Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Wargamers are we MUGS ?  (Read 5221 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fantasy Wargamers are we MUGS ?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
Admitadly a few years ago, but what brought this (higher prices for fantasy) home to me was in the then local Virgin record store (Coventry UK) I saw the IDENTICAL casting on the same display rack (Yes they did sell wargames figures then)in one blister it was marked as 'Medieval Bishop'. It cost £0.90. In another blister (only inches away)it was marked as 'Lawful Mage'. That one cost £3,20!!!!!!! 
None of the above arguments can convince me that it was not simply a rip off of fantasy wargamers. Having said that, if they still insisted on the 'Lawful Mage' they deserve all they get. On that line some comments I have heard:
'I cannot use that shade of green paint on my Elves, It is Goblin green'
'You can't have those Sci-Fi figures with blue armour, they are Red redemptionists!'
'Those Dwarves are lovely, are they new ones from GW?' 'No just cut the spikes off the Chaos ones' 'Oh you can't do that'
Please note I freely admit that I play fantasy/Sci-Fi/ Historical and have been in a reenactment society (So every one can have a go at me)

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »

Here is the answer to your question: the size of the weapon multiplies the price by 2. ;)
Here you can see my stuffs!!!

http://sybouslair.blogspot.co.uk

workerBee

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
<snip>
Please note I freely admit that I play fantasy/Sci-Fi/ Historical and have been in a reenactment society (So every one can have a go at me)

You are not alone.

Guilty on all counts.  Still do 3 out of 4.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Hi Lads
   Its nice to see such a big reply so quick,and i love seeing your replies to my question .

Glen
   some of us have to work and have family ties so cant get on the machine 24/7 .

As for me buying over the odds figures i havent bought any GW shuff in over 20 years , last thing i bought had a citidel tag on it .
People are right to pay £10 for a fig if they what to ! but its not my cup of tea ..

I would rather have a 30 man unit than a 6 fig unit on the table for the same price Thats why i Wargame in historical more than fantasy but i have returned to fantasy wargaming the last few weeks .

peter pig and chariot minature do some cracking 15mm stuff and thats where i get most of my minatures from.

I dont see many  large fantasy 25mm on the same scale as say a napoleonic armies at my club /around maybe it just the plain fact that it would cost a arm and a leg to buy !  i hate seeing a 25mm unit of say 6 figs and thats called a regiment of choas knights with flaming dobbers and all (at 140pts each and a poor orc is like 10pts) ! it just does not look right on the battlefield in my eye ,but hay horse for  courses . that more down to the rules so i should not go there.

So at the end of the day i dont and will never buy any over the priced figures end of..

happy gaming all thanks for your input on this .

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Erm,a lot of historical figures are sculpted using dollies,making it easier to sculpt battalions et cetera,this also makes things a little cheaper for us; a fair few fantasy figures are sculpted as one off miniatures,not relying on an standard dollie,this adds to the sculpting time and cost.
    This subject comes up all the time,since I was a lad actually; really it comes down to what you like,I'm happy to pay 10 quid for a single figure if I like it,it's my bit of fun,I 'm also happy to spend a load of money on for instance Asgard fantasy,not because they are cheap,it's because I love the sculpts. Really you get what you pay for,and what you make of it :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:05:29 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

workerBee

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
Hi Lads
   Its nice to see such a big reply so quick,and i love seeing your replies to my question .

Glen
   some of us have to work and have family ties so cant get on the machine 24/7 .

As for me buying over the odds figures i havent bought any GW shuff in over 20 years , last thing i bought had a citidel tag on it .
People are right to pay £10 for a fig if they what to ! but its not my cup of tea ..

I would rather have a 30 man unit than a 6 fig unit on the table for the same price Thats why i Wargame in historical more than fantasy but i have returned to fantasy wargaming the last few weeks .

peter pig and chariot minature do some cracking 15mm stuff and thats where i get most of my minatures from.

