Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black Army Productions - Stanley Steamtank (New Release!)  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Mina

• Assistant
Black Army Productions - Stanley Steamtank (New Release!)
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:50:04 AM »
Hello all -

Yes, Black Army Productions is still here, and we're very happy to announce the release of our first new vehicle in 2 years!  The "Longhorn" Stanley Steam Tank, built by the US Army Corps of Engineers in 1918 and sent to the Western Front... just in time for the armistice!  Model sculpted by Tony Harwood.

Just so you have a sense of the HUGE size of this thing, here is a picture of (left to right) a Whippet, a Mark IV, an A7V, and an unpainted Steam Tank:

Please check out the Steam Tank (along with our other Interwar vehicles, Pulp and Post-Apocalyptic miniatures, and our new Flying Tackle fantasy football minis range), at our new website: www.blackarmyproductions.com.

We're also (finally!) on Facebook & would love some more "likes": https://www.facebook.com/BlackArmyProductions

I realize it's been a while since Doc Twilight or I have posted here, but we have been busily trying to get the website up (which was supposed to happen last April but took until October, and we only recently got all the kinks out in terms of notifications, discount capabilities etc.)  But I'm happy to be back on the forums! :)

- Mina
Black Army Productions
www.blackarmyproductions.com
28mm Pulp, Interwar & Post-Apocalyptic Miniatures & Vehicles
28mm Fantasy Football Miniatures
Check out 1933: A Nation Divided, now on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926752146/1933-a-nation-divided

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Black Army Productions - Stanley Steamtank (New Release!)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
Would look great leading my Silver shirts in there march to victory :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mina

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »
Yes - It led my Silvershirts this past weekend!  :) 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
For Lindy! and the American way!  :D

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
Info says, "The flame thrower nozzle was moved to a rotating turret on the roof of the cabin."

Did you find photos that show this so I can fabricate it? (I cannot find a photo.)

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
How much does the model weigh, Mina? I'm thinking that postage to Oz is going to be horrific.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
How about a British Flying Elephant next?   :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Elephant

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
Info says, "The flame thrower nozzle was moved to a rotating turret on the roof of the cabin."

Did you find photos that show this so I can fabricate it? (I cannot find a photo.)

I cannot find any proof that this was actually done. The photos I've seen from France (all one of them) show the flat roofed prototype. So, I'm in the same boat, actually. If anybody can find photographic evidence that this was actually done, I can see about getting an add-on kit made for the option, or at least try to find a way to convert it.

Edit:

Just gone over my research notes again, and for what it's worth...

My very strong suspicion is that this was actually never done; it may be a misinterpretation of the information regarding the actual design, since the flamethrower nozzle was mounted on a "pod mount" and could be aimed. One also wonders what tactical utility would be gained by mounting the flamethrower that high on the vehicle.

-Alex
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:25:06 PM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
How about a British Flying Elephant next?   :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Elephant

On my list of things I'd very much like to do:)

'Adder -

Hiya, Rex.

We're working on that bit. I'll try to get a weight and Mina or I can calculate the shipping. It may not be as bad as you'd think if you're willing to go for First Class, which is generally less expensive than some of the other options, but has a variable delivery time.

Edit:

Looks like it really depends upon the weight. I think these will come in at just around a pound, but won't be able to confirm until I can get to a scale later today.

-Alex
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:21:31 PM by Doc Twilight »

former user

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »
nice product

have found this interesting blog, in case someone doesn't know it
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/05/strangest-tanks-in-history-part-2-first.html

scratchbuild fodder for the rest of Your VBCW-life

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
Good to see that you're still with us, Mina & Alex :)

I'm looking forward what BAP is up to in the future  :)
per aspera ad astra

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
Great to see you back, Alex.

Hauptgefreiter and I used to wander through the echoing halls of the old site in the hope we'd find you hiding behind a pillar somewhere.

This is a great looking project.

Will any of the older ranges still be available?

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
Oh, they're all still available though, truth be told, I'd like to get some of the Shanghai stuff resculpted. You can find everything on the newly updated site. Fair warning - we are low in stock on a few items, but shouldn't be a problem to get you most of what you'd want/need.

It's good to see you all again. I've been very busy with board game design and trying to get this 1933 book ready for Kickstarter, but definitely very much alive:) Feel free to stop by the Facebook page(s) and join up. I'm very active there.

UPDATE:

Have just weighed a Stanley. Weight appears to be 14.4 ounces, so under a pound, according to USPS.

-Alex

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:02:48 AM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »
nice product

have found this interesting blog, in case someone doesn't know it
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/05/strangest-tanks-in-history-part-2-first.html

scratchbuild fodder for the rest of Your VBCW-life

Thanks, former user.

That's an awesome link too, thank you:)

-Alex

Offline Mina

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:45 AM »
How much does the model weigh, Mina? I'm thinking that postage to Oz is going to be horrific.

I think you may have seen Alex's post that the Steam Tank weighs 14.4 ounces.  I input 15 ounces (to allow for packaging) into the US Post rate calculator, and got $16.75 for First Class Mail to Australia (same for Germany and the UK) with a note that it may vary by location within the country.  I believe they take boxes up to 12x12x12 inches for International First Class, so this should be close to the actual rate given the weight of the thing.

FYI our web developer could only set up the shipping module to work on a flat rate basis.  So, our shipping policy on the website (www.blackarmyproductions.com - click on the link for "Shipping" at the bottom) shows the flat rates that will apply, based as closely on actual shipping rates as possible.  It's easier to estimate US shipping, but for International shipping, we have programmed in a base rate of $24 for orders from $1-100, increasing slightly from there.  We did that because $24 is the cost of a Small Priority Flat Rate box, and is also the cost of an average First Class Mail order. (International customers tend to order multiple items for an average weight of roughly 2 pounds).  But because we realize that, depending on what's ordered, the cost may either go way under or way over.... We're going to do this: if there's more than a $3 differential in your favor - actual shipping cost of less than $21 - we'll refund you the difference.  If on the other hand, shipping turns out to be $5 or more than the online rate, we will contact you to figure out what method & cost will work for you.  We hope you'll find this reasonable as it's difficult to set rates across the board in absence of a system that will automatically calculate cost based on weight of each product, which we weren't able to get with our current website.

Hope that explanation helps!  

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:43:53 PM by Mina »