Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Robotech Tactics  (Read 26709 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Robotech Tactics Kickstarter
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
I'm more concerned with the weird pricing of a few models.  I agree the Monster will be a decent sized kit - still doesn't magically make it worth $40.  I don't think GW should ever be considered as "normal" or good pricing.  I expect a bit better.  The only thing I'm happy with is that they have enough start-up money already (and obviously enough interest) to make this a game which should be available without problem.

In the end that's enough for me.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
Same here.

But I just read the 2nd part of te interview with Kevin S, and that possibly is the worst news (for me) to date:

"Each mecha has a Mega-Damage Capacity (MDC) which determines how much damage the mecha can withstand before being destroyed. This is a low number to keep math simple and action fast-paced. There are no damage rolls. It the attack hits, damage is done.

The amount of MDC of a mecha is based on the MDC of the mecha in the Robotech RPG divided by 25, so a Valkyrie has 14 MDC in Robotech RPG Tactics because it has 350 MDC in the RPG. Likewise, the weapons generally do an amount of MD based on their maximum MD in the RPG divided by 20, so a GU-11 does 6 MD in Robotech RPG Tactics. This makes RPG Tactics a fast, deadly game that requires strategy and tactics as well the luck of the die roll."

This could possibly mean that (like the RPG) all mecha have a ton of redundant weapons and 1 or 2 they actually fire all the time.

Hope it isn't so. The RPG was/is... well... lame.
Too many projects... not enough time...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
I liked the RPG simply as a big source of information (though some of it was way off).  I even used the RPG game for a while, but we only barely used the mechanics.  It was fun if you put a lot of work into it.

I'd like to see more of the playtesting, but the intro video gameplay really didn't do anything for me.  I hate "command dice pools" etc.  I will be doing my own rules, so for me it's all about the models.  Even my rules will be simple and fast playing, but I know what you mean about certain weapons being useless.  I'd also like to point out that the newer version of the Robotech RPG increased every single mecha's armour etc.  I really disliked this about the RPG.  There was no proper feel to the show.  In my version, while a Veritech will be plenty good, it will still be prone to being destroyed by a shot or two from a battle pod.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
Indeed as the Monster is even taller and much wider than a Pod.

@styx: I've heard this greedy argument before, but to me it doesn't compute. Seems like tere's a ton of models in the Battle Cry starter already, but this is the first kickstarter I've ever followed, so I have nothing to compare with.

What is in there is decent....the key a KS is to make the most on the investment by selling the concept to someone. I just think they could have laid out the goals and such a tad better and not made it as huge of a money grab. Even if that isn't the intent, it comes off as such. People vote with their wallets...personally, I would love for them to fall into the million+ but I just don't see it, maybe 600k, perhaps 700k, but I think they are going to hit a wall due to how they are managing things. Look at Reaper's KS that was tossing some feebies and people was eating them up and throwing money out left and right in pledges to get to the next goal to see what pops up. Here it has been more of a slight climb now since the early frenzy is gone.

Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
As a gamer though it's no fun playing or playing against an army that relies solely on not getting hit (that's my personal experience anyway). So that part of "realism" I'm personally glad to see gone.

@styx: Yeah, but Robotech really can't surprice very much. We more or less know all the models and variants by heart anyway.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:30:46 PM by Jaeger »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
As a gamer though it's no fun playing or playing against an army that relies solely on not getting hit (that's my personal experience anyway). So that part of "realism" I'm personally glad to see gone.

@styx: Yeah, but Robotech really can't surprice very much. We more or less know all the models and variants by heart anyway.

True, but there could have been a better method to their madness is what I am saying. Others are also.

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
I'm sure you're quite right.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
I agree, it is all a bit sloppy.

My main issue though is the random pricing.  If an $80 starter box gets you 30+ minis, how does an add-on box of two models become $20.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  lol

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
I agree, it is all a bit sloppy.

