Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 276496 times)

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lovely tank! Looks the biz

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Excellent work.

The spare track/carrying basket is very well done.

We need to nag them for individual links...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks gents  :)

UVS - yes, I had to bodge that set of spare tracks from the short length provided in the PzIV kit, plus a short length found in the German stowage set 1 kit...
Interesting that this kind of informal arrangement (spare track doubling as carrying basket for spare road-wheels) is illustrated in the rather lovely box art, but not actually included in the (otherwise excellent) kit itself... Odd.

That’s superb, your best yet. You might even persuade me to join in a game just to enjoy playing with them. :)

Haha. Thanks Nick. That'll be the day ::) ;)

Lovely work! Is that brush or airbrush painting?

Brushes.
I know some people do use airbrushes, even on small scale kits in 1/56 or 1/72, but it feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut to me. I prefer the control you get with a brush :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
 Ausgezeichnet Schweinhund, Jawoll!

The amount of weathering and chipping looks just right, and I like that warm sand ochre tone very much.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:45:09 AM by Westfalia Chris »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.99 - SdKfz 223 A/C finished
« Reply #1519 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
I'm not quite sure if the plastic component provided to drape over the top of the turret (thoughtfully, they provide folded and unfolded versions) is meant to be a tarpaulin, a Libyan rug, or a picnic blanket.
I would have loved to see it painted as a picnic blanket ^__^.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
That is a delightful piece  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Oooh!
Another lovely addition to the tank pool.
Superb and subtle weathering.
 :-* :-*

With this tank painting bug that you have at the moment, it can only be a matter of time before you succumb to painting an IG Armoured Company for 40K, methinks.....
 :D ;D ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Haha. Thanks Pablo.
But you’ll be a very long time waiting for that one  ;) lol

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
That one looks absolutely fabulous Richard! I almost can‘t believe you‘ve achieved that look without the use of an airbrush  :o
The Fliegersichttuch is a nice touch and works well as an eyecatcher. albeit being German it feels a little odd to see it on full display on a model kit. Certainly not your fault though, it‘s just a case of viewing habit.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Well it looks as beautiful as all your other creations Richard!  :-* :-* :-*

That said, I think you went a bit overboard on the insignia, notably the Balkan crosses....just a couple too many. The one on the front turret would be an aim spot for enemy gunners, so not sure about that one unless you have a photo reference of a crew that was just reckless.

Also, the front stowage bits are a bit confusing to me. The spare wheels go elsewhere (on the side or sometimes at the back) but not obscuring the front vision ports. Also, the jerry can is just asking for trouble, as since you don't have it painted with a white cross it would be for petrol, and if hit in combat would be a molotov type explosion on the tank.

Just my opinion...I know you love artistic license when doing stuff, which accounts for what great work you turn out. This time for me, these bits just distract from your final product. :)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Haha. Thanks Pablo.
But you’ll be a very long time waiting for that one  ;) lol
After you complete that Italian army? ^___^

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Also, the front stowage bits are a bit confusing to me. The spare wheels go elsewhere (on the side or sometimes at the back) but not obscuring the front vision ports. Also, the jerry can is just asking for trouble, as since you don't have it painted with a white cross it would be for petrol, and if hit in combat would be a molotov type explosion on the tank.
Not sure what you mean by obscuring the vision ports, the ports are clear. Admittedly the driver might find parking close to a low wall a bit difficult.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:39:48 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
Lovely work on the tracks - rust and rough looking iron on the spare section, smoother, worn, metal on the sections hammering around those road wheels. The dust on the tracks also fab. Washes?
EC

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
That said, I think you went a bit overboard on the insignia, notably the Balkan crosses....just a couple too many. The one on the front turret would be an aim spot for enemy gunners, so not sure about that one unless you have a photo reference of a crew that was just reckless.

That could help explain his results when gaming with them.......
 :D ;D ;)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Terrific stuff
May I ask how you did the air recognition flag?