Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Forces Cyprus - TO&E needed  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
British Forces Cyprus - TO&E needed
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:38:22 PM »
Could anyone provide me with info on the current British forces stationed on Cyprus, their organization and especially their equipment (the bigger ones: aircraft, vehicles, artillery etc.)? Or at least indicate some good sources?
So far, my Google searches gave me a list of stuff I should take if I were to be deployed there - and that's quite improbable...  ;)

We're planning a campaign for Cold War Commander about a hypothetical modern conflict over Cyprus - more on it when we'll start playing. :)

Thanks in advance.

Offline 84 Sqdrn

• Student
Re: British Forces Cyprus - TO&E needed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
I think you'll find that the only aircraft based in Cyprus permanently are the helicopters of 84 Squadron  :)

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
Which, according to the 84th Squadron site, are Bell Griffin HAR2. But these are only search and rescue, aren't they?

Apart from that, I found that there are two army battalions:
- 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers,
- 2nd Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment.
I'm trying to get some more info on these.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »
At present there are the two Light Role Infantry Battalions, their TO&E, so far as I can tell is as per this link:

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0031.html

That would give you something like:

HQ
3 Companies each with:
HQ
3 Rifle platoon stands

Manoeuvre Support Company with:
HQ
Recce stand (Could be a Landy or maybe a Jackal)
Javelin ATGW stand
81mm Mortar stand & Observer
2 GPMG SF MG stands

All probably have access to light trucks.

If you need to reinforce them in a hurry you could use elements of 16 Air Assault Brigade:
http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/28211.aspx
Not sure of precise current TO&E - might be as per the Light Role above - but depends if they're likely to be facing armour.

or 3 Commando Brigade:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Commando_Brigade and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_21

Some detail on current issue equipment here: http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/285986_ARMY_VEHICLESEQUIPMENT_V12.PDF_web.pdf

Hope that helps & I'll do some more thinking/digging.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:40:54 AM »
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed!  :)

The info on the possible reinforcement by the 16 Air Assault Brigade is great - I've been wondering how to bring in some artillery and whether I could use Apaches or only Lynxes.

What about some armoured support? Surely I'll be facing enemy armour, either Cyprian T-80s and AMX-30s or Turkish M48s and M60s.
(Actually Cyprus was chosen for the amount of tanks on the island, and I'm leading the only armour-less force.  :D )

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »

(Actually Cyprus was chosen for the amount of tanks on the island, and I'm leading the only armor-less force.  :D )
Just means you will be airlifted a ton an Anti-armor before proper support can arrive. Remember, there are lots of passes and rocky mountainous terrain. Blast Bridges, highway overpasses, collapse tunnels, Booby trap the gorges and take the high ground.
Armor is cool, but lacks eyes, hit them from ambush and knock out there scouts. Then beat feet to a new location. Control of the air. You got that, then you can halt any of there movements and stop supplies and troops coming in from the sea. You are playing for time. They got a lot to start with, but they can not resupply or get reinforcements. You can.
Give em a good jab to the face, then a low blow to the tender bits. And watch them come rushing to the treaty table.
Also Play up the NATO angle, any attack on a NATO nation or territory is considered an attack on them all. So this should give Turkey pause to fully committing to a formal war. Seeing as how they are also in NATO I mean. (there are also still NATO/US airbases in Turkey)     
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Also Play up the NATO angle, any attack on a NATO nation or territory is considered an attack on them all. So this should give Turkey pause to fully committing to a formal war. Seeing as how they are also in NATO I mean. (there are also still NATO/US airbases in Turkey)     
The NATO angle gets a bit complicated as we consider Greek forces supporting Cypriot forces, giving us a scenario with NATO countries on both sides of the conflict.
We'll figure something up - the campaign won't start till July, or maybe even August.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »
This gives you a list of current formations in the British Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_British_Army#Combat_Arms

Each brigade has a link giving the component units.

In reality it would probably take a significant amount of time to get units combat ready. In recent conflicts several regiments have usually had to be scoured to amass sufficient equipment to make one combat ready.

A British Armoured Regiment usually has 3 squadrons each with 4 troops of 3 Challenger 2s and an HQ troop of 2 more (for a total of 14). I'd suggest using 3 tank models and an HQ in CWC.

A British Armoured Infantry Battalion is mounted in Warriors and has 3 companies; each is made up of 3 platoons of 4 vehicles plus a company HQ of a further 2. Again I'd go for 3 Warriors, 3 Infantry (with MBT LAW - you'll need to make up stats for this) and an HQ. In addition there will be a Manoeuvre Support Coy with 12 Javelin Teams in 6 Warriors, 8 Scimitars and 6 81mm mortars; translating to 2 or 3 Javelin stands transported in Warriors, 2 Scimitars and an 81mm Mortar in an FV432. (The last that I heard one platoon in one rifle coy was trained as Sappers - this is NOT an additional platoon, but comes out of the original 9 platoons).

A Mechanised Battalion is similar to the Armoured Battalion but equipped with the re-built FV430 Bulldogs.

The Formation Reconnaissance regiments would have 3 Squadrons, 2-3 with 2 Sultans (HQ), 3 Troops of 4 Scimitars, a dismountable troop in 4 Spartans. They used to have a troop of 4 Strikers too, but I don't know if there is currently any ATGW support. So this would be an HQ, 3 Scimitars and a Spartan/Scout.

The third squadron could instead have all of the vehicles replaced with one of the newer generation light vehicles like Jackal, Foxhound or Panther.

The heavy equipment would almost certainly have to come by sea, but a few items could probably be lifted in C17s. British infantry are very well trained and regularly swap roles, so it is quite reasonable to fly in a battalion to fight on foot and then marry it up with its equipment later. If transported by sea they would probably be moved by the Royal Navy's amphibious ships, but these could take some time to get ready. If you follow the Falklands example they could be transported by requisitioned civilian ships (and this adds the possibility of a naval campaign using something like Shipwreck).

Again feel free to ask questions and I'll try to find out what I can.

And I look forward to hearing more!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
The NATO angle gets a bit complicated as we consider Greek forces supporting Cypriot forces, giving us a scenario with NATO countries on both sides of the conflict.
We'll figure something up - the campaign won't start till July, or maybe even August.
I guess that is what I was alluding to. But forgot to state it :P

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
Oooh - forgot artillery.

SP would be AS90 or the towed 105mm Light Gun. I believe that both use 8 gun batteries with 3 batteries per regiment. I'd use 2 models per battery. Heavy support is in troops of 4 MLRS which I think are 2 per battery and 3 batteries per regiment. Air defence would be Starstreak mounted on Stormers (or MANPADS in Landys) or Rapier.

And don't forget that the Royal Artillery would (in theory at least) have support from radars and UAVs and that the RAF has REAPER drones that can be armed.

AND I've just noticed that apparently the next 2 infantry battalions to be rotated into Cyprus will be mounted in Foxhound.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:05:46 PM by Hobbit »

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
I guess that is what I was alluding to. But forgot to state it :P
As of now, our scenario starts with the Cypriot National Guard attacking the Turkish-controlled part of the island, not the other way round. So it's the Greeks who are in a tough spot...
Of course the scenario might change, but at the moment my colleagues are discussing whether to use Ambush Alley and 15mm minis for clashes in Nikosia or stick with CWC and 3mm minis for the whole campaign...  :?

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
You could include tacit approval of Cypriot/Greek action from Russia and them vetoing any UN action as a way of countering a wider NATO involvement.