Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Think I'm turning Japanese - A Samurai Terrain project - Painted stuff 4th May!  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
First of all, no. I haven't forgotten about "Herring Jävlar". Nor have I shelved it. I just needed to do something else to get the spark going into Herring Jävlar once more :)

My friend Henrix, who's a user here as well, is the Retainer for Bushido The Game (The last part should really be said in shouting american, and quickly). A lovely little game in which two players face each other of for the glory of some far away fantasy japan. Yes, I realize that I've should have read the background prior to posting this, but I just didn't have the interest at the moment. Anyhow, this little genious game (it's Confrontation linked somehow, Henrix got more info on this) is played on a 2x2 board. The actual board (which inspired this nifty litte forum thread  by Vanvlak) is shown in this thread. I'll post the finished pic here just because most of you can't be bothered to click on new links. I know I can't.

So, I needed some suitable terrain. As usual, I'm an extremely cheap individual, so I took left overs from other projects (don't put me on a buffé, I'll always try to eat my moneys worth, even though it might end with me vomiting over my platter) and set to the task.

My glorious plan was to do village that could, with some imagination and shoehorning, be tied with my chosen faction (Cult of Yurei, evil wizard that raises dead and summons ghost), so why not do a village? I've been really curios about doing thatched roof as found in this link. While my attempts weren't as good as the original, I'm satisfied with the feel of a farmer family trying to make a living in an unforgiving world, infested with zombies, samurais and other Japanese clicheés us westernes are so fond of. Anyhow, my plan is to have a small farmstead that's been deserted due to famine/plague/whatever. So I started of with a house. And it ate away my balsa wood collection on an alarming speed (damn me and my cheapness!):
Unfortunately, the roof won't come of since I built it rather daft. The actual structure was really fun. Matching the roof was, well, less fun. Thankfully, the superb thatching covers up most of my mistakes...

As you will note in the pic, there's also the basis of a well in the making. More of that further down this thread.

There is a house, outside the house, which they call the outhouse...
Every samurai needs to empty his bladder sometimes. And with the hassle of unbuckling, unstrapping and sheathing weapons, the good chap needs a place to sit down in comfort to write his Haikus and such. The great Haiku written by Skan-Daru known as "I empty, therefor sunshine" was written in such a place:

Fullness before
Emptiness afterwards
Nirvana on it's way

The well and the tree.
Well (har-har-har), I got the poor girl Taka together with the starter pack (and some other minis). And we all know that there need to be a well to drop poor innocent long haired girls with autism in.
Since I'm an idiot sometimes, I forgot to take a picture of the finished well which includes a lid with rocks on it and a warning sign in japanese that says "Death!". I could write "Free Fish" or whatever, since noone reads japanese, but hey, for once I'll try to be serious in a project.

And all it's glory. You might spot another terrain piece that I forgot to take a photo of. It started as a pigsty, and when I did half of it, I realized that I couldn't be bothered to do it fully, so I made an enclosed area for veggies and stuff.

Now I look forward to do a Chinese table so I'd be able to name the thread "Straight out of Canton!". I'm unsure if I can combine it with the immortal verse "Straight out of Compton, is a brother that'll smother your mother", but we'll see.

Ta!
S

I'll update this thread with some painted example later this week. I hope.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:05:22 PM by Silversixx »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: I think I'm turning Japanese - A Japanesque build project
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
You are off to a great start.
Like the look of your building.
Look forward to seeing it painted.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:53:28 AM »
Great job so far.  Japanese terrain resources are few and far between. 
I have not thought of that song in years.

Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
That is a very nice start, mate.
You will be getting good use out of that board very soon.
 :-*

I am looking forward to seeing you colouring it in with the crayons and wondering how you are going to incorperate that egg into the project!
As for the bananas....... :o
 :D :D :D

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
You are off to a great start.
Like the look of your building.
Look forward to seeing it painted.
Cheers :)
Great job so far.  Japanese terrain resources are few and far between. 
I have not thought of that song in years.

