Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Progress on my Western Town - Link to Photos  (Read 2623 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Progress on my Western Town - Link to Photos
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
All,
       Here is a link to my Flickr photos of the buildings. Again, I make no claims that these are anything but acceptable wargame models.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92816988@N08/

All,
     So following up on a couple recent discussions, I went to work making my own town from scratch.  After 4 days of work, I have so far, 5 buildings - A dance hall/saloon, a Sheriff's Office, A bank, A general store and a livery stable. I ran out of foam core, a trip to the craft shop tomorrow.  All told, these took me perhaps 8 hours and no more than $10.00 US.   Materials used were foam core ($3.00 per sheet), square sticks of balasa ($.75 ea.) and cardboard for bases and roofs (free).  Will they win awards, no.  Are they marvels of miniature architechture, no.  Do they look like what I intend them to be, yes.  Did they give me pleasure in building, yes.  Are they completely playable, yes.
      When I have an extra minute and access to the house (my wife's camera), I will take a couple photos.  I figure I need perhaps 5 more buildings - A hotel/restaurant, A barber shop, A Post Office and perhaps a couple of simpler rooming houses.  Any suggestions as to other buildings?

Nick
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:19:51 PM by NickNascati »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Progress on my Western Town
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Depending on the time/place of your setting, an Assay Office, a Tannery, a telegraph office, a warehouse (railroad connection?) or a church/meeting hall?

Edit: Blacksmith (farrier) possibly?  Undertaker?

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:18:29 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
Glenn,
          The setting is basically the 1870s.  I have the livery stable covering Blacksmith shop and saddlery.  I was debating about adding a church.  Easy enough to build.  Basically the town will only have 2 - 3 multi storey buildings, the Dance hall/saloon, the hotel and maybe one other.

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
I'd second Glenn's suggestion of an undertakers and telegraph office. What about a bordello, a railroad company office (combined with the telegraph office?) and a printshop for the local paper? I really want to make my own old west town but I don't have the space, time or money!   :'(

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Don't forget the small buildings - cabins, sheds, outhouses, etc.  Too many people (Hollywood especially) forget the residences.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Progress on my Western Town - Link to Photos
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Elk,   I made the assumption that the saloon would act as the bordello ala The Longbranch (Gunsmoke).
Cory,  Good point, those sorts of structures and some outlying residences will come out of the next sheet of foam core.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Not bad at all! I think you did an amazing job with scratch work, the detail you did on the inside was a very nice touch.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
Styx,
         Thanks for the kind words, and really, these are basically for my own enjoyment, possiby one or two others.  Yes, I know I can easily go a step up and use coffee stirrers for the boardwalk and add shingles to the roofs, but for now these will do.  I was pleased that my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter immediately recognized the piano.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Looks like a great start. Always nice to see scratch builds.
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »
Styx,
         Thanks for the kind words, and really, these are basically for my own enjoyment, possiby one or two others.  Yes, I know I can easily go a step up and use coffee stirrers for the boardwalk and add shingles to the roofs, but for now these will do.  I was pleased that my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter immediately recognized the piano.

Hey, you've done more about it than I have with most of my projects! You should be giving yourself a well earned pat on the back! I'd be very pleased with those.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
Guys and Girls (?),

Thanks for all the kind words and comments/suggestions.  Made a craft store run today, got a large sheet of foam core, balsa sticks and pipe cleaner for cactus.

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
What are you looking to use for the table? It looks like they're sitting on floor tiles in the blog photo; are you looking to paint those up? I had thought about textured wallpaper on MDF tiles, if I can find the right pattern!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
I actually have a 4x4 playing area on top of my half ping pong table.  The tiles I use are actually a brownish shade which is very multi-functional, it works with just about everything I play.  Since I tend to use Two Hour Wargames rules, the tiles make it easy to roll for terrain in random set ups.  I'll take a photo later this week and use the regular tiles.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
I actually have a 4x4 playing area on top of my half ping pong table.  The tiles I use are actually a brownish shade which is very multi-functional, it works with just about everything I play.  Since I tend to use Two Hour Wargames rules, the tiles make it easy to roll for terrain in random set ups.  I'll take a photo later this week and use the regular tiles.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
Glenn,
          The setting is basically the 1870s.  <snip>

:)  A little outside my "time zone" (1680 - 1840's) for the SouthWest as it is called today.  ;)

Sounds like you have a good set up in the making.

Gracias,

Glenn