My main issue though is the random pricing.  If an $80 starter box gets you 30+ minis, how does an add-on box of two models become $20.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  lol

Makes you wonder what the retail price point is going to be. Will it remain $20 for 2? If so, why would I care to up buy other than I may get them earlier. If they go much higher, they could cut their own throat in retail sales and kill it as soon as it lifts off. Selling a boxed set of 2 ffor $30 or more would be worse than GW pricing.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »
Agreed.  Some of it looks very well priced...(assuming retail prices are similar).  I think a Veritech (about 40mm tall) in three modes is well worth $15.  Likewise I think six battlepods (about 60mm from the looks of it) for $25 is reasonable as well.  If those prices represent retail price (which means you can count on about another 20% off that from a quality shop) then we're really in business.

Some of it makes sense...a bunch of it don't.  o_o

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 04:37:28 AM »
That's my board they're running the demo on...
;)
post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
I think a little perspective is in order as these prices are pretty much in line with most of the mainstream gaming industry (who is clearly the target audiece for this game, not us guys that make our own games using oddball minis cast from some dude's garage and sold through his online webstore). Partly, they are targetting the Destroids to the Battletech guys that they know will buy them. They'll be almost perfect matches for the Unseens and certainly of much higher quality than the old plastics or metals. You're paying $9~$15 for an Iron Winds mech, and (metal vs plastic preference aside) these will be much higher quality sculpts and casts. The Monster is a bit too much for my blood, but not terribly out of line with GW or Privateer Press or Malifaux. A model the size of a 40k Dreadnought is pretty universally $30 to $40 now, whether it's metal, resin or plastic. I am, as I type this, staring at a half painted plastic Retribution of Scyrah warjack that costs $35 and will be maybe 2/3 the size of that Monster. I was personally hoping for $30 since at $40 I'm not buying one (perhaps some time down the road) but there's enough who will and enough who already have. Just look at the pledge jump when it was announced.

It's not really fair comparing it to the 1/200 plastic kit (which is half the price for a model 50% bigger). bandai isn't making the 1/200 Monster from scratch at todays costs, the mold was made 20 years ago to sell to modelers (a much wider market than wargamers) and already paid for itself years ago. They just need to grab the mold from the storage shed, slap it in the machine and print up some new boxes. Almost all of the production costs for hard plastic kits is tooling the metal molds themselves, it cost Bandai more to produce, pack and distribute the boxes for the 30th anniversary reprint than to make the models that go inside those boxes. Compare that to Ninja Division making a brand new plastic kit at today's tooling costs, and remember that for a support kit like this one that you'll only sell maybe a couple or 3 to any single player. Even going outside the Miniature-Giant-Robot market you can look at any of the 1/48 or 1/35 Tamiya WW2 kits which are all around $35 to $40 too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:50:21 AM by kalamadea »
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
I must admit that I agree with kalamadea.

And the monster may actually have a stretch goal that halves the cost. Destroids started out at $20 for two and ended up at $20 for 4 wich is extremely reasonably imo.

And start-boxes are always cheaper (pr. model) than add-ons, so no surprice there.

I'm not saying that the kickstarter is well organised, but the prices compare reasonably to other Companies and may end up even cheaper.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
You're missing my main gripe though - inconsistency.  Huge inconsistency between certain kits.  I imagine it's been planned that way.

Also, just because GW prices things a certain way doesn't mean it's a good price.  ;) (and be honest...Privateer Press isn't much better).   :?  And sadly while Tamiya makes a great model kit - their prices are simply insane (especially considering the age of some of their kits).

Don't get me wrong - I'm already backing the project, as I think the initial investment in models is good (if not great).  But some of the add-ons are just silly as they sit now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:24:22 AM by Elbows »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
You're missing my main gripe though - inconsistency.  Huge inconsistency between certain kits.  I imagine it's been planned that way.

Also, just because GW prices things a certain way doesn't mean it's a good price.  ;) (and be honest...Privateer Press isn't much better).   :?  And sadly while Tamiya makes a great model kit - their prices are simply insane (especially considering the age of some of their kits).

Don't get me wrong - I'm already backing the project, as I think the initial investment in models is good (if not great).  But some of the add-ons are just silly as they sit now.

I agree, as I said earlier I expect to pay for the Monster/MAC II, power armor, super veritech and other special stuff...the more common stuff could have been slipped in a bit different into the packages for value and then offered as buy on options at the end to round out forces.

Instead their goals are a bit more chaotic and make little sense as said above.