Snitchy sends.
Just only like the best song ever! Well maybe not. But great when you do dishes (not as good as straight out of compton, but almost).
That is a very nice start, mate.
You will be getting good use out of that board very soon.
 :-*

I am looking forward to seeing you colouring it in with the crayons and wondering how you are going to incorperate that egg into the project!
As for the bananas....... :o
 :D :D :D

I wrote an enormous amount of background with you in mind, and the only that catches your eye is my daughters crayons (and matching Glitter, very important when you draw princesses)?! I even wrote a Haiku!
;)
The egg is an easter egg in porcelain. It's supposed to be filled with candy, but that's not the case with this one anymore... I do my work on the kitchen table, hence the interesting background. It got the best light. And since I also do all the cooking (unless I wish to get poisoned by the missus) and the dishes (unless I wish to find leftovers in supposedly cleaned cuttlery), it's easier :)
With the veggie garden why not make an opposite corner with 2 parent sized graves among the carrots and spuds. Nothing upsets the digestion like going out to get carrots and finding 2 zombies lurking in among the silverbeet.
The problem is that the bloody Japanese don't bury their dead close to home, and either threw them into the wilds. Or, later on, left them in mourning houses where they were given a permanent position.
But I like the idea, and it might be a good place for rats to show up from lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
You do write a lovely bit of background and I guess this:

Fullness before
Emptiness afterwards
Nirvana on it's way

....should receive a wider audience, and I could comment on it all, but where would be the fun in that?
 ;)

Just be sure to post up the little princess that you are working on.
 lol

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Right then :)
So I finally found the time to paint all the terrain up :) I settled with five piece at the moment since I wanted something that I could end on a rather quick notice. Although I got stuck up in other stuff, as usual.

First out the well.
In case you drown your rather autistic daughter in a well, it's a good thing to cover it up and blame it on plague and poison. Just like these good ol' japanese farmers did.

The outhouse (the design blatently inspired by James' stuff, sorry!)

Good ol' daughter drowning japanese farmer cottage. Now with a small sign saying something in japanese that I forgot. Think it's "curse" or something like that. I realized that I should have done it bigger. But will my very non-picky gaming buddy care if I don't point it out? Nope.

Every japanese farmer needs a small grow patch to put stuff in. While being kept locked in due to some kind of plague, nobody's been looking after the stuff :(

Finally, every board looks good with at least a tree. So I kept it bare minimum.

Comparison shot for the cottage. I know that the mini is raised a bit, but I reckon it's (in it's original non-raised form) a bit smaller than heroic.

Group shot! Thanks for looking. All comments and praises are welcome :) Hopefully I'll can start painting all my Cult stuff as well...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Good to see you get some time to make some progress on this little project.
You are certainly getting some good results regardless of how quickly you are doing it.
It may sound odd but your little 'grow patch' is my favourite as it looks so effective.
 :-* :-*

(Actually the well is my favourite but I should not be encouraging you to hide bodies in wells...)

Also: Please refrain from showing any more pictures with those bloody GW trees in them.
I keep reminding myself that I should get some as they make great 'spooky woods'.
Thank you!
 :D

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Good to see you get some time to make some progress on this little project.
You are certainly getting some good results regardless of how quickly you are doing it.
It may sound odd but your little 'grow patch' is my favourite as it looks so effective.
Cheers Paul! :-* It's a good thing that at least one person gives some comments lol That makes me going :)
I was rather so-and-so on the whole patch thing. It felt like a last minute decision when I realised that I couldn't be bothered to do a animal holding of some kind ;) Thankfully I went through with it and just kept adding stuff until it looked good. Will try to take a better pic of it tomorrow :)

Also: Please refrain from showing any more pictures with those bloody GW trees in them.
I keep reminding myself that I should get some as they make great 'spooky woods'.
Thank you!
They're alright though ;) Especially as I got 10 for 10 quid from a mate ;D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
How did I miss this?

Lovely work my friend :-* Looking forward to seeing the figures painted :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Thank you Guy :)
I built another tree Yesterday and hope to finish it up today, together with another small plantation thingy :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Paul, here's a better pic of the patch :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
It works for me, mate.
 :)