Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ghosts of Hefei Funded! get in while you can.  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Ghosts of Hefei Free Printable Cyberpunk Signs Posted.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
ouch!  lol

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
Nice... very Blade Runner.

"Signs were created with Google Translate and may be wildly inaccurate"... hey, turnabout is fair play: Asians butcher English so often.  Maybe if we all make embarrassing mistakes in each others' languages and just laugh about it, it'll all be okay :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
Is this gonna make funding? Seems a steep climb for the last few days.

Great shame if it doesn't.  Come on 15mm heads man up!!! :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline HRE Joseph III

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
We have a last minute addition to our figure selection. These can be mixed and matched with other figure selections. These are 28mm, (sorry 15mm guys)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1931671462/ghosts-of-hefei-tabletop-near-future-gang-warfare/posts/466047

Are these exclusively for Hefei? No, but they are great for players wanting to portray the Hefei police. The drone in particular will be a great unit in the game, extending hackers' areas of coverage and providing an eye in the sky for the Hefei PD.

So now we have 16 figures in each scale to choose from!

Holy Roman Emperor Joseph III
Rex Germanorum

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
Re: Ghosts of Hefei reaches 50% funded with 15 days to go.
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »
I don't want to get off topic too much, but what's odd to me, is that you state that it's a company's obligation to convince you to buy their product, but then you go on to say that you don't really buy any products, you prefer to make it all yourself. I think at it's core, that's what we're all doing, but it's nice to have a jump-off point. Look at the number of people who are taking someone else's IP and running with it in the miniatures realm. This board is filled with those sorts of things

I've pledged to this Kickstarter already, and I hope other people will do so as well in the last few days, so that another small company has a shot at getting their foot in the door in a small, niche market.

If you're just complaining about crowdfunding, and then saying only 3 games were good enough to enjoy your support, then make a game that's better, and let's see it. If you're that good of a world builder, I'd love to see your output, and if it's good, I'd offer you my support through buying your products.

Allow me to respectfully disagree with you:

1) "... it makes sense to pledge if you like the general concept and the greens..."

Actually no.  I have been playing (not counting toy soldiers since the 1950s) table top miniature war games since the 1970s and I am at the point where I am preparing for retirement (reducing miniatures/games) by focusing on what meets my goals for the remaining (hopefully) 20 plus years of living.

2) "... you'd spend more than that on a single box set..."  

The number of times I have bought a boxed set was once for the Halo Terrain.  Regretted it afterwards.  I am not a "corporate kid" for pretty much anything in my life but especially not war games.  Built all my own worlds for OD&D type thing.  I buy to fill niches and develop settings.

3) "...when you look at the 2 million dollar plus kickstarters that are just using it as a shopping cart for recycled ideas, vs the small guys who really need and deserve your support to get off the ground, it's clear where you should be putting your money..."  

Hell, no, it isn't.  I should put my money where my interests are - unrepentant free market capitalist that I am, I should only buy what fits  my interests and artistic preferences.

4)  "... smaller companies with good ideas can really use your support, especially in the age of the mege-kickstarter, and a difficulty getting e-sales outside of that web site...."  

I haven't seen more than three that have inspired my money so far.  And at least one of those would probably fir your idea of "recycled ideas" but it put several wants into one "buy-in" amount of money.

If they can't sell the idea they don't deserve my money.

Gracias,

Glenn

post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Is this gonna make funding? Seems a steep climb for the last few days
Kicktraq prediction still says "no" so the steep climb isn't steep enough... But there's of course still a bit over two nycthemerons to go.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Ghosts of Hefei 28mm Havok Protocal added to figure selection!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:07 AM »
One last push and we can do it, folks! 
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
Its there by $36.

Offline HRE Joseph III

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
We're funded! get in while you can. lots of miniature goodness on offer!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
I don't want to get off topic too much, but what's odd to me, is that you state that it's a company's obligation to convince you to buy their product, but then you go on to say that you don't really buy any products, you prefer to make it all yourself. I think at it's core, that's what we're all doing, but it's nice to have a jump-off point. Look at the number of people who are taking someone else's IP and running with it in the miniatures realm. This board is filled with those sorts of things

Well, you have started down that path so I will reply.

