Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm Fallschirmjager + support units project...Now with painted figures!  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
I've finally made a start on a new 20mm project and am quite excited about building this bunch of plastic kits and painting some figures.

To start with I've put together some Fujimi Pak Guns, plus 2 Nebelwerfers from S-Model, which is a newish company from China. It's a start!

There are a few more bits and pieces and some more detailed photos on my blog:
http://flyinggorilla.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/20mm-fallschirmjager-army-part-1.html

-Kosta

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:51:39 PM by Super Mosca »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 20mm Fallschirmjager + support units project.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
Do you have a particular rule set in mind? I also like the extra effort you went to on the Nebelwerfers!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
Re: 20mm Fallschirmjager + support units project.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:51 AM »
Thanks von Lucky.
I'm more building these as a modelling exercise, but a friend of mine has been getting into IABSM, so I might look into that. I haven't looked at any army lists or anything.

-Kosta

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
Sure feels good to be moving ahead with this project. Here are some photos of the paratrooper sections:

I've posted a bunch of photos over on my blog: http://flyinggorilla.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/20mm-fallschirmjager-army-part-2.html

-Kosta

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Excellent!  :-* Even some Kettenrads, awesome!

May I ask which paints you used for the arid look?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
"Herr Oberst it appears that someone has neglected to paint your medals and shoulder straps!"  lol

I can understand the frustration of finishing a model and realising you missed something small. Regardless - excellent work, definitely worth the wait.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:04:04 AM by von Lucky »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Very nice work :-* :-* :-*

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Great stuff Kosta, and a nice blog too! :-* :-* :-* :-*

For your sculpts, I notice your green is quite light...can you share what recipe you are using??? Are you mixing Procreate with Green Stuff or something else...just wondering as I am dabbling in sculpting and would like to give it a try.

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
Thanks fellas!

@Belgian - Do you mean for the groundwork?
Rocks and sand were painted Vallejo 819 Iraqi Sand, followed by a wash of Iraqi Sand + 826 German Camo Medium Brown with a dash of  977 Desert Yellow (just to brighten it up a little)
Then the usual drybrush with some Iraqi Sand + White.

@ Arkoudaki - I'll give you the secret formula... but only this once  lol
It's Standard yellow-grey Milliput mixed with Green stuff. The ratio is 50/50. I find that this mix gives you the best properties of both putties.

-Kosta

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
fantastic! really love them, the conversions on the ketternkrad are awesome, love the splinter camo as well

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Thanks for the family secret Kosta. I haven't worked with miliput for donkeys so what does this addition to the mix give you in the way of sculpting...more firmness, more time, etc???

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
Sorry for the late reply Arkoudaki.
Basically it works out like this, and this is just my own personal experiance, other sculptors may use different techniques that give them different results to mine... but here we go:

Milliput has a pretty chalky or crumbly nature that can sometimes make smaller details hard to make or weak once its hardned.
Green Stuff has a sort of rubbery texture that makes it hard to sand once its cured, but it is strong and a little flexible.

Once mixed, the combo holds detail well, is strong, and can also be carved and sanded easily.
Hope this helps.

-Kosta

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Thanks Kosta, I will give it a try. I have been mixing up ProCreate and Green Stuff with some not too bad results...will also try using some Magic Sculpt mixes with the above and see how it goes. I started off using ProCreate so I have gotten use to it...I find the Green Stuff more difficult to work with....as more Miliput, I always thought it was bad for you (and your skin), so I never really used it...

Thanks again for the tips! :)