Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Robotech Tactics  (Read 26694 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Robotech Tactics Kickstarter
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:25 AM »
Eh, I'm fine with that - actually prefer it.  I wouldn't have likely used it in my games anyway.  I'd have preferred that stuff be applied to better components or cheaper prices on normal Robotech stuff...(give us more models, etc.).  Overall I'm stoked.  It'll be a long 6 month wait. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2013, 03:53:03 AM »
I'm rather amused that the Orguroids made it in as "experimental battloids".

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2013, 05:49:12 AM »
Yeah, what's the story with those?  Another Macross thing?  Looked rather...silly.  I won't be buying them.

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
They're from Orguss, a show very similar in theme to the 3 that went into Robotech (and nearly was part of Robotech) about a pilot of a very veritech-like mecha that gets caught in the blast of a new superweapon that merges earth with a bunch of other planets and aliens/cyborgs/robots fight for control of the new planet. Orguss and Macross were done by the same studio or same artists or something and there's a few easter eggs and nods to each other in both shows: Rick and the SDF-1 bridge crew appear very briefly in a scene of Orguss, and the Orguss main mech appears for a brief moment in Macross during one of the battles. So yes, it is "from" Robotech. Just like the VF-4 was also in Robotech...as a model Rick is playing with in an episode.

The other designs are made up and come from the RPG supplements I think. Unfortunately they are not Macross II designs as those designs were absolutely fantastic. It's too bad the story was rather poorly written and done by a different studio than Macross proper and retconned into nonexistence because the mecha from Macross II are far superior to much of what we got with Plus/7/Zero/Frontier. The experimental Zentraedi designs are not from any of those series either, BTW.

I kind of like that ND is making some original designs and expanding upon the Canon, if they stick with just what was in the shows it's gonna be pretty limiting. Plus these look pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:20:43 AM by kalamadea »
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
I can cope with some alternate weapons (especially if they keep with the look/feel of the show).  I'm not too keen on randomly generated mecha, and I'm fine leaving out mecha which are...as you said, Easter eggs.  Overall, I'm very pleased that the range was as expansive as it ended up being.  They didn't miss a single important thing to my mind.

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »
As Kalamadea mentioned, the orguroids are the battloid form of the hero mecha from Superdimensional Century Orguss, the show which took over Superdimensional Fortress Macross' time slot on Japanese television when the show's run ended. The shows shared a lot of creative staff, so there are a fair number of easter eggs between the shows. 

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
It's been an unreal experience this KS.

Can't wait for the miniatures to arrive. Guess I'll have to make some terrain while I wait. :)

Now I just have to decide what I want for add-on $.

I really, really want a Monster, but you can get 2 squads for the Price of 1 Monster. Hmm...
Too many projects... not enough time...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »

Now I just have to decide what I want for add-on $.

I really, really want a Monster, but you can get 2 squads for the Price of 1 Monster. Hmm...

Monster! You know you'll regret not getting one.

;)

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
Ha, ha. I guess you're right.  :D

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
I had to regret it, otherwise I could not get Showdown.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
Remember...selling off a small portion of your Showdown stuff will get you a Monster eventually anyway.  The Monster is too big to bother with until you have some reasonable forces built up.

Personally...I'm going to renew my 1/200 idea of making a modular (transforming) SDF-1 board...with pieces that change/shift and move during the game.  Time to renew that idea.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
Remember...selling off a small portion of your Showdown stuff will get you a Monster eventually anyway.  The Monster is too big to bother with until you have some reasonable forces built up.

Personally...I'm going to renew my 1/200 idea of making a modular (transforming) SDF-1 board...with pieces that change/shift and move during the game.  Time to renew that idea.

Considering the Showdown is about 1k on both sides of the fence....yea, I think I can justify it!  :-*

Concept sounds interesting, I would like to see posts on the project.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »

Mike and I build a Death Star terrain set once many moons ago. We also used it once as the surface of the SDF-1 in a Robotech/Macross game. Since then we found out there's a Death Star terrain mat being sold for the X-Wing game which will replace our old, rather cumbersome terrain. That could also be useful for the SDF-1 surface.

Just an idea.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »
I was just going to have my buddy laser-cut me some 1'x1' MDF tiles with some details cut on them....they'd have joints cut into them as well.  Using my game rules, when a certain objective card was drawn, each tile would rotate/elevate/disappear according to a dice roll.  It would only happen once per game.  Just something to throw the game around a bit.  With 1/285th stuff though I might even try for something more...elaborate.  I think with enough planning I could come up with a cool transforming table.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:22 AM »
A little inspiration for the long wait...I stumbled across this last year when working on my Macross game.  Not sure what it is...other than a high-def remake of the credits.  I think if they redid the entire series with the old audio and new artwork it'd be pretty slick.

:o