The facts are that as a miniatures gamer since the early to mid 1970's I have a lot (truly too many) figures for all the eras/genres I play and yet have areas,eras, niches where the I see unfulfilled gaps.  If I was new to the hobby it might be different because I (foolishly in my youth) bought stuff just because it looked "neat" and I have many miniatures I will never use in a game and now have on my shelves to remind me to focus.  Since I game, not collect or paint, this means one of the tasks I want to get done before 2016 is disposing (sell, trade, trash,) of the miniatures I have that are not "core" to what I will be move when I retire and play in retirement. 

That would be Spanish and American Historical (about 1680 to 1914, maybe 1938,) battles, Science Fiction not Science Fantasy battles and skirmishes, and "traditional" (Dwarf, Goblin, Gnome, Elf,etc.,) Fantasy battles/skirmishes/FRPG.  If it fits in those categories and the company convinces me it complements or supplements my goals in gaming then I would (still do) buy the figures. Many (most?) of the figures being produced may be wonderfu,l (it's very subjective IMO what determines appeal,) but I have no desire to buy something that I am not going to use.  And I am not going to say something is wonderful when it is okay at best.

"you prefer to make it all yourself."  I don't think I said that, so that is either a misquote or a paraphrase.

I don't make the miniatures.  Doing anything to turn a hobby (miniatures, jewelry,) into a vocation would ruin it for me.  I see that in 100% of the cases where I know someone who did that.  I do insist the miniature meet my wants, "needs," goals, or desires before I put my money down.  To do otherwise seems a waste of capital.

I make up the (non-historical) worlds, scenarios, countries, etc., because I find more satisfaction than playing someone else's creations.  I have, do, and will buy materials that I can use as inspiration (my box of OD&D modules I have used for adventures in my campaigns in the past is still full.

Hope that clarifies my reasoning in response to the (paraphrasing) "we need to help the start-ups" comments.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
<snip>
If you're just complaining about crowdfunding, and then saying only 3 games were good enough to enjoy your support, then make a game that's better, and let's see it. If you're that good of a world builder, I'd love to see your output, and if it's good, I'd offer you my support through buying your products.
<snip>

Crowd funding has a place in product creation/development and I think it is a great resource for many people (who obviously have many interests that I don't,which is fine,) and I have no grief with it as a practice/concept at all.

See my comment about going commercial ruining the time to play I just posted.  Never going to happen with me.

I make my games for personal enjoyment and (games and jewelry) sharing with friends and family.  I don't want to start making money by producing games or jewelry for people to buy.  The jewelry I make for friends/family has been 100% for gifts they want to get or give to their loved ones and I try and keep the costs down to materials and about "minimum wage" (edit: I find they won't take it unless they pay me something for my efforts) for my time.  I would rather turn down a request to make some jewelry than make something that would be a "job."  Miniatures are even more so something I want to keep strictly "fun" and appealing to me.

I am not in the business or of the philosophy that I have a need to support a company that is making something I don't want.

Edit: You are welcome to play in any of my games (currently far too infrequent for my tastes) if you are in the area.  I find it is more the people than the rules/miniatures as a rule - I play in friends games with rules (well, except GW,) that don't appeal to me personally, I just refuse to buy those rules.  I play eras/genres they like and I don't, I just refuse to buy miniatures for those.

I am willing to drop this part of the thread and stay on topic if you are.   :)

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:52:44 AM by Conquistador »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Ghosts of Hefei Funded! get in while you can.
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
Back to Ghosts of Hefei? It's getting a bit derailed now...

It's funded! Good stuff. Can't wait to see it. I will be doing a cityscape with a mix of old style and modern buildings for Warzone and I think it will be most excellent as a setting for this game.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
Re: Ghosts of Hefei Funded! get in while you can.
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
Can I just say congratulations - I am really glad this has made it. I love all the goal system rules but could not pledge to this simply because of the amount of other stuff I have on at the moment, combined with a distinct lack of time for new projects. I thought it was a good cause - interesting figures/rules/setting. Who knows, I may be able to dabble in this (or the Department) in future.

John

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again