaminnit... the W&N site also has this, squirrelled away.

Picked up a bottle today.  I'll try it tomorrow, fingers crossed.  I have a lot of minis in dire need of a good stripping.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
I'm getting some mixed signals from this stuff.  I'm not entirely sure it's the same thing that Diceplague has.

I tried it on five second-hand minis.  After giving them all a good scrub, a few flakes of yellow paint started coming off one of them.  Though I don't know if it's because they weren't varnished and I was attacking them with toothbrush and fingernails.

Then I tried one I'd painted myself - primed with black gesso, given a few patches of colour with Coat D'arms silver and a couple of GW foundation paints.  The silver started coming off after a minute or so and the gesso after that.  The foundation paints are still stubbonly clinging on, though there are one or two signs they're weakening.  So... yeah.  It's working, to some extent, but I think I'll try soaking with it next, when I can scare up a suitable container.

Also, I'm getting a whiff off the stuff.  Not exactly like dettol/pine disinfectant (definitely not as strong anyway) but similar.  It also foams up fairly readily when I start scrubbing.  Does any of that sound familiar, Diceplague?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Overnight soak: this is definitely weaker stuff than the american version.  Paint is coming off, but no better than some of the other lacklustre strippers I've tried.  Still patches clinging on, especially around recesses.  The paint layer seems to be loosened rather than dissolved or melted, and a bit of gentle prodding with a thumbnail persuades it to move on more easily than vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush.  Though I'm going to leave the half-stripped minis in for another night, and get a stiffer-bristled toothbrush tomorrow.

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
I have purchased this product today to try it out on some figures that really need a fresh start. I purchased the 4 oz bottle with the black print on the container and not the one I seen on ebay that is printed with the red labeling on the container ( the Micheals I puchased this item from did not have the red labeled item), I had contemplated the red printed one and opted to hold off untill a visit to Micheals Arts and Crafts in hopes of obtaining the same item that is mentioned here for my own analysis, after reading about the different cleaners on other continents concearning this product and its different performances and for the most part just wanted to leave it alone. If the US version is stronger and only available in the US, than this is the same as described by the OP...... I am only sure of one of the two and that this has performed as decribed, yes its available in the US, the one as discribed by the OP ( US black labeled) is one in the same and was shocked on its performance, I poured vary little in a metal container used for measuring cooking spices ( used for hobby) purposes only and with the 28mm horse in one hand and armed with an old tooth brush dipped the brush in this product and proceded to rub the figure with the brush and the old paint was just literally running from the figure as fast as gravity could take it. The 4oz bottle was on the shelf for $7.99 and a larger bottle that was of course next to the smaller was priced at $ 17.00 and for the life of me can not remember the size, but it was a very large bottle and struck me as what will I do with all of this if purchased and it does not work as well as anticipated, but after giving it a go, I will definately purchase the larger bottle on the return trip ( should last a lifetime). I am not in the habiit of removing paint from my figures but after a recent ebay purchase of high end quality figures with not so good paint on them............. well, you can connect the dots.... and another good point about this product is that it is bio degradable and you can perform this in less than one minute per figure in the comfort of your paint station without damage to your brain cells or anyone elses..

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... IīM power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
was shocked on its performance, I poured vary little in a metal container used for measuring cooking spices ( used for hobby) purposes only and with the 28mm horse in one hand and armed with an old tooth brush dipped the brush in this product and proceded to rub the figure with the brush and the old paint was just literally running from the figure as fast as gravity could take it.

Hi Jim! Thanks for posting your experience. Like I said I was mesmerized to see how easy and fast is to strip paint with the brush cleaner especially when I have tried all the dangerous and slow process that we can see in some tutorials on the net. I hope that in sharing our experience we can help some fellow gamers.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
A slight tangent here, but since we're talking...

Frustrated with the Blighty brush cleaner, I bought a bottle of Fairy power spray.  I've seen people recommend it for stripping minis, but never got around to using it. (Dettol disappointment had something to do with that)  I poured some into a jar and dunked a couple of minis in it.

Wow.  :o

The paint on the minis - some old '80's minis among them - started to wrinkle up and lift away within five minutes.  Brushed off very easily.  A few stubborn bits clung to the recesses, as usual, but an extra soak and a pin took care of that.  It's the best paint stripper I've tried.  Even started to lift primer after a while, which isn't something I'd expect of other plastic-friendly products.