Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Speaking of Orcs... our quick Orc bannermen mods (pg 3 human bannerman fin)  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great and lovely! What a shot!

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Oh I love what you guys do. You know I don't have any way to game, but truly doing something like this would be a dream come true. The true spirit of the hobby is embodied by your work. You have it all. The figures, the scenery, the character backgrounds, the story and maybe most importantly the fun and camaraderie. I need to move so I can come game with you guys  :-* :-*

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
For those of you following the Teshub and Jevenkah Prepare to Play Fantasy Warriors saga we are one half step closer to playing this weekend. I need human bannermen on my side so my husband began conversions for me. Please don't freak out if you recognize the figure and would never grab a specific character out of a rare set and take a drill to it.

OK, that last part was really for my benefit. I took many deep breaths before handing him over. But as you'll see, he's going to be fantastic! And I need to have bannermen! And he's sat in a tray/box for decades!

He is a Julie Guthrie sculpt so great care was taken when removing the spear to keep the detailing on the boot and hand. Then came the drill and a wire spear with sculpted flag was inserted and figure primed. Yes, now I can see the thumb print on the flag.  o_o Gotta love megapixels.

He'll be getting painted this weekend and there is a step-by-step on the blog:
http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/crafting-counter/human-bannermen/

I'll be posting our paintings step-by-step too. Not because I think our way is the best way, but lots of folks we know in RL (read: non-gamers) are coming to the blog and asking how we do it.

Comments and critiques appreciated, especially ones related to the best ways of removing fingerprints from epoxy once it's been primed and blackwashed.

Jevenkah

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
Julie is an excellent sculptor. I love the work she does for Reaper and when my daughter asked me if there were any female sculptors I showed her both Guthrie and Garrity's work.

I have no idea how to get thumbprints out and I wish I did as I've left quite a few on my recent work. Hope you have a grand time this weekend  :D :D :D

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
(...)I have no idea how to get thumbprints out and I wish I did as I've left quite a few on my recent work. Hope you have a grand time this weekend  :D :D :D
Either GW's liquid green stuff (thinned and brushed on) or a Milliput wash (mix a tiny blob of Milliput and either dilute it with water, then brush it on or use a wet brush and pick up small amounts of Milliput to brush that on).
sanity is for cowards

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
The Old Boy looks much better as a standard bearer than a spear man...CLEVER conversion work. Have FUN with the painting!
On the finger prints: if you used Milliput or something similar for the flag, you can lightly file or sand the prints out. With Green Stuff, I take a hobby knife & draw it over the prints against the grain. In either case you'll have to reprime.

I can identify with the fear of converting a now rare miniature. When I started gaming 50 years ago (where did all that time go...sob?) I converted Britains Ltd. minis into 18th Century figures. As conversions, they were worth nothing. If I had left them untouched in their boxes, they'd be worth a small fortune. C'est la vie, eh?!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks for the support, DeafNala. I repeat to myself, "They're only things if we don't play with them. Never mind if it could have funded a small army." (Lead army, of course)

Thanks ink for the suggestions. I think it came out great!

OLeary, I have adored Julie Guthrie's work for decades! I always admired the fact that she could keep her own distinct style (which I find more delicate than most) in what was predominantly a male's hobby/industry when she started.

With the completion of this bannerman, we are ready to play tonight!

I can't wait!
Jevenkah

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Nice paint job!
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
VERY NICELY DONE! I see he's also filling in for the bugler...modern employment practices enter the Realms of Fantasy.

I hope the game went well..actually after reading your blog, I can't imagine it being anything except a blast.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Very nicely done conversion - he looks fantastic.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks everyone! We had a blast finally playing Fantasy Warriors. http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/fantasy-warriors/

Plenty of rolling and slaying and I will be posting more tomorrow about the game itself but for here and now the collected human bannermen :

Jevenkah,
who spent much of the weekend rubbing her hands in glee.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:58:30 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God

Plenty of rolling and slaying and I will be posting more tomorrow about the game itself

That gives me a reason to get up in the morning...at my age that's a plus.

who spent much of the weekend rubbing her hands in glee.

Now that's a picture I'd love to see. Hand rubbing accompanied by an evil grin & maniacal laughter works best...I'd bet you could pull it off splendidly.

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
Your bannerman turned out so very well. I like his standard-not a thumbrint in sight :D :D

I thought about you yesterday and hoped that you were having a grand time gaming and it seems as if you did. What a wonderful way to spend a holiday :D :D

I'll tell you what, I really like this new board of yours. The photo's you get with it are just stellar. And it compliments the figures rather than compete with them.  :-* :-*