Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691337
  • Total Topics: 118387
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 281759 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert 25 March (P40) Dingo crew added
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
Exquisite Richard. My immediate  thought was Edward Fox as Lt Gen Horrocks in A Bridge Too Far.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #601 on: March 26, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »

lol
Sorry, just don't find the Italians appealing :)
(Now if the Perrys produced a set of plastic WW2 Italians, that might be different... )
I think the Perrys won't do Italians, French or Americans in Plastic, so I will get me a very big book for October. Something like war&speaker from Tolstoi or the stand from Stephen King.
Not maybe one squad Italians in metal? No vehicle, I will flee with them around the gaming board, no fighting action. I keep it like the reality.... ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #602 on: March 26, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
You are down to play Rommel, Dirk  ;)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #603 on: March 26, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
You are down to play Rommel, Dirk  ;)
Jawohl, mein Kapitän....

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #604 on: March 26, 2017, 09:45:16 PM »
Played a small test action to try out 'Iron Cross' rules from Great Escape Games.

The board is makeshift as I haven’t started building my proper desert boards yet, but it does the job.

British Forces: 1 x Honey, 1 x Vickers light tank, 1 x Bren carrier with infantry section, 1 x Austin Tilly HQ vehicle and commander.

German Forces: 1 x Pz III, 1 x Pz II, 1 x SdKfz250 with infantry section, 1 x Steyr 1500 HQ vehicle and commander.

That’s an almost exactly balanced force, although with a sight edge to the Germans in quality of armour and firepower.

The British objective to secure the fuel dump in the village. The German objective is to take it.

This game is all about spending your command tokens wisely. You get one token for each offensive unit – so in each case that's three: two tanks and an infantry section. Transport vehicles don’t generate command tokens. However, an HQ presence does generate two more, meaning each side has five command tokens to spend each turn. (To be spent on activations to move, fire, recover morale, and so on – the usual).

You can also gamble however, and spend command tokens to try to interdict the ‘active’ player’s activation with a reaction to any activation.
This is easier said than done however, especially once the unit testing to make a disruptive reaction has taken some morale hits of its own.

So, in summary, the rules (movement, firing, damage etc) are all pretty simple.
The tactical difficulties of managing command resources and morale, are very apparent, even in a short and simple test game like this…
You can see straightaway it makes for an interesting game where you have to constantly balance marshalling your resources against the temptation to go for the jugular. On;y to then find that you don’t have enough command tokens left to react when you need to, or to try to recover morale – which can deteriorate spectacularly quickly in a sustained firefight.
Thus far, quite realistic I guess.

In the opening move, both sides fling their tanks forward, with the Honey and Panzer II immediately engaging at a distance.

There are no ranges – everything is assumed to be in range, although under 12” does count as close range and gets a +1 in shooting.
Each side manages to activate and react, and many command tokens are expended (as you can see!)
This leads to a rapid accumulation of 'hits' and thus morale markers, with the Honey coming off second best – and failing to recover any of its morale when tested. One more hit and it’s a goner. The crew will bale out and leg it, their morale limit exceeded.

Meanwhile the Panzer III commander decides to skirt around the duel in the sun, with a flanking move…

The British infantry section occupy the flat roofs of the buildings to prepare to fire at the advancing Germans. (Note, an infantry section is these rules requires only four figures, being strictly representative. There’s no figure removal, and no difference between LMGs, SMGs and rifles. Basically an infantry squad is a combat element. It fails and is destroyed only when its morale collapses. For the sake of appearances though, I’ve decided to make my infantry sections a more likely eight figures strong… )

There are rules for ‘support squads’ by the way: HMGs, mortarts, A/T rifles, A/T guns etc, but in the interests of mastering the game basics, we keep it simple for this first test run.

With the Honey teetering on the precipice of doom having failed a morale test and unable to fall back, the gallant Vickers light tank trundles forward into the fray, putting itself in harm’s way.

Whilst inferior in armour and weapon to the Panzer II, nonetheless, the Panzer is already compromised by its own heap of morale tokens, and therefore pretty much unable to react to try to grab the initiative. Whilst the Panzer had the edge on the Honey, it’s disadvantaged against a new opponent because it’s already lumbered with so much morale damage of its own.

The Vickers comes into close range and lets rip.

The Panzer’s armour is penetrated and ‘bang!’ – brews up. Absent black smoke, orange lichen serves as flame…

The German commander decides to throw his infantry forward, whilst the other Panzer is still making slow progress on its flanking trip.

Eventually however, just as the Vickers and the British have exhausted their small supply of command tokens for the turn, the Panzer III puts in its surprise appearance…

The Panzer III prepares to fire at point blank range, but the Vickers manages to react and tries to get a shot in first. Unfortunately it misses. The Panzer III commander licks his lips, and prepares to put an armour piercing round into the flank of the Vickers…

Meanwhile the German infantry disembark from their halftrack and rush onto the high, rocky ground overlooking the village.

A general view of the action at this point.

The Panzer III scores an armour-penetrating hit on the Vickers and ‘kaboom!’.

At this point, unfortunately my camera batteries died! (Kaboom!) But essentially, there was then a short and determined fire fight between the British and German infantry, with the British coming off worse, despite initiative switching to and fro a couple of times.
At the start of the next turn (4), with the Germans holding the initiative and the British infantry just one morale marker away from total collapse and flight, they abandoned the rooftops and fell back.

The Honey was slowly recovering, but would almost certainly have to face the Panzer III at short range, and still with a significant morale disadvantage affecting its fighting ability.

At this point, the British commander ceded the encounter - and the fuel dump - to the Afrika Korps…

That was three and a bit turns to get to a pretty clear result, took about 90 minutes to play - and that was with a lot of reference to the (very short) rules. On the whole, pretty promising I’d say.

Next time I’ll try a slightly larger game…

I like it though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:47:42 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Beautiful set up. Those vehicles really are top notch.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #606 on: March 26, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »
There are no ranges – everything is assumed to be in range, although under 12” does count as close range and gets a +1 in shooting.

SIC!

(Note, an infantry section is these rules requires only four figures, being strictly representative. There’s no figure removal, and no difference between LMGs, SMGs and rifles. Basically an infantry squad is a combat element. It fails and is destroyed only when its morale collapses. For the sake of appearances though, I’ve decided to make my infantry sections a more likely eight figures strong… )

Relatively cheap buy-in to get started, then  :)

That was three and a bit turns to get to a pretty clear result, took about 90 minutes to play - and that was with a lot of reference to the (very short) rules. On the whole, pretty promising I’d say.

Sounds like a winner. Looking forward to the next installment!

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Stupendous, this is what it is all about.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
For an alledgedly makeshift board it certainly looks spectacular. Thanks for the detailed overview, sounds like an interesting system. 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Excellent looking table.
Sound like an interesting rule system.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Nice battle report and nice setup , figures and vehicles!!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice looking game! 8) I can't wait to see what you come upnwith board-wise!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Lovely models (and board).

Interesting set of rules.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Nice looking game! 8) I can't wait to see what you come upnwith board-wise!

Thanks Andy - actually, it's going to look an awful lot like the desert board you made a little while ago  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Very nice board that - and the stunning vehicles are just great!
Sounds fun, I might take a look at the rules.
What size was the table?