I dont see many  large fantasy 25mm on the same scale as say a napoleonic armies at my club /around maybe it just the plain fact that it would cost a arm and a leg to buy !  i hate seeing a 25mm unit of say 6 figs and thats called a regiment of choas knights with flaming dobbers and all (at 140pts each and a poor orc is like 10pts) ! it just does not look right on the battlefield in my eye ,but hay horse for  courses . that more down to the rules so i should not go there.

So at the end of the day i dont and will never buy any over the priced figures end of..

happy gaming all thanks for your input on this .

Two n's.  ;)

I spin a lot of time watching computers "processing data" (Zzzzz) and laoding imagery (ZZZZZZZZZ)  so I have a screen on my unclassified computer that lets me stay awake reading LAF, Drudge Report, Jewish World Review, and passing Unclassified but Sensitive material from multiple sources with work associates scattered at multiple sites.  Yes, it is unintended benefit of the job.   :D

I pretty much are reducing my Fantasy armies "back" to Der Kriegspieler, 1970's Ral Partha, and the occasional gems I find with currently produced figures for non-humans.  I pretty much stick to historical figures for Humans.

"People are right to pay £10 for a fig if they what to ! but its not my cup of tea" - Pretty much my thought.

"
I would rather have a 30 man unit than a 6 fig unit on the table" - Hordes of Orcs, Dwarves, Barbarians, et. al., sholud look like hordes IMO.

"I dont see many  large fantasy 25mm on the same scale as say a napoleonic armies" - I have over 400 dwarves (my main fantasy forces)  :o  - now painted are somewhat less...   :'(  It's a start...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Horses for courses as far as I am concerned. Its up to the individual at the end of the day. After years of large Historical armies, though having dabbled at one point or antoher in most genres, I have found myself gaming with fantasy more and more.

Not so much GW, as I think they are less versatile in their models and very much follow their script..so not playing their rules no need to pay the price. However I have picked up old marauder ones for my Dwarves if lucky enough and they command an impressive penny on ebay.

I think the arguement links into rules etc too and what your pocket, time allow. If I want a napoleonic Brgade or Divison in 28mm can I afford to pick the best (insert latest models etc) will I mix in others to fit. More to the point will I ahve enough time to paint up 300 foot and 80 horse plus artillery?

or if doing a fantasy army will 50-100 figures get job done so for a project I spend the same as for a hisotrical mass army as above but get the same satisfaction.

All ranges have their fans and detractors thats the joy of the hobby. there are stunning models out there which just dont float my boat, whilst others are blobs of lead that I might fancy dabbling with to satisfy my latest fad or craze.

My tuppence worth :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »
Just so you can see I am not totally against KS or new miniatures, early this week my McKrakken's Glory Squad from Stonehaven Miniatures for a "no particular reason" gift for my wife.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline ar-pharazon

• Assistant
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Historicals are always a good option for the bulk of a fantasy army when the armies are often based on historical ones.

GW has 100 Years War Bretonnians, Renaissance Dogs of War and Empire

Zvezda had Undead Romans and War of the Roses like humans

I've used Moors for Haradrim, Ancient celts for Dunlendings, Vikings for assorted Men of the North

Elves and Trolls I've seen different ranges/scales used with paint jobs to emphasise the Elfy/Troll nature

Of course, in comparison, Historicals are not as cheap compared to fantasy as they used to be, but its a useful thing to do

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »
Just so you can see I am not totally against KS or new miniatures, early this week my McKrakken's Glory Squad from Stonehaven Miniatures for a "no particular reason" gift for my wife.

Gracias,

Glenn

How do you like them? I ordered McKrakken's and Hero's of Sprokeshire and a few add-ons. I loved their dwarves.

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 07:32:09 AM »
Just compare Perry Lotr models by GW to Perry historics. 1 Dude on horse 8,20
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat980009a&prodId=prod1500358a

3 from Perry for 8,- :
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_33_52&products_id=1759

Same quality, same sculptor and since the shift to Failcrap more expensive material and metal horses on the cheaper ones...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:36:40 AM by Mo! »
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers