Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:55:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting supplies  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
Painting supplies
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
I would like to know the best place to purchase paints, brushes, cleaning supplies, basing fluff, and whatever else we use to create the superb miniatures found on this forum.

I have been purchasing my Vellejo paints from a website and they have to travel a significant distance before I receive them, this can make things difficult if I need a certain color for a mini.

I happen to live in Seattle, WA in the U.S. I would first like information anyone may have pertaining to my problem, after that please list any info for our fellow gamers and hobbiest from around the world.

Thank you in advance for sharing any information, I will very much appreciate it.

Paul James Gabrielson

P.S. If you don't have any pertinent information please refrain from posting here, thank you.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Painting supplies
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
I would like to know the best place to purchase paints, brushes, cleaning supplies, basing fluff, and whatever else we use to create the superb miniatures found on this forum.

No decent hobby/model railroad stores in the Seattle area? Vallejo's Hobby Colour and their military-modelling line of paints are pretty widely available in model railroading places, in my experience.

For brushes, art supply places are usually a far, far better deal than dedicated wargaming hobby sources or general hobby stores. Half to two-thirds the cost for exactly the same, if not better, brushes.

P.S. If you don't have any pertinent information please refrain from posting here, thank you.

Attitude like this is likely to discourage people from being helpful here, you know...

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33:10 AM »
Privateer Press is based in the Seattle area.  They have quality products in their P3 line: http://privateerpress.com/

Offline eptingmike

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »
Ahh Seattle...lived there for quite some time and miss it sorely.
Now to your question.  For the paint, Vallejo is going to be easiest to find in a model or hobby shop.  Not sure what is up there these days.  I think the area has become a bit sparse in 'nerd-stores' since I was last there in '07.  I do believe there are a few Games Workshop stores so if you don't mind switching to their paint, that may be an option.  Personally, I prefer Vallejo myself.  Brushes, I would recommend the art supply store called Utrecht which is located just off of I-5 on Capitol Hill.  Pike and Blemont(?)are the cross streets.  There is/was a fairly decent art supply store in the University District as well.  However, Utrecht has a nice selection of brushes.  I used their house brand brushes for years.  Cheap and robust.  They also tend to have 40% coupons on their website.  I used on to purchase my first Windsor and Newton Series 7 brush from them.  They also have a nice porcelain pallet that I highly recommend.
Hope that helps!
Mike

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »
The Hobby Lobby here is now carrying Vallejo's military colors in the plastic model section right next to the Testor's paints.  Hobbytown probably has the full Vallejo line, as well as other brands of acrylics.  Please be kind enough to let us know if that was pertinent enough for you.