Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690874
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN Rules queries  (Read 8787 times)

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
IHMN Rules queries
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »

Craig thought I would put my questions here…. Hope that is ok

If you shoot a machine gun at a group you can potentially kill lots of them. If the figures all have 1mm between them so they don't count as a group they would much safer. If that is correct is there any reason why you would let any of your figures touch each other?

How do you get a monocular targeting array, is it an optional purchase?

You have speeds for a horse and for a steam carriage, what about a horse drawn cart or a horse drawn bus?

Where did you get ophelia the police steam tank from?

Dr kobolt the engineer seems to be the only engineer that is not allowed grenades. Is that correct. Seems strange as the jagers are allowed grenades.

Ta

Andy

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: IHMN Rules queries
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
If rules questions are being put here then -

As someone who has foolishly missed acquiring the rules and will have to wait 'till May to get them, but with figures I want to start painting, adapting, and organising into companies, is there any way of finding out about making one's own coys, skills/weapons/character traits or whatnot - basically the company creation system? Not that I'm expecting extracts from the book to appear online, I'd just like some idea of what one can and can't do in creating one's own lists  :D

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »
I could answer most of those but I'll let Craig give 'official' answers. This one however I'll reply to.

The Ophelia is a tank belonging to Kev Dalimore which he converted several years ago while working for Foundry. The rear engine section is from an HO scale Stephenson's Rocket kit. In fact, I think it's this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-STEPHENSONS-ROCKET-1-76-Scale-scenery-Kit-00-HO-C46-/380601814185?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item589da2cca9

The rest of it is some scratch parts and a few pieces from the old GW Battlewagon.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
Dr kobolt the engineer seems to be the only engineer that is not allowed grenades. Is that correct. Seems strange as the jagers are allowed grenades.

I'll leave the rules questions to the authors for the most part, but I can answer this one!

The Engineer Talent gives the model the option to select what grenade type can be taken "where the option is given", it doesn't automatically give the option to use grenades. Hence, with the Prussian list, Kobalt (who does not have the option to take grenades) may not equip them, but the Jagers (who are allowed to take grenades) are limited to the explosive type listed in the options. Were the Jagers to have the Engineer talent, they could choose from any of the available types. Some Engineers are more focused on the field repair side of the Engineer Talent – others, such as Lord Curr's Mad Mick MacFarlane, are more versatile.

That said, if you want your Kobalt to have the option to take grenades, follow the game's Golden Rules – the points costs for grenades are there, so just make sure your opponent agrees, and up his cost accordingly.

As someone who has foolishly missed acquiring the rules and will have to wait 'till May to get them, but with figures I want to start painting, adapting, and organising into companies, is there any way of finding out about making one's own coys, skills/weapons/character traits or whatnot - basically the company creation system? Not that I'm expecting extracts from the book to appear online, I'd just like some idea of what one can and can't do in creating one's own lists

Yes. In addition to the pre-made Company lists, there is a full system included in the rulebook for creating your own Companies, weapons, armour, and Mystical Powers. Some more esoteric creations may require a spot of figuring out, but there's plenty of existing examples that can be adapted quite easily. There are no 'rules' per se (if memory serves, the only hard-and-fast ruling is that +2 is the maximum Speed bonus for a character), but you would need to work through the company creation system to get accurate points costs for the characters you build.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Double post - sorry!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:53:07 PM by Smith »

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »
Anyone know about my group question.

Machine guns shoot everyone in a group but if not touching only shoot one person.  Big difference, but I can't see any benefit anywhere to having figures touching so it sounds as though golden rule never leave your figures touching.

I suspect I am missing something....

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
Nope, you aren't missing anything. I thought you had to form a group in order to use volley fire but it turns out you don't. Terrain could force you into groups however and you can always shoot into combat :)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
Gentlemen,

My apologies for not getting in here sooner. I have been a 'little' busy with work and not online... :D

That said, let's have at it!

