Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dead Man's Hand vs Fistful of Lead  (Read 10238 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Dead Man's Hand vs Fistful of Lead
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
I would like to point out I predate LOTOW and TRWNN.  lol

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:21 AM »
Are either set of rules suited to solo play?  Or should I just stick with Six Gun Sound?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »
Shoot N' Skedaddle is/will be very solo-friendly.  I'll keep you posted Nick.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
Stop teasing us Elbows, get the rules to the publisher already! :)

Offline greatescapegames

• Scientist
    • Great Escape Games
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Are either set of rules suited to solo play?  Or should I just stick with Six Gun Sound?

I think it's great for solo play. The way that the initiative cards work would be a good way for a game specifically designed for solo play.
Publisher of "Clash of Empires" Ancient and Medieval wargaming rules, and "Rules of Engagement", WW2 wargaming in 28mm, at www.greatescapegames.co.uk

Offline freewargamesrules

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »

Bought your rules a few months ago and they replaced LOTOW and TRWNN for me. Do not intend to get DMH though as happy with what I've got

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
Bought your rules a few months ago and they replaced LOTOW and TRWNN for me. Do not intend to get DMH though as happy with what I've got
Is that you Pete?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

Then it's about time you pulled your finger out & did something about the campaign system you were talking about adding to your awesome rules. Although, having said that, it was a few years ago & I might well have imagined the whole conversation  :D
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
Are either set of rules suited to solo play?  Or should I just stick with Six Gun Sound?

I think 6GS is a brilliant system and the campaign mode is probably second to none! I have a campaign that I need to continue, made it to 1880 so far, 5 years left to go to see if they survive...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:05:23 PM by Legionnaire »
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline 6sided

• Bookworm
  • Revolutionaryroads.com
    • Revolutionary Wargaming Roads
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
Both fistful of lead and DMH sound a lot like the rules with no name.  So perhaps its just certain mechanisms suit gunfights....
GLORY - A new set of grand-tactical American Civil War Rules.

click for more info on Glory

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
I can speak for FfoL and that its not like RWNN. You have more control over what you do.
As far as campaigns, I have been dragging my feet because I feel most of time even the best rules become unbalanced after a few games. I have a skeleton in place but it is on the sideline for now. I'm working on another project and dealing with an aging parent with significant health problems. Ah life, why do always get in the way of my fun?

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »
Hello,

here in Germany, Berlin, Old West Settings / Tabletops are played rarely.
But last shopping day at my local Tabletop Store i saw the wonderful Black Scorpion Minis and just had to buy some.  :-*
After a quick research i chose DMH as my Old West System, read it and think that the rules are quite good.
After hearing about Fistful of Lead i bought it, too, and i noticed, that there are realy many similaritys, as they were mentioned here.
Unfortunately i promised (me) not to play the games until i painted my minis, so in the meantime i will read through the fantastic stuff you posted guys.

Which one of the two games do you guys prefer and why?

In my opinion both games are solid and good. Thanks to the "producer".
I think i will play both games.
Maybe FoL at the beginning with Tabletop-NewBe's or bigger Gaming Sessions (more player than 2) and later on switching to DMH.

+++

In the case of FoL i do like the idea of having more controle, by choosing which figure i will activate next time and not having cards lying on the table.
However rifles seem to dont have a disadvantage compared to pistols. In DMH pistols get the +2 in Point Blank Range and Rifles/Shotguns are restricted anyway.
Ok, this is no problem in FoL, if you give both sides the same weapon options.

In DMH i like the differences between the gangs and the reference sheet with all the modifiers. Simple, but not too simple.
Also i like the Reputation System and the different Scenarios (Scenes), although i have to modify some of them to suit my Gaming table, which will be covered with less bulidings, but more Woods, rocks etc. (more Scenes in "outer-city-areas" are welcome!)

+++

In both games the Rules for Movement are a little bit to simple for me, but it is no problem to add houserules for walking trhough a forest (difficult terrain) by halving the movement value etc.
In both games i think (but have not yet tested it) the aim action seems to be a little bit of a useless thing. Why should i aim, if i could shoot a second (third) time. I think this will be used little?! In DMH for example it is:
1) First shot with no modifier. Second Shot with a -1 modifier. Two chances of roling a 1, but also two chances to hit the other guy (maybe roling a 19+).
2) Aim and than shoot with + 1 (maybe +2 would have been better?!).

The good thing by playing a game and providing all the gaming stuff for the takers (other players) is, that i can choose which system and houserules we will use. :P
Maybe putting the good things out of both systems together or add some things to one of the other system (game).  :)

Thanks and best regards,
Jan

(Sorry, i just can speak/write school english, it's not my first language)
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
Welcome Jan, to arguably the "home" of Old West gaming on the internet!  lol

Looking forward to seeing your figures and hear what you think about the games.  Always good to see some new blood in here!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »
Its always a quandry,

I have played rail wars for many a moon. Normally pick up games I found their mechanisms good for gun fighting even without characters involved (considering its steam punk) but gives a really fast (card based -mechanisms and poker chips for re-rolls etc)

I also for a while played LOTOW but as it was odd games now and again found it a bit of a bind to sort out stats sheets, different guns are a nice idea and characters etc but can also cause a pain when it is chucking a d6 for a couple of hours game and especially if you are hosting the game without buy in from others.

A mate recently picked up DMH so thought I would take a stab, just got it today and it sort of sits in similar vein to Rail wars for me though some limitations as its purely historical. It does meet needs for a quick pick up game but I think I could handle what is likely to arise from the next book in that more options, heroes and gunsluingers and possibly additional weapons. Fisticuffs seem a wee bit too simplistic when you consider how many punch ups happen in western movies, bar room brawls etc but not overly worried as if honest how many have interiors in building and then how many have ones that you can stage a huge group fight in...always bothered me as you then end up with a building over 30cm across and it could or would be out of scale when trying to fit in bases etc

My tuppence worth :D

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
Jan,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Wild West gaming. I can only speak to my baby Fistful of Lead. At it's heart, it is really a convention game/beer & pretzel rule set. But, I think you'll find has some depth when playing.
Fisticuffs or HTH fighting and "point blank" of FfoL are the same thing. When you get in close, it is assumed you're using whatever you have, knives, pistol butts, point blank shooting, etc. If you want detailed rules for bar room brawls FfoL is not for you. On the other hand, if you want to recreate a gun battle from a movie (as many as done) it's perfect. Recently someone posted the last battle from "Open Range".
As a rule of thumb when creating new gangs, I usually keep no more than half armed with rifles/shot guns.
Have fun, and keep the lead flying,
-J