Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [BOX] Vanvlak's cat-proof boxed game set  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
[BOX] Vanvlak's cat-proof boxed game set
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
Oh well, here goes nothing - not officially listed, still box-less, and hungry too.

I have actually found a box which fits my harsher demands (cat proof), but is is almost HALF the size of a Pappis box, which is a bit harsh... so I'll not commit to a specific design or topic yet as it would be wise to try to get something better than this.

For inspiration: http://cheezburger.com/49585409   :D :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:38:28 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: [BOX] [renegade unlisted entry] Vanvlak's cat proof boxed game
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
Oh well, here goes nothing - not officially listed, still box-less, and hungry too.

I have actually found a box which fits my harsher demands (cat proof), but is is almost HALF the size of a Pappis box, which is a bit harsh... so I'll not commit to a specific design or topic yet as it would be wise to try to get something better than this.

For inspiration: http://cheezburger.com/49585409   :D :D

I'll list you straight away!  :D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
I'll list you straight away!  :D
Aww I liked being a renegade  :(

Thanks Dr The Viking  :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Kitteh!

Very funny.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
Found the box, to size, and reasonably cat proof too. I'll call it a metapappis box, as it's not a real pappis box: it's an old wooden wine presentation box. I would have liked to report I had to drink 3 bottles of wine to get the box, but they're long-departed spirits. ;D

It's a bit smaller than the pappis, being just 12cm high, but that just makes the challenge more interesting. I guess.......
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:49:45 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: [BOX] Vanvlak's cat-proof boxed game set
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
I have identified the game I will be basing on, and some bits required. And have, alas, started a set of regulations for the project - which you have to read if you want to find out what I'm planning  ;D ;D

Vanvlak’s MetaPappis Box Project - Titan Legions: Knightland
Regulations

1 - Terminology
‘Box’ will in the text of these Regulations.
‘Titan Legions’ is the Epic (6mm) scale game published by Games Workshop (GW) as a follow-up to Epic Space Marine (2nd ed).
‘Knights’ is indicative of the more or less human-shaped vehicles, most of which have legs and are ‘walkers’, which are part of the forces represented in some of the GW 40K forces.
‘Game’ refers to a scaled down use of the Titan Legions rules chosen for this project.
‘Gaming surface’ describes the surface on which the game is placed. It is not a table or otherwise-supported surface, but a surface area which could be placed on a table for games.

2 – The Box
2.1 The Box shall be, as far as possible, cat proof.
2.2 The Box shall have a half-decent appearance, to the extent that if left outside furniture or other boxes it will not constitute an utter eyesore.
2.3 The Box will contain the gaming surface, scenery, two opposing sets of gaming models, any dice or templates required, unit cards. The rules shall not be included.

3 - Parallel Boxes
3.1 The Box game shall be defined for the scope of the current project as in (4) below.
3.2 Parallel Boxes would include (i) supplementary or alternative models or scenery; (ii) extensions of the gaming surface; (iii) alternative scenery and models for different game rules based on the same gaming surface.
3.3 Parallel Boxes need not be bound by the sacred dimensions of the Pappis Box.

4 - The game
4.1 The game shall be based on Titan Legions, using the rules and profiles indicated in the official rules.
4.2 The size of the forces will be limited by what is practical for a surface approximately 2’ x 2’ (60cm x 60cm), and would be skirmish-sized in nature.
4.2.1 Thus for this purpose, each unit type is a single vehicle instead of a group of vehicles. Points costs will be calculated based on unit costs and numbers in a formation as defined by the official formation cards.
4.2.2 The focus of the selection of vehicles would be based on Knights, or other super-heavy class vehicles as defined in Titan Legions; however, smaller vehicles and small numbers of troops and or/scout titans may be used.
4.2.3 The game set contained in the Box will consist of two forces of 6 knights each, one Eldar and one Imperial.
4.3 Official rule mechanics will be observed, with the exception of single models replaced formations.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »
Great with the knights!  :)

Looking forward to see this come along!

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
good choice. Looking forward to seeing more.

former user

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
For inspiration: http://cheezburger.com/49585409   :D :D

Yes, always depressing to see wild animals kept in far too small and inadequate enclosures  :(

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
Yes, always depressing to see wild animals kept in far too small and inadequate enclosures  :(
Kudos to you, former user - I agree wholeheartedly about enclosures (or worse).
But -  I would not have posted it were it not for one detail: it's a Big Cat Rescue video, and BCR rescue big cats with unpleasant pasts (owner abuse, trained cats, etc). Their link can be found here: http://bigcatrescue.org/about/credentials/
They still live in enclosures, which I agree is far from ideal, but probably a good solution for these big cats with a history.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
Oh, and thanks for the thumbs-up guys.
I always had a soft spot for Epic (my very first wargame), and Titans - until I discovered Knights, which are smaller (and easier to store) and cheaper. So I'm happy to drag them here. Especially as it means I'll get a handful done. I have never recovered from the purchase of a boxful of 60 metal knights.....

former user

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Kudos to you, former user - I agree wholeheartedly about enclosures (or worse).
But -  I would not have posted it were it not for one detail: it's a Big Cat Rescue video, and BCR rescue big cats with unpleasant pasts (owner abuse, trained cats, etc). Their link can be found here: http://bigcatrescue.org/about/credentials/
They still live in enclosures, which I agree is far from ideal, but probably a good solution for these big cats with a history.

I draw my hat to You, and that You mentioned the cat rescue
awareness is the first step

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
I draw my hat to You, and that You mentioned the cat rescue
awareness is the first step
And I to you mate, I'm happy you brought this up.

Some progress: I'm trying to see what I can actually get in the box. So far it amounts to:
9 gaming surface elements 20cm x 20cm each
11 high rise buildings (6mm scale, remember!)
7 other terrain elements
12 models

There's barely enough room for a pair of dice  >:D
I might try to fit in one more terrain feature, however.

A note on the terrain - an easy way out for me would have been card buildings (such as the original Titan Legions ones) stored folded and assembled for battle; however I am not a big fan of card, and I wanted a less Gothic (or GW Ork) appearance, so I am using some odds and ends which might work... ???

Pics - what I am worst at, but I'll do my best next weekend.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
Cool project. A game's a game, but a box could be anything, even another game!  lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
Cool project. A game's a game, but a box could be anything, even another game!  lol
..or a cat-resistant stronghold.

Progress - the surface elements are in hand, and I've found a simple way of storing them without damaging the paint - although a DIY store trip is needed first.
If all goes well I'll tackle a building today.
I should take pics too...