Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do you use your heroes?  (Read 4696 times)

Offline joespeed

• Lurker
How do you use your heroes?
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
Hi everybody,

after having played my second game of T & T, there were just some thoughts arising concerning the role of the hero. At the moment, we use the heroes for improving morale of the unit he has joined or for fighting.
But the issue is... we want more... we just want some "Indiana-Jones"-like actions... how do you use the heroes? What were the most spectacular actions carried out by your heroes which you can still remember?
we just want to get a bit more of this cinema feeling...

Please advise.
Thanks a lot!

Offline Iceaxe

• Bookworm
Re: How do you use your heroes?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
It was a while ago now so I'm hazy on the detail, but we had about 3 units and a hero/overall commander each for an inter-war encounter of Afghans and Chinese-supported archaeologists or Russians. I DO remember - probably because it was me - the single hero standing in the face of an oncoming horde (well, 12 or so) of Afghans, taking steady shots with his pistol. I had chosen the cards so that the unit he was moving with (but not a part of) would continue it's retreat out of harm's way, and the and the MG on the hill and I think  another unit would shoot into the horde before they made it into contact.

Which was all to my opponent's delight, as all he saw was some idiot with a .45 trying to hold off his charging tribesmen. As it turned out he had set his cards up to move the charge in last, so by the time the unit's card came up, it had received enough casualties to stop it where it was. Some from the MG & some from the steely-eyed hero, staring the ruffians down. At least that's how it seemed to me.

So a straight military action, but I did think at the time that it was very cinematic-like.

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »
We had a nice game one or two weeks ago, when the famous White Hero Gen. Hasselof (drunk, as always) first jumped off the train. After that he tried to force a herd of cows to stampede into the (at this time already superior) Red army.  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:39:02 AM »
The main power of the Hero in T&T is, in my experience is that, he/she/it moves independently and can attach/detach itself from other units. Having its own card in the stack is, as mentioned above, this is useful to win game objectives.

The *purpose* of the hero, on the other hand  in the game is rather to add flair and storytelling to the game. These things are very important IMO to make a good game.

Offline flashman1889

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
Has anyone tried more than one hero a side? I am interested in having some other characters, that while not THE hero, are more than just the leader of a unit.  Take for instance Firefly the show.  Mal is the HERO but the other cast members are certainly more than just also rans.

Thanks
"Wherever you go, there you are."  Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
We use additional characters sometimes. Usually we give them en "elite" + leader profile and allow them a single skill, for an additional 20 (?) points. They are allowed to act as heroes but are limited in their strenght due to their different wound chart.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
You can also use a Hero Force to represent a group of experts. We once did that in a BoB game. It was a team like the Guns Of Navarone or the 7 Samurai if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:03:19 AM by Driscoles »
, ,

Offline flashman1889

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
Awesome,  I like both those ideas.  I will try them out in upcoming games and let you know how they go.

Cheers