If you shoot a machine gun at a group you can potentially kill lots of them. If the figures all have 1mm between them so they don't count as a group they would much safer. If that is correct is there any reason why you would let any of your figures touch each other?

Right we have two different situations here:
 Rule 3.3.3 Shooting at groups of figures, is particularly interested in the effect of firing into a group of figures that are in base contact with each other such as in a Fight.
 Rule 3.3.6.2 Heavy weapons, allows you to ‘walk your fire’ against figures that are within 2″ of each other by splitting your SV. So if you have an SV of 3 you could shoot at one figure at +3, two figures – one at +2 and the other at +1, and finally at three figures – each at +1. So being 1mm away from one another isn’t necessarily safer.

How do you get a monocular targeting array, is it an optional purchase?

There is far more equipment listed than is covered by the Company lists. This is deliberate so you can include new equipment in Companies you design yourself. Also you could allow people to buy such extra equipment during a campaign, even though this is not generally allowed in 11.3 Spoils of war. You campaign, your rules.
 Note: Old Jeremiah in the wild West Show can purchase one.

You have speeds for a horse and for a steam carriage, what about a horse drawn cart or a horse drawn bus?

The problem here is the almost infinite combinations of number of horses, size of cart/wagon/carriage and the load it is carrying. As a default I’d say 6″.

I didn’t, it is in the ownership of Nick Eyre. I think that it is one of Ironclad Miniatures excellent little range of armoured victorian vehicles. By the way when we saw the photo in the proofs we just had to go back and add Armoured Steam carriage to the personal Transportation table

Just being an engineer doesn’t necessarily equate to a fascination with explosive devices. Dr Kobalt is a scientist with a fascination for electricity and reanimation. He has no interest in explosives “They are such crude tools when compared to the genius of my creations”.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
As someone who has foolishly missed acquiring the rules and will have to wait 'till May to get them, but with figures I want to start painting, adapting, and organising into companies, is there any way of finding out about making one's own coys, skills/weapons/character traits or whatnot - basically the company creation system? Not that I'm expecting extracts from the book to appear online, I'd just like some idea of what one can and can't do in creating one's own lists  :D

I am in the middle of writing an extensive article for the blog on this very issue. As an example I will be describing the creation of the unusual company of Lady Helen Quatermain, so you'll also get a brand new company free to play with :) I hope to have the article completed this weekend - but it is one of my daughter 17th birthday today so don't hold me to that.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

I didn’t, it is in the ownership of Nick Eyre. I think that it is one of Ironclad Miniatures excellent little range of armoured victorian vehicles. By the way when we saw the photo in the proofs we just had to go back and add Armoured Steam carriage to the personal Transportation table

Nope, it's Kev Dallimore's conversion as I said earlier. The steam tank we had on the table at Salute was an Ironclad one, but again it was Kev's.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
Thank you Smith and Dewkabuk for standing in in my unconscionable absence - stout fellow both!

Everyone - please feel free to pepper me with questions here and on the blog. The more we get the quicker I can create an FAQ document and help everyone.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
Nope, it's Kev Dallimore's conversion as I said earlier. The steam tank we had on the table at Salute was an Ironclad one, but again it was Kev's.

I bow to your greater knowledge. I made the mistake of reading and answering the first post without checking the subsequent one - my apologies.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
I have just gone and updated the same statement in my reply to Cpt Kremmen on the blog.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
Googling away, as you do, and came across this short review of the Rules and Lord Curr's Co. figures:

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
Got another one I am not quite sure about.

My Prussian Jagers have rifle and bayonet and bayonet training so great.

Most others players have a rifle and a bayonet but NOT the bayonet training. Presumably if these people were charged in combat they could not shoot in defensive fire as the rifle is a 2 handed weapon, and presumably they swap to the bayonet (not attached to the rifle) counting it as a knife in the hand to hand phase.  Is that correct.

Ta

Andy