Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is Malifaux broken?  (Read 12662 times)

Offline mistercactus

• Schoolboy
Re: Is Malifaux broken?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Yeah, it's kind of sad that the best use I've found for the hunter is it leaves 3 scrap counters when it dies! :)

Keeping the chat aligned to facing Mei, maybe throw the hunter into her crew to waste their ap killing it, then blow up the scrap counters for the blast damage?

Or use the harpoons on peacekeeper and hunter to pull Mei into open circuit range? with enough constructs in base contact that spell can be nasty. Then hit her with the entire crew. Always use the shield to hit with the guardian as it does 1dg when it misses.

Tbh, I suck with the guardian. I always end up moving away from him too fast for him to catch up and be useful.

New models: if I take Ryle, I also bring along a living model so he gets a free push to get himself into position to shoot. Usually I take a death Marshall, but against Mei I'd try a witchling for the anti casting aura he puts up. Then if she kills him, he blows up for 2dg.

Wardens look handy for the slow/paralysed shenanigans, but haven't tried them, since they are expensive money-wise.  :(

It's also an option to ignore the opposition crew as much as possible and focus on the strategy/schemes. Hoffman will probably struggle with any scenario that involves being in more than one place at once, but that's why there are 4 other masters in the faction (5 including Lucius). This design aspect is both a blessing and a curse. Personally I love it, but I can see that it can be a barrier to new or more lukewarm players. I'm both a henchman and a Malifaux podcaster, so I'm obviously fairly invested in the game. Primarily a Sonnia player, but Hoffman is my go-to guy for claim jump!

Offline fear_the_squirrels

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 02:27:03 AM »
I have a feeling that if I carry on, I might have to (gag) buy another mini or two, get a bit more firepower in the crew to see if I can pick off rail workers at range. Ryle, maybe. I have Rusty Alice, but her gun doesn't seem overly effective.  

Convict Gunslinger or the ubiquitous Nino are good for long range in Guild.

-TOC

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
Well, Malifaux 2nd ed has just been announced as going to pre-order in August...

Release in October, very long wait there!!!  :(

I hope it's worth it, Ihave dropped quite a lot of money on malifaux, but I have faith! At least they are making Gremlins their own faction now!!!  :D

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
Well, Malifaux 2nd ed has just been announced as going to pre-order in August...

I hope it's worth it, Ihave dropped quite a lot of money on malifaux, but I have faith! At least they are making Gremlins their own faction now!!!  :D

If it's anything like their other pre-order stuff it means you'll be able to order it at GenCon, receive it some time that month, and then it goes into general sale in October.

In the meantime we'll be able to do open beta testing, which I'm really excited about.

All in all I think it's going to be a good thing. They've learned pretty quickly, and if this last book is any indication I think 2.0 will be pretty awesome.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
I wonder how they are going to deal with updated cards for people who have already bought crews? Faction card packs?

• Schoolboy
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Hah!   Was going to stop by and say my prediction was way off!  Looks like I was beaten to it.

I imagine that it will be faction card packs.  Though they may do a card swap program like they did when they revised them a while back.

-TOC

Offline mistercactus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »
Our interview with designers Justin Gibbs and Mack Martin: http://theaethervox.com/

There are similar interviews in most of the Malifaux podcasts if you don't like the sound of our voices! :)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Saw that right now on "Brückenkopf Online", check it out ;)
http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=80880

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
Though they may do a card swap program like they did when they revised them a while back.

-TOC

That was an awful, awful disaster for them. Nathan pointed out that if they can avoid it at all they'll never do that again.

My bet is faction packs or pdf's online. They've talking about faction packs in the past, so, that may end up being it.

My only fear is that the game will get dumbed down. I don't THINK it will happen, it's just in the back of my head.

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
That was an awful, awful disaster for them. Nathan pointed out that if they can avoid it at all they'll never do that again.

My bet is faction packs or pdf's online. They've talking about faction packs in the past, so, that may end up being it.

My only fear is that the game will get dumbed down. I don't THINK it will happen, it's just in the back of my head.

Never heard that the card swap program was a disaster, but didn't take them up on it so didn't pay a ton of attention to it.  Any reason why it was a disaster? 

-TOC

Offline mistercactus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
I think it was just a nightmare for them in terms of man hours and logistics.

2nd ed. faction decks will be for sale for anyone wanting to update existing models. New models will obviously be released with the correct cards.

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
Never heard that the card swap program was a disaster, but didn't take them up on it so didn't pay a ton of attention to it.  Any reason why it was a disaster? 

-TOC

mistercactus hit it in one. My understanding is that it tied the warehouse up for quite a while. From community feedback from the time it seemed that it was a bit of a pain there as well. It seems (and I obviously cannot speak for the company here, and none of this is coming from privileged information, just my own perceptions) that it was decided to explore other avenues, such as continuing to put the new card versions up for free online.

The community has mentioned the use of faction packs or the like, and Wyrd has been shockingly good at following these kinds of suggestions. I imagine that will be where they go, though I could definitely be wrong.

I'm excited about getting a cleaner set of rules. I never thought the first set was unplayable, or broken, it was just a bit rough digging through things at times. I'm also really glad they didn't do this as a knee jerk reaction giving us a V2 that was even more problematic. I think it's that calm analysis of situations like this that has built so much credibility for Wyrd with me.

Anyway, long winded and somewhat tangential, so, my apologies!

• Schoolboy
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Listening to the Aethervox interview, it sounds interesting.  Doesn't look like it will be 'dumbed down' at all.  Crew sizes about the same.  I am a bit sad to hear that the different avatar manifestation criteria will go away.  It also sounds like going avatar may be required, though I may have heard it wrong.

The ability cards sounds look a good idea in the long run.  Being able to easily add abilities in later to models now I quite like for long term viability.

-TOC

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »

Yes but it will be up against the soon to be released Brokeback Mordheim.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
I've been getting snippets of info from my henchman friend too, so I'm feeling better about Malifaux 2. Apprehensive, but better.

Also, feeling a bit better about the current edition, after a few days 'recovery'. ;D At the mo I wish my ancient hand-me-down pc could run vassal, for a few practise games between the one every 2-3 weeks...