Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which DUX do I want - Bellorium or Brittaniarium  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Just John

• Scientist
Which DUX do I want - Bellorium or Brittaniarium
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
I'm in a quandary I want to get some Dark Age rules and these (along with SAGA) seem to be the flavour of the moment. My question is how do they play - are they for similar sized forces and which one do people prefer? If anyone who has played both could tell me what they liked/disliked about each that would be brilliant.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Which DUX do I want - Bellorium or Brittaniarium
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:58:08 AM »
Dux Brit for mine.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:15 AM »
Dux Brit. - although Dux Bel is very nice set of rules.

Caveat: I've played Brit. and have only read through the rules of Bel.

What I find so charming about Dux Brit is the campaign system that creates a context for the engagements - be they raids or battles.

I also like the distinction that you start with raids and build up to battles.

I like the dynamic where fate - viable initial deployment, random sequence to the cards, etc - might make you cut your losses and scarper to fight another day.

Keep in mind, I come from a Warhammer tournament background where it's always a pitched battle.

I also like the fact that your forces grow over time and there are random "off game" events that will help or hinder your path to glory or ignominy.

This, is why I recommend it.
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:52 AM »
They are both quite reasonably priced, so why not get both?

Dux Brit uses individually mounted figures, Dux Bell uses elements.  For both games, you'll need 40-50 figures for each side.  Dux Bellorum is focussed on battles, and allows for a variety of factions (Late Romans, Romano-British, Picts, Welsh, Saxons, and more), while Dux Brit is looks at raiding parties and small clashes between British and Saxons (although like all TFL games it can easily be changed to suit other situations).  Dux Brit has a great campaign system that can easily be converted for other eras.

GEt 'em both, try 'em both and then choose!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
Dux Brit the big favourite nowadays. Simple, elegant and a superb campaign system that really gets all the players involved.
We've been playing it at the club for several months now (a 6 player campaign) and everyone is still very enthusiastic about it.
Single based figures but you can use movement trays if you want.
For the time being only Romano- Britons and Saxons but a supplement adding Irish, Picts and Scots should be out soon.
Easily transposed to other areas. In fact our next campaign will be the Romano- Belgae against Franks, Allemani and Goths.
Added 'RPG-like' elements like Priests, Scops, Bard and such add a lot to the game play.

Dux Bellorum is a reincarnation of the older 'Glutter Of Ravens'. Element based and with a wider variety of troop types ( there's only 7 in Dux Brit)
One thing I don't particulary like is that- like WAB- you have to 'buy' your amies abilties before the game. In Dux Brit you get semi- random cards that COULD give your army units a very temporary advantage.

Command in Dux Brit is very simple. You have a Warlord that can issue 3 (mostly) commands, and 2 Nobles each with 2. Unless they get wounded during the game, or heaven forbid, rout off the table that's it.

Dux Bellorum is a bit more streamlined You get 6 'leaderships points but you could sacrifice army points (meaning more or better troops) for more. Aside from the leader there are no sub- commanders.

Quite a difference from Dux Brit where one of your nobles is for example Penmarch the Mighthy ( or the Flatulent) Tall & Strong ( breaks downs door with the flick of a wrist), with the constitution of an ox ( re- rolls 1 wound during the game) and the son a a Centurion.

Both systems are worth playing but my personal favourite is Dux Brittaniarum. Somehow, at least to me, Dux Brit creates a 'heroic' feeling
where your figures become just a bit more than just painted lumps of lead or plastic.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
I will be interested to see your Romano/Belgae vs Frank/Allemani/Goth forces and games.  :P

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
Thanks for all that so far.

To those who play Dux Brit - is it worth getting the pre-printed cards or are the print yourself one adequate. I'm on a bit of a budget and want to save where I can.

Would either be more suited to a quasi fantasy setting? I suppose in either case its just a matter of assigning existing troop types to a similar fantasy type.

One final thing are either more or less suited to solo play?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
Both are truly excellent games in their own right (check out my blog for several AARs from both rule sets) and they have prevented me from playing pretty much anything else for months!! This is a good sign, I can assure you!

Dux Bellorum is more 'mass battle' whereas Dux Brit is more skirmish. Both games have some excellent mechanisms that make them 'different' from lots of other games out there. However, because of that, neither would be ideal for solo play, although Dux Brit would be better. This is because Dux Bellorum has an 'allocation of leadership points' phase which becomes like a poker game as you second guess your opponent - that'd be hard to replicate in solo play...

Incidentally, I'm involved in  a demo of Dux Bellorum at Salute tomorrow...

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:25 PM »
I plan on using both. Brit for campaign, bell for fights.
-J

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »
I've played Dux Brit and have recently bought Dux Bel. As said by many, Brit is more for individual skirmishes than pitched battles, which is more for Bel. I do like the RPG like feel of Brit, the cards and the size of forces. I play lots solo and it plays fine. I've also used it for the 15th century (wars of the roses and all that) and planned for my medieval world, inventing new cards and modifing/adding the odd rule or two.

Bel has its advantages; you can't play a 500 a side Brit game, but in Bel it's several elements. I bought these the other day to use them for the 15th century (again) and i plan to use both systems side by side, even in the same campaign (brainwave!-> begin with raids with Brit, small battle with Brit and the bigger, final battles with Bel! That should work well for some late medieval feuds!!!).

As for cards, i made my own, cutting 4cmx7cm pieces of card and writing on the bonuses. It helped me remember them and useful when if you ever make your own deck for an adaptation.

So it depends on what you want from your battles, but if you're not sure buy both! I have.

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »
I really enjoy the Dux Brit.  It is a fantastic game and as others have said, the campaign system is terrific.  Give it a try.  The PDF option makes it very affordable.

Chris
Chris Stoesen

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »
Dux Brit is a really really fun game. The card-based system is quick and adds tension wondering when your opponent might suddenly play a whole hand in one go and change the game out of all recognition. :o

The RPG flavour of some bits might not suit everyone but I think they really add.

I put a review of dux bell on my blog if you are interested.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
Well given that the Lardies have a sale on at the moment I'll give Dux Brit go then. Thanks for all the info lads - I'll have a browse around your various blogs later.